Main Menu

Random Thought Thread Part III: The Thinking

Started by ER, September 30, 2021, 01:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Ever wondered what it is the 'German' soldier say at the start of Saving Private Ryan just before they get gunned down while they attempted to surrender?

My translation isn't exact, but it is along the lines of "Don't shoot, we are Czech. We haven't killed anyone."

A lot of the troops manning the Atlantic Wall were conscripts from other countries and this would not be an unusual situation. The book I am reading at the moment tells one story of such a group of conscripts who refused to fight, remaining solidly in their bunker and not shooting. A German commander from another bunker was on his way to throw a bag full of grenades in and kill them when an allied barrage scored a direct hit and saved him the trouble.
Hail to thyself
For I am my own master
I am my own god
I require no shepherd
For I am no sheep.

RCMerchant

^ Or he was a German soldier and was lying so they wouldn't shoot him.

Many were in a situation such as "You fight for us, or we kill your family."

But, yeah, the Nazi's would take on anybody from conquered countries. The French Vichy loved Hitler.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Alex

He is also speaking Czech rather than German.
Hail to thyself
For I am my own master
I am my own god
I require no shepherd
For I am no sheep.

RCMerchant

Quote from: Alex on April 02, 2022, 10:24:53 AM
He is also speaking Czech rather than German.

The Nazi's treated people like cattle.
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

LilCerberus

Heinrich Severloh decided to surrender after dumping eight boxes of machine gun fire into Omaha Beach.
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

ER

What does not kill me makes me stranger.

ER

Occurred to me today that I've had my main email address since February 1999, more than half my life.

ER

I hope I don't die before my life is over.

LilCerberus

Before the invention of light bulbs, before even the discovery of fire, what could have possibly appeared above the heads of cave men every time they had an idea in a comic strip????????????
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

Alex

Quote from: LilCerberus on April 06, 2022, 07:33:11 PM
Before the invention of light bulbs, before even the discovery of fire, what could have possibly appeared above the heads of cave men every time they had an idea in a comic strip????????????

The sun.
Hail to thyself
For I am my own master
I am my own god
I require no shepherd
For I am no sheep.

LilCerberus

The Granby, Colorado PD shouldn't have destroyed Marvin Heemeyer's KillDozer....

They should've kept it, studied it, so that someday they could send the blueprints to the Ukraine.....

lester1/2jr

There's now a rival Colombian place in east Boston that features even more disgusting hot dogs than La Chiva

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbLubV1lCM9/

Leah

yeah no.

Rev. Powell

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Trevor

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.