Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:43:53 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  cooking/food thread. i can't find my old one, lol! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: cooking/food thread. i can't find my old one, lol!  (Read 39382 times)
316zombie
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 07:08:47 PM »

dang it, i just realized i was hitting quote instead of reply, sorry!
 miscfit, do you have a certain seasoning or technique for fish? because i am NOT good with fish on a flame grill, and being a new englander, i tend to over season fish.
  john,HORSERADISH?? really? how much do you use? BFF would love this, he eats it raw.
ER, the ones you make, do they have like a chewy exterior? i'd like that recipe if possible. i've never managed to figure out how to get my beloved potato rolls to be that light on the inside and still have the chewy outside.
  indi, i challenge you to a chili recipe duel! MY chili recipe is even  made in oz now! * when they have the patience, that is*
  rev, tell me about your stew. we eat A LOT of stews and soups,and i make them for the homeless outreach program i work with,we're always looking for new recipes.
claws
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 07:40:45 PM »

Last weekend I made something called Hunter's Pot, which is a classic German "Oven Pot" or "Party Pot" (very popular in Germany) recipe from the 1990s that's circulating again these days. What you need is a pot with a lid (or aluminum foil) that you can put in the oven. Ingredients:

2.3 lbs pork cubed and tossed with 2 1/2 tbsp pork seasoning mix (Preferably from Maggi but any other will do). Layer at the bottom of the pot. Now add
10 slices of American (or any kind of processed) cheese on top of the pork. Add
2 leeks, sliced and
10 oz. (You can add more) of canned mushrooms (drained) or fresh if you will. Add
2-3 (preference) large onions finely chopped and about
8 oz. cubed bacon.
Optional (not part of the original recipe): add 1 tbsp coarsely cracked peppercorns.

Mix 2 1/2 cups heavy cream (optional: half and half) with three pouches Mushroom Gravy Mix (3 x 0.75 oz.) and pour in the pot. Refrigerate overnight.

Put the pot with lid in the oven at 390 F for about 70-80 minutes. Stir and done. Serve with baguette or rice and a nice green salad. Feeds about 5-6 people. For a "Party Pot" version just double the ingredients and cook in the oven for two hours. Enough for 10-12 people.

LOVE Maggi seasonings, thank you claws! now, i wonder what i could sub for the mushrooms and mushroom gravy, neither of us like them. maybe chopped potatoes? and pork gravy? this i would make for hubby, as i am SO not into onions, but he loves them. i think i'll experiment with this, i've got a TON of pork loin in the freezer.

You could substitute mushrooms with zucchini, eggplant or ground beef or experiment with potatoes. As for the mushroom gravy mix, any other mix without shrooms should be ok. Onions - I think diced bell peppers would make for a good substitute.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 08:03:24 PM »

miscfit, do you have a certain seasoning or technique for fish? because i am NOT good with fish on a flame grill, and being a new englander, i tend to over season fish.
  john,HORSERADISH?? really? how much do you use? BFF would love this, he eats it raw.
ER, the ones you make, do they have like a chewy exterior? i'd like that recipe if possible. i've never managed to figure out how to get my beloved potato rolls to be that light on the inside and still have the chewy outside.
  indi, i challenge you to a chili recipe duel! MY chili recipe is even  made in oz now! * when they have the patience, that is*
  rev, tell me about your stew. we eat A LOT of stews and soups,and i make them for the homeless outreach program i work with,we're always looking for new recipes.
Actually, it's PREPARED HORSERADISH.  I used to use Gold's but their quality went down.  It's both the pureed radish and vinegar that makes the meatballs perfect.  I could see making them hot, but I never have.  You really can't taste that it's in there. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:06:10 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 08:04:06 PM »

I know how to make snowflake rolls.
Is that with Coconut?  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:11:40 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
316zombie
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 08:25:55 PM »

thank you claws and john! * i HOPE there's no coconut, i'm lethally allergic*
  okay, it occurred to me just now that i spaced on posting a recipe myself. so, i went and got this,because i think it will make you smile!

now, i don't expect anyone to actually make these, but i thought this might give you a giggle. it's a recipe for polish cabbage rolls,golubkis. i wrote it down as a child,and "translated" it for an old friend and posted it on facebook for him.

