Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:36:30 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 244
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 600724 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #330 on: June 29, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »

VIVARIUM (2019): Gemma and Tom accept an invitation from an overly-friendly real estate agent to view a suburban tract home; they find themselves trapped in a labyrinth where every house looks exactly the same, and then things get strange. The horror of adulthood expressed as a "Twilight Zone" episode. User ratings on this are surprisingly low (5.8 at IMDB); not sure why, except maybe viewers thought it was slow to get started and were hoping for something more straightforward with explanations spelled out at the end. Some also might think the attack on suburban life was a little too obvious. I liked it; the "creepy little mutant" was genuinely disturbing. 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #331 on: June 29, 2020, 10:08:21 AM »

"Tank Girl" (1995)
Lori Petty ("A League of Their Own") stars as the butt kickin', punk-rock chick action heroine from a British comic book series. Set in a post-apocalyptic future, she leads a band of fellow mutants and misfits in a rebellion against the evil mega-corporation that controls the world's water supply.
This is one of those quirky-on-purpose, so '90s it hurts flicks that hasn't aged very well, but Petty is a hoot to watch and it's always good to see Malcolm "Clockwork Orange" McDowell in a villain role. This flick tanked (pun not intended, I swear) at the box office in '95, but it's become a bit of a cult item in the years since. Worth a look if you're in the mood for something slightly off center.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #332 on: June 29, 2020, 12:54:51 PM »

Athlete A (2020) - netflix doc about the Women's olympic scandal involving trainer Larry Nasser. it doesn't answer every question you ever had ( like why didn't they get another trainer at some point??) but it does a good job showing the oppressive atmosphere at the training camps and so forth.

Romanian coach Bela Korolyi is a jerk and a slavedriver but he gets US gymnstics what they want: medals. He first gains fame for making Nadia Comaneci totally miserable and winning a gold medal in the 70's. This was supposed to be some kind of demented rebuke of capitalism or something or it was to some people there.

The US then imports him and he starts working his black magic on increasingly younger girls who are of course more pliable and also heal faster. Larry Nasser ingratiates himself with the gymnastics people (he works for free) and with the gymnasts by playing good cop to the korolyis.

One girl who reports on him gets left off the olympic team even though she scores higher than another girl who made it. I have no idea why they did all this. The Olympics are a sideshow, the athletes are amateurs it should not be like jail or something. Winning isn't everything, but there was a lot of money and ambition involved too I guess.

4.5 /5
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 05:02:36 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #333 on: June 30, 2020, 01:15:01 AM »

The Phantom Planet (1961)

Youtube seems to think I like movies about wandering planets and keeps suggesting them to me. In this one, all is not well on the moon base. Ships are disappearing and Captain Chapman is sent to investigate. Turns out the trouble is a wandering asteroid inhabited by miniature people. Conveniently, the atmosphere of the asteroid miniaturises Chapman as well, who regains his size as soon as he breathes normal air. The inhabitants of the asteroid have gained control over gravity using a technology that seems to be entirely based on theremins. They are threatened by the Solarites, who are among the silliest aliens of the era (played by a young Richard Kiel, no less). There is some tension, but when Chapman chooses the Elizabeth Taylor lookalike and leaves the blonde princess to the heir apparent of the asteroid, all ends well.

This could have been quite an entertaining adventure movie. There are some good ideas in there, and the script looks good on paper, but it is let down completely by the execution.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #334 on: June 30, 2020, 07:34:02 AM »

The Phantom Planet (1961)

Youtube seems to think I like movies about wandering planets and keeps suggesting them to me. In this one, all is not well on the moon base. Ships are disappearing and Captain Chapman is sent to investigate. Turns out the trouble is a wandering asteroid inhabited by miniature people. Conveniently, the atmosphere of the asteroid miniaturises Chapman as well, who regains his size as soon as he breathes normal air. The inhabitants of the asteroid have gained control over gravity using a technology that seems to be entirely based on theremins. They are threatened by the Solarites, who are among the silliest aliens of the era (played by a young Richard Kiel, no less). There is some tension, but when Chapman chooses the Elizabeth Taylor lookalike and leaves the blonde princess to the heir apparent of the asteroid, all ends well.

This could have been quite an entertaining adventure movie. There are some good ideas in there, and the script looks good on paper, but it is let down completely by the execution.

You just have to fix your attention on the good and the beautiful--if you'll just take the time to look at it.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #335 on: June 30, 2020, 09:07:13 AM »

THE LAST MOVIE STAR (2017)

Burt Reynold's last movie, filmed shortly before his death, places him alongside teenage hottie Ariel Winter from  the MODERN FAMILY TV series.
Reynolds plays Vic Edwards, an aging Hollywood legend who has fallen on hard times, who travels to Tennessee to receive a lifetime achievement award at a local film festival - which turns out to be more of an amateur fan club.  The organizer's teenage sister, played by Winter, has been talked into being Edwards' "personal assistant" for the weekend.  Edwards is furious he's been duped into attending such a cheap, tawdry little affair, but over the course of his film we see him remembering his life and career, revisiting his childhood home, and coming to terms with his own mortality, as the hapless Winter is forced to chauffeur him down memory lane.  Touching at some moments and funny in others, I found this to be a marvelous little film.  Winter is quite attractive in a tattooed teenybopper sort of way, and seeing Burt Reynolds - one of the icons of my youth - as a frail old man was just hard to watch sometimes.  I highly recommend this film!  4/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
pennywise37

« Reply #336 on: July 01, 2020, 05:00:07 AM »

i've been wanting to see that one, ya know with Burt you look at him at some point of his life and it's hard to believe he was a star football player and nearly went bro in college. but he messed his ALC i think it's called? after that he turned to acting

you can correct me if i'm wrong i don't mind
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #337 on: July 01, 2020, 08:28:52 AM »

