Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:31:19 AM
714508 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The All-Purpose Political Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39
Author Topic: The All-Purpose Political Thread  (Read 119311 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2018, 10:14:08 AM »

Didn't someone previously prove that Reagan had been funding aids research before Hudson caught it on another thread?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2018, 10:24:45 AM »

See "And the band played on".  The facts speak clearly despite conservative revisionism efforts.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »

Didn't someone previously prove that Reagan had been funding aids research before Hudson caught it on another thread?

Yeah, I did, Alex. Despite revisionism, Reagan, who had many gay friends, was aware of AIDS and funded it more per patient than cancer, which is of course a bigger killer.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2018, 10:34:56 AM »

Yeah, as much as I don't like Reagan personally, I thought I remembered someone posting up the figures that proved he had been funding research.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »

Reagan couldn't fund aids at all. Congress allocates funds,  congress sets the budget.  Aids research was funded by congress.  Ronnie ignored aids until president Nancy told him to talk about it.  People don't get that the president doesn't fund things,  congress does. The president can ask for funding but congress gives it.

As to funding aids more than cancer,  2 things.  1 cancer had been studied heavily for a long time,  aids was new.  Also the extent of how contagious aids might be was uncertain at the time,  studying it's transmission levels was a damn good idea.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2018, 11:36:25 AM »

So your previous assertion in another thread that Reagan reduced aids funding was wrong then?

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2018, 11:44:35 AM »

Reagan couldn't fund aids at all. Congress allocates funds,  congress sets the budget.  Aids research was funded by congress.  Ronnie ignored aids until president Nancy told him to talk about it.  People don't get that the president doesn't fund things,  congress does. The president can ask for funding but congress gives it.

As to funding aids more than cancer,  2 things.  1 cancer had been studied heavily for a long time,  aids was new.  Also the extent of how contagious aids might be was uncertain at the time,  studying it's transmission levels was a damn good idea.

The executive branch creates and submits budgets, Sven.

Honestly I think so many of your prejudices are just that, prejudices, unbased on fact and reality.

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 12:23:47 PM »

So your previous assertion in another thread that Reagan reduced aids funding was wrong then?
no I never said Reagan cut aids fnfing,  he ignored the issue for the first few years.

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »

Reagan couldn't fund aids at all. Congress allocates funds,  congress sets the budget.  Aids research was funded by congress.  Ronnie ignored aids until president Nancy told him to talk about it.  People don't get that the president doesn't fund things,  congress does. The president can ask for funding but congress gives it.

As to funding aids more than cancer,  2 things.  1 cancer had been studied heavily for a long time,  aids was new.  Also the extent of how contagious aids might be was uncertain at the time,  studying it's transmission levels was a damn good idea.

The executive branch creates and submits budgets, Sven.

Honestly I think so many of your prejudices are just that, prejudices, unbased on fact and reality.

You Gave Reagan an A and Obama an F-.  That alone shapes my opinion of your political views.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »

To distract from the Reagan argument, let's have another argument: Who was the most bad ass president in history? Personally I'm going for George Washington on the basis for helping defeat the British Empire and helping cement the US.

yeah no.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2018, 01:36:18 PM »

To distract from the Reagan argument, let's have another argument: Who was the most bad ass president in history? Personally I'm going for George Washington on the basis for helping defeat the British Empire and helping cement the US.

He was also a dick because he had a slave escape to free country, and Washington did try like hell to get her back under his heel and put her in her place.
In his own words-
from a letter to a man who was trying to get her to agree to come back-to which she said NO of course...

She wasn't even a person to Washington-just property. He wouldn't even call her by her name-she was just the Girl.

"I regret that the attempt you made to restore the Girl (Oney Judge as she called herself while with us, and who, without the least provocation absconded from her Mistress) should have been attended with so little Success. To enter into such a compromise with her, as she suggested to you, is totally inadmissible, for reasons that must strike at first view: for however well disposed I might be to a gradual abolition, or even to an entire emancipation of that description of People (if the latter was in itself practicable at this moment) it would neither be politic or just to reward unfaithfulness with a premature preference [of freedom]; and thereby discontent before hand the minds of all her fellow-servants who by their steady attachments are far more deserving than herself of favor"

Of course he was a man of his time. It was a different world. I do respect him in regards that he actually was out there with his troops and was at Valley Forge, which was hell.

Myself, I like Lincoln or FDR.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:51:53 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2018, 01:40:51 PM »

As far as all out balls, Teddy Roosevelt is not someone I would wanna get in a fight with. He was a Rough Rider, fer crying out loud! He hunted bears for fun!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2018, 02:44:42 PM »

As far as all out balls, Teddy Roosevelt is not someone I would wanna get in a fight with. He was a Rough Rider, fer crying out loud! He hunted bears for fun!

Mr. Merchant has it right. TR or Andrew Jackson are about neck in neck for badass presidents.

Wussiest? Maybe Buchanan.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2018, 03:10:36 PM »

Mr. Merchant has it right. TR or Andrew Jackson are about neck in neck for badass presidents.

Wussiest? Maybe Buchanan.
Jackson was most certainly a cold blooded mother f**ker. 
Buchanan? I don't know jack s**t about him.
I know that Calvin Coolidge was very low-key.
Hoover was a worthless jackass.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2018, 07:40:23 PM »

My favorite era was honestly Bush the elder. you forgot he was there and politics wasn't such a huge part of life.

His son should never have been president honestly. Every time he opened his mouth was torture. He was an idiot. Iraq is one thing but the bailouts were almost as big a scam. almost

most bad ass president hands down was Caligula
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The All-Purpose Political Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.