GOLUBKIS(GUAMPIES)( or in my words,gwompies)

equipment-
a really big pot( with a steamer or pasta insert,if you have one)
a medium size pot
a small pot with a lid
two big glass casserole pans
a big glass bowl
a small glass bowl
a deep medium size frying pan
measuring spoons and cups
a grater that fits in the small bowl
a big spoon
a flipper( spatula)
a big table or counter
tinfoil
plastic wrap
cookie paper( parchment paper)
a kitchen towel
a big sharp knife
a wooden spoon
a pair of grabbers( tongs?)
cookie pans(sheet pans)

ingredients-

one head of green(savoy) cabbage
kosher salt(use as you go)( lol,i wrote crunchy salt!)
water

one cup of uncooked brown rice
two cups of beef stock
one tablespoon butter

one medium yellow onion,grated in the small bowl
one small carrot,grated in the small bowl
five garlic cloves( for some reason i wrote five garlic arms),smashed
one tablespoon tomato paste
four tablespoons butter
a dash of worcestershire sauce( giggling, i wrote wussy sauce! )

three cans tomato sauce(six cups)
half a cup of beef stock
two beef cubes( boullion)
one teaspoon oregano( this has to be what "orgno" means)
one teaspoon besel( basil,i think)
one cup of sour cream
one can of crunched tomatoes,split in half (crushed tomatoes?)
( half for sauce,half for meat,use the juice for soup)

one pound of ground beef
one pound of ground pork
one pound of ground veal
two whipped raw eggs
some salt and pepper
one teaspoon pamperka( paprika??)

HOW TO COOK AND WHEN( my childhood self talking...interesting to know i was so detailed with recipes even back then!)

first cut the core out of the cabbage and put it in the big pot. fill the pot with water until the cabbage is completely covered,then take it back out of the pot,throw in a handful of salt and bring to boil,then put the cabbage back in the water.BE CAREFUL! * i figure if you're using an insert,measure the water with it in the pot too*
boil until the leaves get soft and you can pull them off. hold it down with the wooden spoon and use the grabbers to pull the leaves off,BE CAREFUL! TURN THE HEAT DOWN! * this must have been the year i scalded myself ,or annie made me write down all the be carefuls, i can't remember ,lol! but i'm including them anyway*
lay the leaves on the cookie pans and sprinkle each layer with crunchy salt before you add more layers. SAVE THE WATER! ( no idea why, i guess for the soup that the tomato juice goes in,lol! )

next, put the rice stuff in the small pot ( this explains why i separated out the written ingredients?), bring it to a boil,then turn it down to just bubbling( simmer?),cover it and cook for 15 minutes. turn the heat off, then let it sit until you need it for the stuffing.

now we cook the other filling stuff. heat up the butter and cook it all except the paste and Wsauce until it's soft and smelly( i think i meant fragrant, lol!).
then add the paste and Wsauce and cook until it's dry...i think i meant until there was no liquid...and put it back in the small glass bowl and let it sit until you need it.

next is the sauce. put the tomato sauce and the spices in the medium pot. use the beef stock to rinse out the cans and dump that stock into the frying pan so you can scrape all the crunchies out( deglaze, in other words) , add all that with the tomato sauce and half of the crunched tomatoes .
cook this on low until it's hot, then turn off the heat and whip in the sour cream. set away for now.