One interesting thing in the film was the scenes where they had the elderly Vic Edwards talking to his younger self - i.e., Burt Reynolds in some of his classic roles.  He was quite the physical specimen in his youth!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:34:24 PM by indianasmith » Logged

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #338 on: July 01, 2020, 08:42:32 AM »

DREAMLAND (2019): A good-hearted hitman (a very cool Stephen McHattie) is asked to cut the pinky off a heroin-addicted jazzman (also a very cool Stephen McHattie), but chooses to save a girl from a supernatural fate instead. It tries too hard, to be sure, but as a goofy collision of cliches, it kept my interest. QAnon thinks this is a documentary. 3/5.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #339 on: July 01, 2020, 09:53:29 AM »

"Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs" (1966)
Cartoonish Sixties spy spoof starring Vincent Price as the evil Dr Goldfoot, a mad scientist who  assassinates world leaders via bikini-clad female robots packed with explosives. A pair of bumbling European secret agents team up with their American counterpart (60s pop singer Fabian) to stop him before he can drop a "Girl Bomb" on Moscow and start World War III.

This Italian/American co-production (a sequel to the previous year's "Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine") wants to be a swinging, "with-it," pop-art jam ala the "Batman" TV series. There's lots of pretty girls in day-glo colors, wacky set pieces, and a hip, jazzy soundtrack...but the movie itself is a train wreck.

The utterly-unfunny Italian comedy duo of Franco and Ciccio (imagine Abbott & Costello, if they were irritating) gets WAY too much screen time, and Fabian couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag. I'd be willing to bet that this movie was an influence on the "Austin Powers" series, but the difference is, "Austin" was actually funny.

Vincent Price would later call this flick "the most dreadful movie I've ever been in." I'm inclined to agree with him.  AVOID.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #340 on: July 01, 2020, 12:16:13 PM »

International Crime (1938) - fun, hour or so mystery featuring The Shadow, a radio broadcaster who helps solve crimes. a variation on the "who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men" guy. The tone is light and comedic which can be awful, but they pull it off.

The mystery itself isn't super well put together. An attempted robbery results in a murder, but The Shadow thinks the robbery is just a cover for the murder and an attempt to pin it on a local infamous safe cracker. They don't really explain the significance of the crime very well, but the script is punchy enough that it doesn't matter. The ditzy sidekick lady is funny. A pizza flix choice on the youtube

4/5
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:32:13 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #341 on: July 02, 2020, 07:11:18 AM »

AFTER HOURS (1985)

I had to get up early this morning, and I missed the first 10 minutes or so of this trippy 1985 dark comedy, but once I started it I couldn't turn it off.
A guy named Paul meets a girl named Marcy at a café and goes to Soho that evening to take her out on a date.  One thing leads to another, and before the night is over, Marcy is dead from an overdose, a spurned waitress is circulating his sketch throughout the neighborhood, Paul winds up going home with a gay guy, then he is mistaken for the neighborhood cat burglar,  gets pursued by an angry mob, and winds up being encased in papier-mache and being stolen by burglars who mistake him for a sculpture.

Like I said, trippy.  4/5

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #342 on: July 02, 2020, 08:39:44 AM »

AFTER HOURS is great.  Thumbup

A SHIP OF HUMAN SKIN (2019) isn't. A rural woman kills her drug dealing pimp, then becomes a religious icon when she performs a (minor) miracle in prison. The title is the best thing about this low-budget experimental Southern Gothic with a vague and muddled philosophical/spiritual message. 1/5.

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #343 on: July 02, 2020, 08:12:20 PM »

THE CLONUS HORROR (1979) - MST3K VERSION

Politicians scheme to clone themselves, assuring immortal life.

I was actually surprised by this movie. The premise is great, but sadly it's filled to the brim with bad acting, awful audio, boring scenery, and I think I saw a boom mic like ten times on screen. The weirdest part was that the plot was almost exactly like THE ISLAND, although a lot more grim, which worked out great in this case because it ended like good sci-fi should. Strangely, THE ISLAND claims to be a remake of LOGAN'S RUN. After investigating a little I found out the following:

Robert S. Fiveson, director of The Clonus Horror (1979), brought a copyright infringement suit against DreamWorks and Warner Brothers. The lawsuit cited almost one hundred points of similarity between "Clonus" and this film, and the court ruled that Fiveson made a prima facie case for infringement. Before the case could go to trial, DreamWorks settled with the plaintiffs for an undisclosed seven-figure amount.

In an interview filmed for the DVD release of the Mystery Science Theater version of the film director Robert S. Fiveson mentioned that the settlement for the lawsuit with the makers of The Island (2005) involved the official sale of remake rights, and even mentioning that fact was technically against the confidentiality agreement made as part of the settlement. Fiveson also mentions that fans of the MST3K episode provided a lot of support and encouragement as the copyright infringement case progressed.

So yeah, they ripped off THE CLONUS HORROR. No wonder Michael Bay actually managed to make a decent movie... he stole it!  Twirling

Regarding the MST3K episode itself, the riffing was good, although the segments sucked, I miss the times when the jokes were related to the movie itself. Kevin Murphy as Bobo rocks, Observer is also very funny, even the new voice of Crow is good, capturing the snarky essence of the character to almost perfection. But this Mary Jo Pehl lady, my God... I still consider her the most unfunny person ever. Her very presence on my screen is annoying.

Flawed but still a good movie, check it out. 7/10  Thumbup

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #344 on: July 02, 2020, 09:20:51 PM »

I saw the non MST3K version and enjoyed it and agree on mary Jo piel. she had some okay things but I feel like she forced her way onto the show and is annoying
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 05:03:37 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 244
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.