Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:34:57 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Films that made you read a book. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Films that made you read a book.  (Read 4064 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 29, 2018, 07:58:58 AM »

What books have you read because of movies?

I've read adaptations of some movies if the authors we're good,  like 2001 and it's  sequel.  I've read a lot of star trek novels adapted from the movies.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 09:54:23 AM »

2002's Crossroads made me head down to CVS in the multiplex parking lot and pick up the adapted novel on the way home. I was disappointed that the source material was so skimpy but the much deeper movie fleshed out some solid characterizations beyond the shallow book. Reading that pushed me to rush back and see the film again, and it made the well-written and flawlessly delivered dialogue more nuanced the second time around. I think we can all agree this was Britney's onscreen magnum opus and she'l likely never again come so close to Bernhardt.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 10:16:21 AM »

'Starship Troopers' had me pick up a copy of that book that I enjoy. 'Interview with the Vampire' did the same, but without the enjoyment (if i want to read a book on philosophy I'll pick one up thank you, never mind writing a whole series of books that continually spends many pages discussing the same philosophical concept). Jaws similarly failed to live up to my expectations when I read that one (the ending in the film is much better). The Thing, got me to track down a copy of 'Who goes there?' which surprised me with how much from the short story actually made it into the John Carpenter version.

I'd have to be at home looking at my book collection to see if their are any others.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 10:32:22 AM »

* The Godfather (and Part II) - One of the few instances where I think the movies are better than the book.

* All James Bond movies led me to read all James Bond books

* The Hunchback of Notre Dame - The Charles Laughton version led me to read the novel (which I've read at least 4 times)

* Journey to the Center of the Earth - I first read it when I was a kid and was disappointed that some of the people's names in the book were different than in the movie

* Deliverance - I saw the edited version of the movie on television back in the 1970s and loved it. Then I read the book (and did a book report on it) when I was in my teens. Then I saw the unedited version of the movie on DVD. I think the movie is better than the book in some ways (for instance, the sounds of the forest and river add a lot to the atmosphere). But the book goes deep into Ed's mind.

There are probably many others that I can't think of right now

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 05:52:44 PM »

'Starship Troopers' had me pick up a copy of that book that I enjoy

I've read most of Robert Heinlein's books. You would think that more of his work would have been made into movies.
But no.  Bluesad
I'll be the first to admit it's very complicated and ...I wanna say political, except his politics are out there.
Really f**king strange. I like Heinlein.
i don't agree with him alot, but I like him.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »

Dang!
Dracula by Bram Stoker, Frankenstein by Mary Shelly. Like Burgo-the Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo, dang! so many!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 06:41:32 PM »

THE ISLAND by Peter Benchley.  I haven't seen much of the movie but it's critically panned for a reason.  The book was much better.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 05:16:19 AM »

The Andromeda strain.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 08:41:54 PM »

I read Hunckback of Notre Dame when I heard Disney was doing an animated version.  I wanted to get the source material before ever seeing the film.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
justme2013
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 05:17:45 PM »

Jurassic Park
Anne of Green Gables
Star Trek VI
Star Trek V
Black Beauty
Oliver
The Three Musketeers (1973 version)
Swiss Family Robinson

I'm sure that there are others but those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head
316zombie
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 03:58:57 PM »

the first one was seeing last man on earth with vincent price when i was 8. i found the richard matheson book i am legend at the library and promptly began devouring all things matheson.
  and the original twilight zone led me to  a wealth of authors, due to the matheson connection.
  charles beaumont comes to mind, and harlan ellison too.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Films that made you read a book. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.