then we take all the meat and stuff and put it in the big glass bowl. add in the rice and the onion stuff too, and the other crunched tomatoes. squish it all up until it's mixed good.
FINALLY ( my god, i was NOT a patient little person, i think! ) we get to make the gwompies! * yes, i really wrote that!*
cover the table with plastic wrap first. lay down the leaves with the stem up,then take your big knife and shave off the thick parts on the back, and cut out the thick part at the bottom in the shape of a vee. BE CAREFUL,THEY ARE HOT STILL! then turn them back over.
put a handful of the meat stuff in each one in a tube shape, about an inch above where we cut the vee. fold that bottom part over the meat, then fold the sides in to cover the ends of the meat tube and roll it up REALLY TIGHT!
put it on the table with the edge down so it stays together. keep doing this until you run out of meat stuff.
then you schmeer( smear?) some sauce into the buttered casserole pans on the bottom. tear up the small leaves and put some in the bottom,save the rest for soup( there's that soup thing again!).
put the gwompies in the pans, make sure the edge is facing down, and they are tight together , like sardines in the can are. then cover them with the sauce. add some water if you need to( no clue what that's about) .
cover them with cookie paper and then tinfoil. put them in the oven on 325 durgees( degrees) and go watch all my children and one life to live while you have lunch. * this would be 2 hours* they should be nice and soft and the sauce is bubbly by then. uncover them and let them cool, then cover them in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge. eat them cold the next day.
* on the bottom i wrote" these are nasty, but daddy likes them" !*

so there it is! Smacznego!!!

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 03:41:31 AM »

indi, i challenge you to a chili recipe duel! MY chili recipe is even  made in oz now! * when they have the patience, that is*
Actually, it's PREPARED HORSERADISH.  I used to use Gold's but their quality went down.  It's both the pureed radish and vinegar that makes the meatballs perfect.  I could see making them hot, but I never have.  You really can't taste that it's in there. 

Horseradish is the Food of the Gods.  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 03:44:30 AM »

thank you claws and john! * i HOPE there's no coconut, i'm lethally allergic*
  okay, it occurred to me just now that i spaced on posting a recipe myself. so, i went and got this,because i think it will make you smile!

now, i don't expect anyone to actually make these, but i thought this might give you a giggle. it's a recipe for polish cabbage rolls,golubkis. i wrote it down as a child,and "translated" it for an old friend and posted it on facebook for him.

GOLUBKIS(GUAMPIES)( or in my words,gwompies)

equipment-
a really big pot( with a steamer or pasta insert,if you have one)
a medium size pot
a small pot with a lid
two big glass casserole pans
a big glass bowl
a small glass bowl
a deep medium size frying pan
measuring spoons and cups
a grater that fits in the small bowl
a big spoon
a flipper( spatula)
a big table or counter
tinfoil
plastic wrap
cookie paper( parchment paper)
a kitchen towel
a big sharp knife
a wooden spoon
a pair of grabbers( tongs?)
cookie pans(sheet pans)

ingredients-

one head of green(savoy) cabbage
kosher salt(use as you go)( lol,i wrote crunchy salt!)
water

one cup of uncooked brown rice
two cups of beef stock
one tablespoon butter

one medium yellow onion,grated in the small bowl
one small carrot,grated in the small bowl
five garlic cloves( for some reason i wrote five garlic arms),smashed
one tablespoon tomato paste
four tablespoons butter
a dash of worcestershire sauce( giggling, i wrote wussy sauce! )

three cans tomato sauce(six cups)
half a cup of beef stock
two beef cubes( boullion)
one teaspoon oregano( this has to be what "orgno" means)
one teaspoon besel( basil,i think)
one cup of sour cream
one can of crunched tomatoes,split in half (crushed tomatoes?)
( half for sauce,half for meat,use the juice for soup)

one pound of ground beef
one pound of ground pork
one pound of ground veal
two whipped raw eggs
some salt and pepper
one teaspoon pamperka( paprika??)

