Main Menu

Recent Viewings, Part 2

Started by Rev. Powell, February 15, 2020, 10:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. Powell

MY VEGAS EYES (2026): College-aged "Emo Superstar" is left behind in a depraved post-apocalyptic Vegas after the rapture. Experimental film-school type movie with lots of solarization, crazy color grading, and bizarre costuming to disguise its microbudget; its a quite sincere, impressionist movie evoking the disillusionment and angst of your early 20s. 1.5/5.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Rev. Powell

CHAO (2025): In a world where humans and merefolk co-exist uneasily, the daughter of Neptune falls in love woth an awkward human engineer who is not at all interested in marrying a fish. The art and character-design style is bizarre and inventive, though the jagged lines are not attractive to my eyes; plot and pacing are erratic. Will appeal to very young kids and anime fans, but not a crossover audience. 3/5.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

lester1/2jr

Looks like the board is fixed for me. Now, I have just have to watch something.

Rev. Powell

1000 WOMEN IN HORROR (2025): A panel of female directors and critics examine the depiction of women in horror films, emphasizing how the genre empowers women. This wide-ranging discussion of female archetypes in horror--the innocent, the ingenue, the final girl, the hag--includes plenty of iconic, gruesome clips and is great fun for horror fans. 3.5/5.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

M.10rda

Were you having issues? It's been very slow to load for me...

M.10rda

CLEANING UP (1925):
Another "William Goodrich" short starring Johnny Arthur, not nearly the most exciting silent comedy star.  :lookingup: It's only 17 minutes but it does drag w/ Arthur mostly onscreen alone. His wife wakes up in their disorderly bedroom, promptly gets dressed to visit her mother, and tells Johnny to clean the (large) house while she's away. Hey, we all been there, right fellas? Johnny does a poor job of it. Feathers somehow end up all over the place, Johnny's giant dog chases a cat around the house, the fire department shows up and sprays a hose all over the joint, and then Mrs. Arthur returns, aghast, just in time for the flooded second floor to collapse into the living room - the film's finale and its one raison d'etre, really.

3/5    It isn't funny but there are some incredible (and patently unsafe-looking) images of mayhem. Studios kept giving Roscoe tons of money to build sets and then absolutely destroy them and that is a perverse pleasure to observe.......

indianasmith

Blumhouse's TRUTH OR DARE:
   A group of friends on spring break in Mexico get invited to an abandoned church where they play a game of truth or dare with their host - who then informs them the game will never end.  If they refuse to tell the truth or take the dare, they die.  The only way to escape is to invite others into the game - which, it turns out, is possessed by an evil spirit summoned by a group of novices years ago to deal with an evil, predatory priest.  Crazy concept, fun movie with some great kills. 4/5
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

FatFreddysCat

"Neil Peart: No One's Disciple" (2026)
Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson look back on the life and career of their fallen bandmate, drummer Neil Peart, who passed in 2020. In between anecdotes and vintage video clips, they jam on some Rush tunes with the help of some of Neil's drummer friends, incl. Danny Carey (Tool), Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers) and Stewart Copeland (The Police). A heartfelt tribute to an immense talent gone too soon.
"If you're a false, don't entry, because you'll be burned and died!"

FatFreddysCat

"Billy Idol Should Be Dead" (2025)
A fascinating look at the 80s rock icons life and career, as well as his numerous near-misses with the Grim Reaper. A fascinating watch.
"If you're a false, don't entry, because you'll be burned and died!"

lester1/2jr

I have recently been thinking about Billy Idol's "Hot In the City".

Rev. Powell

I LIVE HERE NOW: Distressed by an unexpected pregnancy coinciding with a huge audition, an actress hides out at a suspiciously all-female hotel full of strange characters in the midst of a raging wildfire. The Lynchian/Jungian symbolism gets ladled on too thick at times, but this stylish psychodrama/horror is a promising debut from Julie Pacino. Currently free on Prime. 3.5/5.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Dalmatian Bobby Samaritan

Quote from: M.10rda on April 13, 2025, 10:26:04 AMBOMBSHELL (2019):
After almost a year of focusing on movies from the previous century, I'm going to try to clean out my backlog of stuff from this century that somehow I've accumulated. Like Brad Pitt to a large degree, Charlize Theron is an expert at transforming roles that could easily be merely "Hot Person" into rather complex character performances. (I maintain she deserved an Oscar for DEVIL'S ADVOCATE, though she later got one for a lesser performance where she looked less attractive.) Here she gives former Faux News anchor Megyn Kelly a quirky nasal accent which may be totally convincing but the hell I'm gonna' pay that close attention to Megyn Kelly. Nicole Kidman plays fellow bulls**t spewer Gretchen Carlson and (commendably though tellingly) looks older and more natural (yes, even as a TV news anchor) than she looked 6 years later in the suspiciously post-processed PERFECT COUPLE. Margot Robbie, who is clearly modeling her own career on Theron's, does a lot of solid acting as a composite of a bunch of innocent young women who got exploited and molested by Faux News' C.O.O. Roger Ailes.


Megyn Kelly and Gretchen Carlson. You realize that people who watch "The news" don't watch these blondes for their brain power and the information they are giving us? Yeah I think Megyn Kelly has stepped up her act slightly thought recently. But the sacrifice in that is that she is looking more and more like a crack addict, so yeah it is basically just claptrap. I think that I will avoid this Bombshell movie. Especially after all of the names that you have listed.

I guess these people in the media industry hate the fact that us regular folks or commoners have the ability to pull out or stop the "nexus" anytime that we want. But they have to keep going. I mean we do, right? Eh, M.10? Look don't vomit on me I hate doing laundry! Rupert Murdock the Hero? Ah..Only hollywood can get away with this. So much for hardcore news issues.
What part does Jennifer Eckhart play? The Anchor who got murdered by Ed Henry, the guy she fired for sexual harassment. Oh wait, it was actually a "suicide." Sure. I am glad to see that Fox news is getting such a big push by the horrible evil Elites in hollywood who hate them. I guess next it will be a movie called Pimpy Skinhead starring Hoda.