Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:53:39 AM
714259 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7737 Members
Latest Member: NannieHime
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Coming out of the Star Wars Prequel Closet « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Coming out of the Star Wars Prequel Closet  (Read 1644 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: November 22, 2022, 06:10:53 PM »

I like the prequels. In fact I prefer them over the original trilogy by about the same proportion I like the originals over the hapless sequels

There, glad to finally admit that truth at last. And I know somewhere there have to be others who feel the same way. Maybe we can have a convention....in an elevator.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 07:44:54 PM »

I don't like them better than the original trilogy, but I think they are way better than most folks seem to realize.
I enjoyed them all!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 10:07:14 PM »

I came out of the closet in 2003....... oops, wrong thread and subject matter 😳😊😉🐢

I have never seen any of the Star Wars prequels.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 02:04:21 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 02:40:41 AM »

I don't care for them myself. I thought Ewan McGregor's acting was fine, but the effects often grated on me and seemed out of place compared with the older movies.

If someone else likes them, then fair enough though.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 07:35:59 AM »

My favorite STAR WARS movie is EPISODE I, it's actually the first one I saw in the cinema. And I believe the best one is EPISODE III. So don't feel bad ER, you're not alone. Think it this way: the more awful movies Disney puts out, the better people will look up to the prequels. TeddyR

I don't usually get the complaints about the prequels to be honest. I mean, Jar Jar Binks is silly? What about the ewoks taking down an army with sticks, or the annoying C3PO talking like an idiot?
Yes, Anakin and Padme romance is lame, but Leia and Solo was equally crappy and cliche. The only thing that salvaged it was the cool dialog delivered by Harrison Ford, otherwise it would've been just as boring. At least Anakin's had a point in the story.
I usually hear that the plot of EPISODE I is confusing and all over the place. Yes, because EPISODE IV was quite the original story. It wasn't even planned to have sequels, so all the talk about the Force is pure randomness, only later was fleshed out.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 07:41:13 AM by Gabriel Knight » Logged

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Morpheus, the unwoke.
Bad Movie Lover

I am a Bill Maher Democrat. Deal with it.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 04:11:47 PM »

The prequels were good, and the first taste of SW we'd had in a long while. They could not be as truly wonderful as the first movies because the first movies were totally new to audiences. No follow-up movies had thst sense of new to them that made star wars a cinema legend.

As for the effects, at least the lightsaber effects interacted with the environment now, they lit things up, reflected off shiny things, etc. The fx of the originals didn't allow that.

I think all the follow-up sw movies suffered from too high expectations, star wars was a legend, other novies just could never live up to what it created by being a totally new movie. You can'rlt re-do new.

They will come back, come back again, As long as the red earth rolls. He never wasted a leaf or a tree. Do you think he would squander souls?” ― Ruyard Kipling

We all come from the goddess and to her we shall return, like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 09:52:05 PM »

I think Lucas wanted to make the series more serious so that viewers would see his story as important, but something went wrong with the writing such that the whole thing came out as banal and tedious.

Similar is probably taking place for works like Andor, Boba Fett, and Obi-Wan, but Rogue One was rescued by its last act, and Mandalorian did very well by mining from very good Westerns and samurai flicks.

Which is similar to what happened to the first few movies.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 11:10:29 AM »

I only saw Phantom Menace, and was so disappointed by it that I never even bothered with Episodes II and III.

Sometimes I think about re-visiting P.M. and seeing if my opinion would be different now after so many years, but I haven't gotten round to it yet.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 04:23:13 PM »

I only saw Phantom Menace, and was so disappointed by it that I never even bothered with Episodes II and III.

Sometimes I think about re-visiting P.M. and seeing if my opinion would be different now after so many years, but I haven't gotten round to it yet.

I am much of the same opinion. What I have seen of the prequels doesn't really motivate me to go out and see them. But I do agree that they are made out to be worse than they are.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 11:47:46 PM »

I remember Pop pointing out after watching the early movies that they look familiar. Later, I found out that Lucas was borrowing heavily from pirate movies, samurai flicks, Westerns, war movies, etc., so when I told Pop he said, "So, that explains it. Dambusters!"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

Given that, maybe Lucas wanted to show something original and at the same time more adult. I guess it didn't work.
Cult_Moody_Movies
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 02:53:43 PM »

Worst movies of all time? No. Did they live up to the hype? No. It was clear George Lucas had nobody to tell him no after not directing for over 22 years.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 10:51:44 AM »

I remember Pop pointing out after watching the early movies that they look familiar. Later, I found out that Lucas was borrowing heavily from pirate movies, samurai flicks, Westerns, war movies, etc., so when I told Pop he said, "So, that explains it. Dambusters!"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Given that, maybe Lucas wanted to show something original and at the same time more adult. I guess it didn't work.

"Borrowing" or touching on similar tropes? (Or a homage?)  Remember, according to that great sage Stephen King, all storytelling is going down one of seven paths.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 09:49:54 PM »

"Borrowing" or touching on similar tropes? (Or a homage?)  Remember, according to that great sage Stephen King, all storytelling is going down one of seven paths.

It's similar with Mandalorian, which borrows heavily from westerns (including spaghetti westerns) and samurai flicks and movies. One can see things like Lone Wolf and Cub, The Seven Samurai, etc. Similar to Star Wars and Hidden Fortress, among others. Finally, there's also Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces, etc.

However, there's also Bloom's "anxiety of influence, where new artists want to break away from their predecessors. This might explain the last part of my post:

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Coming out of the Star Wars Prequel Closet « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.