HOW TO COOK AND WHEN( my childhood self talking...interesting to know i was so detailed with recipes even back then!)

first cut the core out of the cabbage and put it in the big pot. fill the pot with water until the cabbage is completely covered,then take it back out of the pot,throw in a handful of salt and bring to boil,then put the cabbage back in the water.BE CAREFUL! * i figure if you're using an insert,measure the water with it in the pot too*
boil until the leaves get soft and you can pull them off. hold it down with the wooden spoon and use the grabbers to pull the leaves off,BE CAREFUL! TURN THE HEAT DOWN! * this must have been the year i scalded myself ,or annie made me write down all the be carefuls, i can't remember ,lol! but i'm including them anyway*
lay the leaves on the cookie pans and sprinkle each layer with crunchy salt before you add more layers. SAVE THE WATER! ( no idea why, i guess for the soup that the tomato juice goes in,lol! )

next, put the rice stuff in the small pot ( this explains why i separated out the written ingredients?), bring it to a boil,then turn it down to just bubbling( simmer?),cover it and cook for 15 minutes. turn the heat off, then let it sit until you need it for the stuffing.

now we cook the other filling stuff. heat up the butter and cook it all except the paste and Wsauce until it's soft and smelly( i think i meant fragrant, lol!).
then add the paste and Wsauce and cook until it's dry...i think i meant until there was no liquid...and put it back in the small glass bowl and let it sit until you need it.

next is the sauce. put the tomato sauce and the spices in the medium pot. use the beef stock to rinse out the cans and dump that stock into the frying pan so you can scrape all the crunchies out( deglaze, in other words) , add all that with the tomato sauce and half of the crunched tomatoes .
cook this on low until it's hot, then turn off the heat and whip in the sour cream. set away for now.

then we take all the meat and stuff and put it in the big glass bowl. add in the rice and the onion stuff too, and the other crunched tomatoes. squish it all up until it's mixed good.
FINALLY ( my god, i was NOT a patient little person, i think! ) we get to make the gwompies! * yes, i really wrote that!*
cover the table with plastic wrap first. lay down the leaves with the stem up,then take your big knife and shave off the thick parts on the back, and cut out the thick part at the bottom in the shape of a vee. BE CAREFUL,THEY ARE HOT STILL! then turn them back over.
put a handful of the meat stuff in each one in a tube shape, about an inch above where we cut the vee. fold that bottom part over the meat, then fold the sides in to cover the ends of the meat tube and roll it up REALLY TIGHT!
put it on the table with the edge down so it stays together. keep doing this until you run out of meat stuff.
then you schmeer( smear?) some sauce into the buttered casserole pans on the bottom. tear up the small leaves and put some in the bottom,save the rest for soup( there's that soup thing again!).
put the gwompies in the pans, make sure the edge is facing down, and they are tight together , like sardines in the can are. then cover them with the sauce. add some water if you need to( no clue what that's about) .
cover them with cookie paper and then tinfoil. put them in the oven on 325 durgees( degrees) and go watch all my children and one life to live while you have lunch. * this would be 2 hours* they should be nice and soft and the sauce is bubbly by then. uncover them and let them cool, then cover them in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge. eat them cold the next day.
* on the bottom i wrote" these are nasty, but daddy likes them" !*

so there it is! Smacznego!!!

DAM! I was gonna post a glumpkis recipe! Now I have to think of something else. Glumpkis is my favorite food in the WHOLE WORLD.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
claws
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 03:59:21 AM »

My secret ingredient is horseradish. 

Mine is French Onion Soup mix. No other spices needed when I add the mix, except for parsley to give it a bit of color. Parmesan is a must, they make the meat tender.
I rarely use eggs as my meatballs hold together on their own very well without. I don't add breadcrumbs to the mix, but I roll the meatballs in breadcrumbs because I love me a crunchy crust on them balls.

I do like horseradish very much so I will have to try that!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 04:08:39 AM »

I love me a crunchy crust on them balls.

No comment.  Twirling

EDIT: Your last name wouldn't happen to be 'Shweaty', would it?  Question
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:47:17 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
claws
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 04:23:16 AM »

Buggedout
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 07:40:28 AM »

Never heard of Glumpkis before but looking into it I just didn't know the name.

Reminds me of Kousa, an arabic dish my grandmother made (amongst many)

https://thelemonbowl.com/lebanese-stuffed-kousa-squash/

I basically live in the foodie capital of my country and there isn't a type of food I don't like trying out either eating or cooking...

A good go-to for parties and just general snacking that always goes down well is homemade labneh (a yoghurt dip) with pita chips.

