Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:46:14 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  New Friday the 13th on the way? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Friday the 13th on the way?  (Read 3976 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: May 05, 2021, 07:52:07 AM »

Slasher fans may be rejoicing soon as there are signs that the long Jason Voorhees drought is coming to an end. The iconic hockey-masked killer of the Friday the 13th movies has been trapped in legal limbo due to never-ending litigation between franchise producer Sean S. Cunningham and the original film’s writer, Victor Miller. Now, however, after delays caused by appeals, COVID-19 and mediation, it seems that there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

This morning, trusted insider Daniel Richtman teased on his Patreon that a revival may be on the cards, saying: A new movie project for FRIDAY THE 13TH is finally in the works. Then, later in the day, journalist Caleb Williams tweeted an animated gif of Jason in action, captioning it: Soon… #Fridaythe13th

See for yourself below:

If an announcement on a new Friday the 13th movie really is impending, though, what form might it take? Well, just yesterday, Blumhouse’s Jason Blum was asked about whether his studio could do for Jason what they did for Michael Myers in 2018’s Halloween, and he said:

“I don’t have an answer to that. But like I’ve said before, I would love to do it and it’s very complicated, but I hope someday. How about that? It’s not the answer I want to hear because I wish it was right away, but it isn’t.”

In addition, Master of Horror Stephen King revealed earlier this summer that he has a Friday the 13th project ready to go. His version is called I, Jason and is told from the perspective of Jason as he’s repeatedly defeated by gangs of resourceful teenagers.

As King explained:

“Killed over and over again at Camp Crystal Lake. What a hellish, existential fate! [But] just thinking about the legal thicket one would have to go through to get permissions makes my head ache. And my heart, that too. But gosh, shouldn’t someone tell Jason’s side of the story? Blumhouse could do it as a movie.”

The return of Jason Voorhees and Friday the 13th, written by Stephen King and produced by Blumhouse? Sounds like a license to print money to me. C’mon, guys, let’s get Jason back on our screens in style!

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 08:12:31 AM »

Stop, just, stop. It seems like the sole idea of this guys using their imaginations sounds like heresy.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
chainsaw midget
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 10:13:39 AM »

“Killed over and over again at Camp Crystal Lake. What a hellish, existential fate! [But] just thinking about the legal thicket one would have to go through to get permissions makes my head ache. And my heart, that too. But gosh, shouldn’t someone tell Jason’s side of the story? Blumhouse could do it as a movie.”

I'm wondering if there even would be that much of a legal thicket. 

You'd think somebody like that could basically just walk up to the studio and go "Hi.  I'm Stephen King.  I want to do a Friday the 13th movie," and they'd be all over it.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 11:48:04 AM »

I'm wondering if there even would be that much of a legal thicket. 

You'd think somebody like that could basically just walk up to the studio and go "Hi.  I'm Stephen King.  I want to do a Friday the 13th movie," and they'd be all over it.

Not if the studio doesn't have the rights, which I think (I've not been following this 100% so not totally sure), is the issue.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 01:09:19 PM »

"But gosh, shouldn’t someone tell Jason’s side of the story? "

I think no... in a way his appeal is his relative anonymity.

a talky jason with feelings would lose the mystery that makes him what he is, imo

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 02:01:56 PM »

I kinda like King's idea. Especially if we can hear Jason's thoughts in voice over form by Daniel Stern, ala "The Wonder Years." :D

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 06:42:07 PM »

I kinda like King's idea. Especially if we can hear Jason's thoughts in voice over form by Daniel Stern, ala "The Wonder Years." :D
I like that!  I can imagine Stern's voice saying "As I started back down the trail that night I saw those kids in that cabin and they were bumping uglies.  I thought to myself, 'Hell no!  Imma go kill 'em.'"

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
chainsaw midget

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 10:01:01 PM »

I like that!  I can imagine Stern's voice saying "As I started back down the trail that night I saw those kids in that cabin and they were bumping uglies.  I thought to myself, 'Hell no!  Imma go kill 'em.'"
I think this deserves it's own topic.  I'm going to make one!
Jim H

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 11:20:50 PM »

"But gosh, shouldn’t someone tell Jason’s side of the story? "

I think no... in a way his appeal is his relative anonymity.

a talky jason with feelings would lose the mystery that makes him what he is, imo

I'm betting he doesn't talk or have narration in King's treatment.  Silent protagonist most likely.  It'd be really difficult to make a feature out of though.

Or maybe they'd go the Unmasked Part 25 route who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-GXGRxNjWo
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  New Friday the 13th on the way? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.