Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:37:28 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  George Strait? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: George Strait?  (Read 10993 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: June 03, 2019, 07:55:39 PM »

that name ring a bell? maybe it does, maybe you all know him. maybe I just entered a parallel universe.

but I was just reading the RIAA list of the biggest selling musical artists of all time, and this mystery guy 'George Strait' pops up at #11. he's sold more records than The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, U2, Simon & Garfunkel....

the thing is, it's not just that I've never heard any of his songs, I've literally never heard OF him... please someone else tell me they never have either, or else I think I might be going mad, or dreaming. thanks

here's that list if anyone wants to read
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/10/17/riaa-best-selling-artists-of-all-time/

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 08:48:06 PM »

He is one of the most popular country singers in the last 40 years.  I don't listen to country, but many of my friends do, and the man is a legend to them.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 11:54:00 PM »

I have heard the name,  don't know him at all.

Not too big into country but I kinda like Joe Bethancourt. R.I.P.

https://youtu.be/xjvNQJ8Rd9g

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 01:04:56 AM »

Never heard of him either. Kristi might have as she is quite into country music though.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 04:48:21 AM »

Never heard of him either. Kristi might have as she is quite into country music though.
well I'm not massively into country, but I do like some of it, and I'm aware of guys like Gram Parsons, Hank Williams, Jim Reeves...but apparently none of those guys come near the megastar that is George Strait!

also I'm pretty geeky about music. I used to buy NME and Melody Maker every week. also mags like Select, Uncut, Mojo, Q, Metal Hammer, Kerrang, Raw etc. every now and then. I know quite a lot about artists whose music I have no interest in...yet still never heard of him.  Question

justme2013
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 05:36:33 AM »

You know me well And yes I've heard of him and used to listen to his music. At one point he was known to fans as King George. His wife is an actress Lisa Hartman.
I believe he is retired now but at one point he also did some acting. He was the star of the movie Pure Country
chainsaw midget

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 06:56:11 AM »

I don't listen to country, but I know who the guy is and have listened to a few of his songs.  It's not bad if that's the kind of thing you're into.. 
316zombie
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 01:08:17 PM »

he's headed back on tour soon, he'll be here  next year. tickets are mad crazy expensive!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:21:03 PM by chefzombie » Logged
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »

well I'm not massively into country, but I do like some of it, and I'm aware of guys like Gram Parsons, Hank Williams, Jim Reeves...but apparently none of those guys come near the megastar that is George Strait!

also I'm pretty geeky about music. I used to buy NME and Melody Maker every week. also mags like Select, Uncut, Mojo, Q, Metal Hammer, Kerrang, Raw etc. every now and then. I know quite a lot about artists whose music I have no interest in...yet still never heard of him.  Question
Selling more records does not make one more important than HANK WILLIAMS.  Reference to GRAM PARSONS is more towards Pop than Country music; many adherents to Country music do not embrace GRAM PARSONS (and he can't touch any sales record).  GEORGE STRAIT is probably the best selling living Country artist.  He's only 67. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 03:03:42 PM »

I'm not suggesting he's more "important", I'm just amazed I've never even heard his name... he's sold more than the Rolling Stones?!

anyway. on the subject, my favourite ever country tune: (and not even by a country artist...)
Small | Large

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 03:06:23 PM by zombie no.one » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 09:18:42 PM »

I'm not suggesting he's more "important", I'm just amazed I've never even heard his name... he's sold more than the Rolling Stones?!

anyway. on the subject, my favourite ever country tune: (and not even by a country artist...)
http://youtu.be/9xf-_CXMqMk

Oh, don't mind me.  You're cool.  I am blessed with lots of opinions.   Thumbup TeddyR  

I'm listening to your record now.  Z'alright.  Not a fan.  

Small | Large

And to be clear, I love GRAM PARSONS

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:38:23 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
justme2013
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 01:35:22 AM »

Selling more records does not make one more important than HANK WILLIAMS.  Reference to GRAM PARSONS is more towards Pop than Country music; many adherents to Country music do not embrace GRAM PARSONS (and he can't touch any sales record).  GEORGE STRAIT is probably the best selling living Country artist.  He's only 67. 

Actually the best selling country artist is Garth Brooks, he's the top selling solo artist in the US, even ahead of Elvis. Overall he's second to the Beatles in record sales.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 03:32:33 AM »

^ that's another mindblower... bigger than Elvis  Buggedout

but at least I've actually heard of Garth Brooks

chainsaw midget

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 08:32:45 AM »

^ that's another mindblower... bigger than Elvis  Buggedout

but at least I've actually heard of Garth Brooks
Top selling. 

Nobody will ever be bigger than Elvis. 
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 02:53:33 PM »

I live in Michigan...I know of George Strait.
Lots mamby pamby s**t gets more attention and sells better than other stuff because it's accepted by a larger audiance. You may hear more George Strait in a grocery store and on certain stations with elevator music- but IMHO, does not make him 'better' than Elvis or the Stones.
Kinda like why a movie with slam bang action sells more seats than an  thoughtful movie.
Or why McDonald's sells more burgers than a small wonderful diner.
Or mebbe it's just because people are stupid! I dunno!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:58:56 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  George Strait? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.