Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:53:36 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Gamebooks. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gamebooks.  (Read 7112 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: June 25, 2019, 01:52:36 PM »

I used to read gamebooks as a kid. I'd say The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (which developed into the Fighting Fantasy series) was my introductory 'drug' to the world of roleplaying and wargaming. I played a few other series like the 'Lone Wolf' books (which were my favourite titles), 'Way of the Tiger', 'Sagard the Barbarian' 'Tunnels & Trolls' and some of the American 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books (although I wasn't quite as much a fan of them as they didn't have any fighting in them really and I preferred the more complicated rules).

Anyway, although I have a few of these still kicking around many had went missing over the years. I decided that I'd like to have plenty of them kicking around for Ash as he grows up so I've been ordering a few ones off eBay when I see them going cheap. Also going to order a few that I wanted to play as a kid, but never managed to get (the Sorcery! series for example).

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else here had played them when they were young, or indeed still do.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 01:53:15 PM »

Hmm... Indy you should write one of those books.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 05:07:12 PM »

Oh, yes. They use to be some of my favorite books to read. Though, I seldom made it to the end without being killed. Besides the typical Choose Your Own Adventures, I remember such series as . . .

Chronicles of Narnia,
Lord of the Rings,
Sherlock Holmes,
etc.

Fun times.
pacman000
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 02:45:43 PM »

Read a Choose Your Own Adventure book in 2nd or 3rd grade, but I ignored the rules, & read it straight through. It was fun! But it didn't make much sense.

The book started with your character walking into a closet. For some reason, you wind up out doors in a park, where you meet a little alien with big eyes & messy hair. One ending had the alien turn into an egg, which hatched into another alien of the same species. Another ending had you find a UFO which took the alien home.  
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 01:50:05 PM by pacman000 » Logged
Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 07:55:48 AM »

Remember House of Hell (released in the States as House of Hades)? Essentially an episode of Hammer House of Horror adapted into gamebook form. Don't start with any weapons. Trying any of the crap that works in fantasy titles (like charging in to rescue the nude virgin on the sacrificial alter) will just get you killed.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 08:34:44 AM »

I used to read gamebooks my RPG-playing friend had, and I liked that better than ever actually playing them, since there was a lot of originality in some of those gaming systems.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 09:30:06 AM »

I thought this was about those betting apps.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
pennywise37

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 02:54:48 AM »

i have a couple choose your own adventure books i think i got a couple of Mario ones that Nintendo put out i want to say back in the 90's? well i bought those years ago at maybe Dollar tree? i think? i wonder if they are even worth anything?
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 12:24:21 PM »

There is a second hand market for them, although I have no idea what the prices are. It would be worth checking on ebay I'd think.

Neville

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 01:46:56 PM »

I was really addicted to the "Choose your adventure" series (and variants) on my early teens. A pity the editions in my country were so cheap the books started losing pages as you started "playing". I graduated to the AD&D series and the "Time Machine" series later, and sometimes I wonder if I would have become a real AD&D player if I had persisted in my hobby.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 03:19:45 PM »

I was really addicted to the "Choose your adventure" series (and variants) on my early teens. A pity the editions in my country were so cheap the books started losing pages as you started "playing". I graduated to the AD&D series and the "Time Machine" series later, and sometimes I wonder if I would have become a real AD&D player if I had persisted in my hobby.

Its never too late to start.

Neville

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 04:05:55 AM »

Perhaps it is for me. All those Japanese console RPGs have spoiled me and now I can't see the appeal in exploring dungeons.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 07:59:20 PM »

Perhaps it is for me. All those Japanese console RPGs have spoiled me and now I can't see the appeal in exploring dungeons.

Dungeon crawling in tabletop RPGs is largely from the Eighties, when gamers were still sussing out the possibilities. Dungeons were an early adventure setting because it restricted the directions in which players could send off their characters, keeping things simple for the game master. This is also why they're a common feature in console RPGs.

To get an idea of what modern tabletop RPG session can be like, I recommend checking out the photo web comic Darths & Droids. As the title suggests, it reimagines the Star Wars movies as gaming sessions. So far, they've covered the prequels, the original trilogy, Rogue One, and the appearance on The Muppet Show. Don't let any animosity towards the prequels discourage you. While following the broad plot, it goes off in unexpected directions. It's also famed for originating the phrase, "Jar-Jar, you're a genius!" (it makes sense in context). The guy who makes it also has a real knack for picking out still where characters have stupid expressions on their faces. Anyway, here's the start.

https://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 02:23:59 AM »

Dungeon crawling in tabletop RPGs is largely from the Eighties, when gamers were still sussing out the possibilities. Dungeons were an early adventure setting because it restricted the directions in which players could send off their characters, keeping things simple for the game master. This is also why they're a common feature in console RPGs.

To get an idea of what modern tabletop RPG session can be like, I recommend checking out the photo web comic Darths & Droids. As the title suggests, it reimagines the Star Wars movies as gaming sessions. So far, they've covered the prequels, the original trilogy, Rogue One, and the appearance on The Muppet Show. Don't let any animosity towards the prequels discourage you. While following the broad plot, it goes off in unexpected directions. It's also famed for originating the phrase, "Jar-Jar, you're a genius!" (it makes sense in context). The guy who makes it also has a real knack for picking out still where characters have stupid expressions on their faces. Anyway, here's the start.

https://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html

Thanks for that link. I'll check that one out.

jinx
New Visitor

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2021, 05:30:18 AM »

Me and my 5 year are currently doing Fighting Fantasy #5 - City of Thieves

We don't do the combat but he makes the decision as we run around the house pretending. He loves it.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Gamebooks. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.