Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:18:14 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Attn: Trevor - South Africa Screams: Voices From The New Wave Of S.A. Genre... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Attn: Trevor - South Africa Screams: Voices From The New Wave Of S.A. Genre...  (Read 3233 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: July 23, 2021, 09:22:34 AM »

A free seminar in conjunction with the Fantasia International Film Festival.. However, I don't know if it will be available outside of Canada, but you might want to check into it, and you might know some of the speakers.

https://fantasiafestival.com/en/festival-2021/special-events/south-africa-screams-voices-from-the-new-wave-of-s-a-genre-cinema

With panelists Nosipho Dumisa (NUMBER 37), Kelsey Egan (GLASSHOUSE), Bradley Joshua (Gambit Films, producer, BLOOD & WATER), Ryan Kruger (FRIED BARRY), Michael Matthews (FIVE FINGERS FOR MARSEILLES) and Travis Taute (INDEMNITY).

In recent years, South Africa has lit up the international cinema world with inspired and sophisticated genre film reworkings that frequently win awards and leave audiences breathless. Fantasia has proudly showcased many of these works, including the tense crime drama NUMBER 37 (winner of our Jury award for Best Director), the fierce Western FIVE FINGERS FOR MARSEILLES, the poetic horror film 8 (retitled in some territories as THE SOUL COLLECTOR) and the unclassifiable UFO that is FRIED BARRY. This year, Fantasia will be World Premiering not one but two South African works, Travis Taute’s INDEMNITY and Kelsey Egan’s GLASSHOUSE. To celebrate, the festival will be presenting a special roundtable discussion between some of the leading talents in S.A.’s new wave. Don’t miss this special opportunity to hear insights and production stories from some of the country’s most exciting artists, brought together for what’s sure to be an unforgettable time.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 10:30:19 AM »

I wonder If Trev will be there?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 12:49:28 PM »

I wish!  If he comes here he has visiting to do!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 12:54:57 PM »

A free seminar in conjunction with the Fantasia International Film Festival.. However, I don't know if it will be available outside of Canada, but you might want to check into it, and you might know some of the speakers.

https://fantasiafestival.com/en/festival-2021/special-events/south-africa-screams-voices-from-the-new-wave-of-s-a-genre-cinema

With panelists Nosipho Dumisa (NUMBER 37), Kelsey Egan (GLASSHOUSE), Bradley Joshua (Gambit Films, producer, BLOOD & WATER), Ryan Kruger (FRIED BARRY), Michael Matthews (FIVE FINGERS FOR MARSEILLES) and Travis Taute (INDEMNITY).

In recent years, South Africa has lit up the international cinema world with inspired and sophisticated genre film reworkings that frequently win awards and leave audiences breathless. Fantasia has proudly showcased many of these works, including the tense crime drama NUMBER 37 (winner of our Jury award for Best Director), the fierce Western FIVE FINGERS FOR MARSEILLES, the poetic horror film 8 (retitled in some territories as THE SOUL COLLECTOR) and the unclassifiable UFO that is FRIED BARRY. This year, Fantasia will be World Premiering not one but two South African works, Travis Taute’s INDEMNITY and Kelsey Egan’s GLASSHOUSE. To celebrate, the festival will be presenting a special roundtable discussion between some of the leading talents in S.A.’s new wave. Don’t miss this special opportunity to hear insights and production stories from some of the country’s most exciting artists, brought together for what’s sure to be an unforgettable time.

Thanks, Rev.

I do know some of those names and the films: the producers of the film Five Fingers For Marseilles (a very good film) promoted it as "the first Western to be made in Africa". Oy, shows you how much they know. Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 12:58:12 PM »

I would love to come and visit you but I'm not well enough to travel anywhere sadly: it's hard enough to get out of bed and be positive these days.  Bluesad

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 01:07:02 PM »

I would love to come and visit you but I'm not well enough to travel anywhere sadly: it's hard enough to get out of bed and be positive these days.  Bluesad

Bluesad   I know how much you enjoy winter in SA.  It's summer for us right now - that might suit you better.   Smile

"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 10:01:21 PM »

One of my all-time favorite rock/metal bands came out of Johannesburg, South Africa. Suck, who released their only album before breaking up because unfortunately, their main gimmick was literally destroying every set that they played on during every show; to the point where no venue would allow them to play under their roof, so the band ultimately ran out of money to perform and subsequently broke up a mere 8 months after they formed. A classic rock and roll story if you have never heard one before! Tragic, because you heard their influences plain as day in their music; everything from The Who to Black Sabbath to Deep Purple to Led Zeppelin with just a dash of Jethro Tull. They could have been one of the great ones if they had learned to tone it down a bit.  Cheers

Small | Large
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 10:03:32 PM by zelmo73 » Logged

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 02:21:40 AM »

Bluesad   I know how much you enjoy winter in SA.  It's summer for us right now - that might suit you better.   Smile

Thanks: the actual reason I have is that depression is a daily thing for me and it is very hard to deal with, especially when I wake up in the morning and have no real reason to get out of bed because we are barred from going to the office again during this lockdown. It is hard especially as I have no one to talk to anymore.  Bluesad

Sorry if I'm whining again but it is really becoming difficult to cope, which is why I haven't been on FB for a while.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 06:22:27 AM »

{{Hugs}}

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »

{{Hugs}}

Hugs back, Sister. Freezing here.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 07:55:05 AM »

I registered for this: it should be interesting. Smile

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Attn: Trevor - South Africa Screams: Voices From The New Wave Of S.A. Genre... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.