Basic idea is

Ingredients:
1kg of plain yoghurt (I use greek but other types ok as long as it's not sweetened rubbish)
Pita bread
Olive Oil
Butter (optional)
Cheese Cloth or similar (for draining the yoghurt)
Ground cumin
Lemon pepper seasoning. I buy from the store in a package, but it's basically this mixed:
zest from 4-6 lemons (or 1/2 cup pre-dried lemon zest)
6 Tablespoons ground black pepper (or whole peppercorns if you are using fresh lemon)
5 Tablespoons Himalayan Salt or Sea Salt.

Process:

Labneh -
Get yoghurt and put in cheesecloth or similar to drain. The traditional way was in a cheese cloth bag hung somewhere over a sink, but I just use a cut up cloth of similar material (a cheap singlet) and put it in a sieve which is in a pot. I usually drain it overnight, say 10-12 hours. When done you should have a cheesy type yoghurt left over. Dispose of drained liquid, put yoghurt in a container and in a fridge until ready to be served. When you serve it pour a bit of olive oil over it and give it a dust with the ground cumin.

Traditional method:

More along the lines of what I do:

Pita Chips:
Halve your pita bread by opening it up. On the inside coat with butter or spray with olive oil and add the lemon pepper seasoning. Put under the oven grill until pita is nice and crispy. When cooled break into pieces, grab one and use it to dip into the labne.  Thumbup Thumbup

You can vary it up with different toppings/keep it as simple as you like but it'll end up being something like this (the picture has dukkah on the labne but I don't bother going that far

An all time favourite that is a flavour sensation.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
316zombie
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 06:06:40 PM »

rc,my love, light of my life, heart of my heart. you live in michigan,could you get me a recipe for REAL cornish pasties, please? none of my friends up there will share theirs, the little grunts!
  claws, you'd be amazed at how many people think i'm crazy because i don't use binders in my meatballs. i actually boil them in water with a ton of spices for flavor before they go in my sauce( which takes 2 days to cook,btw) then simmer the whole thing for a good 8 hours so the meatballs absorb even more flavor. i defat most everything as much as possible, hubby has to watch his fat and sodium intake.
  dean! oooohhh dean!! thank you so much, i wondered how to properly drain the yoghurt for so many recipes. i used to work for a lebanese family, there were recipes that were NOT shared with the staff, ever. randa( one of the sisters) used to make this sauce with what she called ' yoghurt drip" ,any idea what it is? it tasted of mint and something slightly bitter?
316zombie
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 06:11:26 PM »

back ina bit with some chimi recipes for alex and kristi,and whoever likes them too.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »

rc,my love, light of my life, heart of my heart. you live in michigan,could you get me a recipe for REAL cornish pasties, please? none of my friends up there will share theirs, the little grunts!
  claws, you'd be amazed at how many people think i'm crazy because i don't use binders in my meatballs. i actually boil them in water with a ton of spices for flavor before they go in my sauce( which takes 2 days to cook,btw) then simmer the whole thing for a good 8 hours so the meatballs absorb even more flavor. i defat most everything as much as possible, hubby has to watch his fat and sodium intake.
  dean! oooohhh dean!! thank you so much, i wondered how to properly drain the yoghurt for so many recipes. i used to work for a lebanese family, there were recipes that were NOT shared with the staff, ever. randa( one of the sisters) used to make this sauce with what she called ' yoghurt drip" ,any idea what it is? it tasted of mint and something slightly bitter?

I have NO idea what a cornish pastry is! I learned how to cook from trial and error!  BounceGiggle

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »

A quick and easy meal my Dad taught me-

Meat and Beans

You need-
Hamburger
1 large can baked beans
onion
green bell pepper
hot sauce
1 can mushrooms

Fry up burger with chopped onions and bell pepper-drain grease
add can of baked beans and mushrooms ( I like the whole buttons, myself)
add hot sauce to taste
simmer
cook up some garlic bread for a side and-wallah! Quick, easy and yum!yum!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  cooking/food thread. i can't find my old one, lol! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.