Main Menu

RIP Bob Dole

Started by sprite75, December 05, 2021, 12:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprite75

Bob Dole died in his sleep this morning

QuoteBob Dole, who overcame disabling war wounds to become a sharp-tongued Senate leader from Kansas, a Republican presidential candidate and then a symbol and celebrant of his dwindling generation of World War II veterans, has died. He was 98.

His wife, Elizabeth Dole, posted the announcement Sunday on Twitter.

Dole announced in February 2021 that he'd been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. During his 36-year career on Capitol Hill, Dole became one of the most influential legislators and party leaders in the Senate, combining a talent for compromise with a caustic wit, which he often turned on himself but didn't hesitate to turn on others, too.

During his 36-year career on Capitol Hill, Dole became one of the most influential legislators and party leaders in the Senate, combining a talent for compromise with a caustic wit, which he often turned on himself but didn't hesitate to turn on others, too.

He was born one week before my paternal grandpa.  RIP Mr. Dole.
God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.

indianasmith

Thank you for your service to our country, Senator.
You would have been a fine President.

I will never forget him standing up, with great effort, in order to salute the casket of Pres. George H.W. Bush when he was lying in state two years ago.
The Greatest Generation is nearly gone now . . .
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

ER

Bob Dole was a husband, father, a statesman, a self-sacrificing war hero, a man with dry, biting wit rare in these caustic times, but I think I will remember him most for his career-capping nude scene on The Simpsons. (Forward to 1:22.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGvTzIOSFyc
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

Trevor

RIP, Senator.

A funny thing if I may: in the early days of CNN broadcasting here, there was a Jeanne Moos feature about boom mikes of all things and part of it was given over to politicians and famous people getting into trouble with those things, including the OJ trial judge Lance Ito getting hit on the head with one  :buggedout:

Cue a shot of Senator Dole standing with a child:

Child (pointing to the mike) "What's that?"
Sen. Dole: "That's a rabbit. Don't talk to it."  :teddyr: :teddyr:
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: ER on December 06, 2021, 10:08:17 AM
Bob Dole was a husband, father, a statesman, a self-sacrificing war hero, a man with dry, biting wit rare in these caustic times, but I think I will remember him most for his career-capping nude scene on The Simpsons. (Forward to 1:22.)

The first thing I thought of when I heard the news was this same Simpsons episode, haha.

"Ehhh....Bob Dole doesn't need this." :D
Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat