Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:05:17 PM
714158 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Random Thought Thread Part III: The Thinking « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 148
Author Topic: Random Thought Thread Part III: The Thinking  (Read 230401 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2021, 10:10:19 AM »

I hear there are moves in Brazil to make their president stand trial for genocide for his handling of Covid and the amount of deaths.

While I find it hard to believe such a protest actually succeeding and him standing trial for war crimes, imagine a world where politicians were actually held accountable for their actions? Now wouldn't that be something?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2021, 10:23:40 AM »

^ It happened in Nuremberg...except some sneaky Nazis ended up working for the Allies, and many still had their companies and holdings.  Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2021, 10:54:02 AM »

Shame the Japanese war criminals got away with their crimes back then.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2021, 11:17:38 AM »

^ Yes. But we dropped 2 A-bombs on Japan, and I think all  involved just wanted it over.
I think they got what they paid for, but dropping it on civilians- and I know they murdered civilians-so did everybody.
But we just dropped a big bomb on a major city. And another the next day.
I don't really know what to say about anything.
I DO know by sowing anger and hate into a mind set among others is just f**king lashing out because your life is empty.
I don't know for sure, but it seems to have become a religion to some folks.
" You have created a monster, and it will destroy you."
FRANKENSTEIN (1931)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 11:25:07 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2021, 01:20:57 PM »

Here at home, Donald Rumsfeld deserved to be held accountable for his inexcusable failures of duty as Defense Secretary; Dick Cheney was probably within the bounds of being a war criminal; and George W. Bush routinely ignored intelligence that ran contrary to his version of how he wanted things to be, costing uncountable loss of life.  At the very least I hope history judges them harshly.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2021, 02:04:55 PM »

I think dropping the bombs possibly had more to do with being a warning shot to the Soviet Union. They were already grabbing territory in Eastern Europe that went further than the agreements Stalin had made with the west. No one wanted them grabbing more land and having a controlling stake in Japan.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2021, 08:14:50 PM »

My Dad was scheduled to take part in the second wave of the invasion of Japan.  Army intelligence expected America to lose 250,000 to 500,000 troops in a conventional D-Day style invasion of Japan - and to subdue the island, the casualties they would have to inflict on the enemy, based on  Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Saipan, and all the other Japanese held islands we stormed, would have probably been ten times our own losses.
The bomb ended the war at the cost of 100,000 dead.  It sucked for those killed, but in the end, I do believe the  atomic bombs saved more lives than they took.
And one of them was my Dad's.

I'm glad I didn't have to make that call.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2021, 08:26:32 PM »

^ The deal I have with dropping the A bomb-once- I can understand from a tactical move. It scared the f**k out of everybody. But why Nagasaki? There was no reason to do that.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2021, 10:56:19 PM »

^ The deal I have with dropping the A bomb-once- I can understand from a tactical move. It scared the f**k out of everybody. But why Nagasaki? There was no reason to do that.

After Hiroshima, the USA gave Japan an ultimatum: Surrender within 48 hours or we hit you again.
Japan did not surrender, and we hit them again.
They surrendered the next day.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2021, 11:13:03 PM »

it was terrorism, plain and simple
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2021, 12:16:07 AM »

it was terrorism, plain and simple

It was WAR.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2021, 12:29:17 AM »

Bombing the population to influence the policies of the govt is terrorism
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2021, 06:46:42 AM »

The cities that were hit were picked because they had been relatively untouched by the war so far. It was felt that bombing a city that had already been reduced to rubble would lessen the psychological impact of the weapon. If I remember rightly (and I'd have to admit here that my memory is a bit fuzzy here, it has been a long time since we did the Laws Of Armed Conflict (LOAC), as a study in relation to the bombings), both cities were legitimate targets as they were producing war goods or had a large military base... something like that. Certainly, given their own activities in places like Nanking (it was the Rape of Nanking that really set Japan and the US on the course to war) I don't think the Japanese can really complain about what was done to them. If you really want to know more behind the reasons RC, I can look them up for you and send you some links when I have some free time.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2021, 08:43:31 AM »

^ Like Alex mentioned, I think the fact that Russia was eyeballing Japan in the final months of the war is why the US dropped the bombs. If I recall, Russia and Japan had dealings with  each other back in the early 1900's.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2021, 08:56:45 AM »

In academic circles there is certainly a lot of debate on what actually caused Japan to surrender, was it the two bombs, or was it that the Soviet Union had broken their non-aggression pact and was rampaging throughout Manchukuo (Manchuria). My own view is that it would have been a combination of factors (these and a few others too).

You are correct about Japan and Russia having been at war previously. Japan shocked the world when it humiliated Russia in 1904/1905, sinking two large Russian fleets. Later (although Russia was by then the USSR), there was the Battles of Khalkhin Gol, an event little known in the west but that set the course of the Second World War even before a shot of that conflict had been fired.

In a completely unrelated issue, is anyone here an expert in faultfinding with printers?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 148
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Random Thought Thread Part III: The Thinking « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.