Main Menu

No more Emmy Screeners past 2020

Started by Pacman000, January 19, 2019, 11:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacman000

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/18/emmy-awards-will-kill-off-dvd-screeners-for-good-in-2020/

The Emmies will stop giving out screener copies after 2020; they're moving to a custom streaming platform.

I don't think physical media will ever go away completely. Before home video there were companies who made 8, 16, 9.5, & 28mm copies of movies for home viewing. There will always be a small part of the population who wants to own what they watch.

I can see a future where only a handful of major films are released each year, on Blu-Ray or some Ultra-HD Disk.

Rev. Powell

Two years ago I received mostly DVD screeners with only a few DVDs. Now it's the opposite.

I don't think screeners have too much to do with the DVD market overall, though. It's just much more cost-efficient for studios to give critics links than physical DVDs, and there is less of a piracy concern.

Those factors effect consumers, too, but critics are getting it for free, so the studios are able to enforce formats on them. If consumers want physical media someone will sell it to them. But it is becoming more of a specialty market. I think every major release will continue to be available on DVD or Blu-ray for the considerable future, even though sales go down. (Heck, they're still selling albums on vinyl).

The only movies I see now that are released streaming-only are the very cheapest of independent productions. Even they probably should be putting out DVD-Rs or Blu-ray-Rs, which can be made cheaply on-demand. It's just not worth the time for a handful of sales. They would prefer you download the movie and burn it onto your own DVD. I want the artwork, though.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...