Main Menu

Memes n' stuff of the day

Started by Rev. Powell, April 17, 2019, 08:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pacman000

Oversimplified answer: Birth of a Nation made it popular again. It was the 20's, & even a lot of people, even intellectuals & scientists, believed white, northern Europeans were the best, most evolved form of humanity.  For some reason, that grouping seems to have left out the Irish, I don't know why. The Klan always tried to put on a good show, claiming that they're not a violent group, that they're just trying to defend white culture, whatever.  :thumbdown:

Folk song response to that last point, from the 60's:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Since this is a meme thread, I'm going to try to move past that nastiness. Here's the latest comic from xkcd:

https://xkcd.com/2451/

Leah

yeah no.

ER

Quote from: Rev. Powell on April 19, 2021, 08:12:23 AM
Quote from: ER on April 19, 2021, 07:42:37 AM
Can I ask a question without it spiraling out of control?

Why would Coca-Cola have given the KKK free drinks, let alone boasted about it?

I don't think the hateful agenda of the Klan represented the values of enough Americans for it to be worth a company's time, let alone be something a company would want to associate itself with and risk alienating Jews, Catholics, blacks, and even WASPs who didn't subscribe to hate.

Anyone have insights there?

And real answers, please, not politics and ....

Fact: it's not "Coca-Cola" endorsing the Klan, it's "the Northern Coca-Cola Company of Michigan." Speculation: A local individual franchisee distributor probably was a racist and took it upon himself to act without endorsement from the parent company. 

But this is terribly off-topic.

Crazy times.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

Rev. Powell

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Ticonderoga 64

Rev. Powell

Leah

yeah no.

claws

Quote from: Rev. Powell on April 20, 2021, 11:21:04 AM

This is probably because I'm in Europe but I don't get this meme at all. I understand what an emotional support dog is and I know what a drone is, but I don't understand the connection and meaning of this. Is the name Ralph of any importance? :question:

Sorry for "not getting it" but sometimes memes just go over my head and should come with an explanation  :bouncegiggle:

RCMerchant

" Drone" in this context does not mean a flying robot.

verb
make a continuous low humming sound.
"in the far distance a machine droned"
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Rev. Powell

Quote from: claws on April 21, 2021, 05:25:31 AM
Quote from: Rev. Powell on April 20, 2021, 11:21:04 AM

This is probably because I'm in Europe but I don't get this meme at all. I understand what an emotional support dog is and I know what a drone is, but I don't understand the connection and meaning of this. Is the name Ralph of any importance? :question:

Sorry for "not getting it" but sometimes memes just go over my head and should come with an explanation  :bouncegiggle:

No, Ralph is not important. What's important is the look on the dog's face, which accidentally resembles the face of someone who's bored and barely paying attention while the owner is droning on (defined as "speaking tediously in a dull monotonous tone").

claws

Ahh ok, I misunderstood the drone part I guess. How silly of me, but then again I'm not familiar with that expression. Thanks for the explanation.

Rev. Powell

LilCerberus

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

LilCerberus

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.