Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:40:21 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  LOOOOONG Bad Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LOOOOONG Bad Movies  (Read 3068 times)
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 05, 2021, 09:11:27 AM »

The thing I enjoy about a lot of campy movies that aren’t traditionally good is that even though the acting may be terrible, the budget non-existent, and the story complete non-sense, at least they’re short.

But not all of them. No, definitely not all of them!

One that may give people a tough time is A Taste of Blood. I somehow made it through two back to back watches of this, one with the regular audio and one with commentary.  I’m a Herschell Gordon Lewis fan, but even for me it’s a bit of a challenge. Most of his movies are 90 minutes or less, sometimes way less. This one goes the full two hours!

Really the story probably could’ve been told in about the run time of a Twilight Zone episode. There is padding and then there’s this!
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 09:36:19 AM »

Well, who can forget the forgettable Timbo Hines opus that was overhyped, underproduced War Of The Worlds...

Or Kerry Conran's overproduced, underdeveloped attempt a quality green screen cgi that was Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 10:15:17 AM »

Are we talking about long movies that are widely considered to be bad, short movies that feel much longer then they are, or longer movies that considered to be good by most?

There's a big difference them.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 10:55:25 AM »

Are we talking about long movies that are widely considered to be bad, short movies that feel much longer then they are, or longer movies that considered to be good by most?

There's a big difference them.

Mostly just long movies that are generally considered to be bad. 2 hours can be considered long enough for the sake of this thread.

Partly inspired by noticing also how many adventure films from the 1980s that are 2+ hours. Even the possible good ones I’m gun shy about taking a chance on. I really like to finish any movie I start. So if the movie really sucks with a lot of them I can say, “Yeah, this is painful but at least I just have about an hour left.” That hour can seem to go on forever. But when it’s twice that or more? That’s just another level of pain.
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 10:55:42 AM »

I own this over 5 hour overlong heap of hot garbage Gods and Generals (2003), a prequel to TNT masterpiece Gettysburg (1993) starring Stephen Lang as Stonewall Jackson, a part initially played by Tom Berenger, which is the first major flaw of this digital mess before they even started filming. Since this is a prequel, we are meant to believe that Stonewall Jackson devolves from a Shakespearean stage actor like Stephen Lang who recites his dialogue in near-biblical form as if Jesus hath cometh forthwith, to the droll Southern cowboy performance that Tom Berenger gave us just 3 chronological Civil War years later at Gettysburg. Now don’t get me wrong, I love me some Stephen Lang; that boy can act like no other, but he is horribly miscast here. Couple that with the laughably bad CGI in some battle sequences that apparently didn’t anticipate high definition televisions ever becoming a thing just a couple of years later; there were already video games released in the home market that year that looked more realistic; and some of the worst long-winded movie dialogue that you will ever hear this side of Hamlet (did all Southerners actually talk like this?) that after a while you will actually forget what they were supposed to be talking about. Literally!

Peruse if you must, but if you value your precious time on this Earth, this is over 5 hours better spent on something more worthwhile, like a Roger Corman triple feature or something.  Thumbdown

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 11:35:25 AM »

The CGI isn't believable, the dialogue is terrible, this is long and painful experience. A boring one too.

Wooden performances by all involved.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 12:14:59 PM »

there's a 2hr 37min director's cut of BOARDINGHOUSE (1982) which I'm tempted by...

edit, it was upped to youtube just 2 days ago! I'm diving in...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 12:18:51 PM by zombie no.one » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 12:22:50 PM »

there's a 2hr 37min director's cut of BOARDINGHOUSE (1982) which I'm tempted by...

God damn! The original 1hr 38min sounds too long for that movie!

Although I may have to dive in with you  Bluesad
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 01:49:32 PM »

God damn! The original 1hr 38min sounds too long for that movie!

Although I may have to dive in with you  Bluesad

haha good luck. I'm about an hour in to it. just taking a quick time out... the editing is very trippy.

it comes across like the mutant offspring of THINGS and SAMURAI COP, with a bit of THE ROOM chucked in.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 12:01:30 AM »

The director's cut of Heaven's Gate (1980) apparently ran 5 hours 25 minutes. Michael Cimino told the executives at United Artists that "the final version will be 15 min shorter"  Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
teenagehonvedfan
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 05:27:23 AM »

Meet Joe Black is about three hours long. It feels about twice that long, though.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 09:16:27 AM »

Well, who can forget the forgettable Timbo Hines opus that was overhyped, underproduced War Of The Worlds...

Or Kerry Conran's overproduced, underdeveloped attempt a quality green screen cgi that was Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow...

Sky Captain is just painful to watch.
(goes to post in the "Worst movies since 1980" thread)

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  LOOOOONG Bad Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.