Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:01:13 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A random theoretical question I asked a friend. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A random theoretical question I asked a friend.  (Read 2365 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: December 13, 2021, 11:35:25 AM »

For what I thought was an off the cuff question I asked an American friend prompted a much lengthier discussion than I had anticipated, so I thought I'd ask it here.

The premise is that all the constituent states all go to war with each other. No alliances or assistance from outside nations, although those with borders to other countries can trade (as can countries that have access to the ocean).

Things to take into consideration might include the amount of light and heavy industry (if you don't have access to ball bearings, then you've lost. The single most important thing in keeping a modern military going) in each state as well as its natural resources, and population although curiously we didn't bring in what military bases each place had in it and access to freshwater supplies (especially for Texas and California). Although we mentioned that individual states might split into mini-civil wars over racial lines, we didn't really go deeply down that rabbit hole.

My own scenario had New York collapsing fairly quickly under internal pressures (an inability to feed itself primarily that saw it collapse into a citywide 'Escape From The Bronx' type scenario). Texas and California both did quite well despite some initial problems (both were wealthy enough to buy in the goods they required as well as having access to world trade). Alaska and Hawaii both survived more or less untouched, but were ultimately not able to contribute meaningfully to the conflict due to geographic concerns but ultimately none of them was who I put down as winning.

The person I asked had a number of regional power centres arising (Georgia, Texas, Colorado, Ohio), but no ultimate winner.

Anyway, what do other people think?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 11:41:26 AM »

It would be total chaos and anarchy. Maybe China or Russia would just waltz in.
It will never happen. Most folks stationed on military bases are not from the state they are based at. So that does nothing for the independent states.
Plus most folks just don't care.  Or too fat and lazy.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 11:56:07 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 12:14:54 PM »

My own sense is that California would win. You did not mention whether states could form alliances with each other.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 01:48:14 PM »

One may also take into consideration, the conflict between the urban areas & the rural areas...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 12:02:01 PM »

One may also take into consideration, the conflict between the urban areas & the rural areas...

That won't happen either.
I mean, many rural folks voted for Trump, who was a spoiled rich brat from NYC.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 12:16:44 PM »

My own sense is that California would win. You did not mention whether states could form alliances with each other.
Yes he did.  No alliances. 

California, New York, New Jersey are each well placed for international trade, with infrastructure to expedite shipment. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
LilCerberus

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 01:55:07 PM »

There's also the issue of where the labor unions have the strongest vs the weakest presence.....

As we've learned from the supply chain issues this year, part of the problem is the way labor unions on the west coast shut down massive upgrades that would've cost jobs, leaving ports in the southeast & Gulf Coast, which DID get these upgrades, to pick up the slack...

In addition, California's CARB laws, which favor big business and big labor, and have forced independent owner operators off the road....

Admittedly, our best ports may not be the best located, & a trip through Panama or around Cape Horn isn't cheap, but that's the situation we're in......

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 02:02:30 PM »

Einsteinian!   TeddyR   Lookingup 

All the states at war?  Ground zero.  Anarchy in the streets.  Martial law.  Civil unrest.  Panic at the disco.   Smile

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 02:22:29 PM »

There's also the issue of where the labor unions have the strongest vs the weakest presence.....

As we've learned from the supply chain issues this year, part of the problem is the way labor unions on the west coast shut down massive upgrades that would've cost jobs, leaving ports in the southeast & Gulf Coast, which DID get these upgrades, to pick up the slack...

In addition, California's CARB laws, which favor big business and big labor, and have forced independent owner operators off the road....

Admittedly, our best ports may not be the best located, & a trip through Panama or around Cape Horn isn't cheap, but that's the situation we're in......

During times of war, these factors tend to be less of an issue as people as less likely to protest about them, and when they do the military tend to be used to force the issue and when they are in a full-on war, they tend not to have much sympathy for whinging civilians.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
LilCerberus

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 04:14:33 PM »

During times of war, these factors tend to be less of an issue as people as less likely to protest about them, and when they do the military tend to be used to force the issue and when they are in a full-on war, they tend not to have much sympathy for whinging civilians.

True, but then the issue at hand would be civil war, thus entailing a feud between leaders who would or would not empower those who would hold back progress (or what some might believe goes against what they consider progress?)....

I'd have to go back to my first comment questioning whether or not cities, counties & other municipalities would remain in solidarity as occurred during the American Civil War with West Virginia & Fredericksburg, and is currently going on with Maryland & Oregon......

And some food for thought, during World War 1, the United States was mostly needed for manpower, but Woodrow Wilson was so busy with propaganda & jailing people who disagreed with his idea to join the Allies, that he didn't put much into logistics...
As a result, most US troops were using British & French planes, trucks & rifles when they entered the war.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 10:29:35 PM »

If Michigan ever turned Mad Max it would be a bunch of drunk meth head hillbillies running around with guns.
I wouldn't do nothing.
I would just rather watch!

Or not...!  Buggedout

« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 10:42:37 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2021, 11:09:01 PM »

I mean, I live in Philly and we're all a bunch of scumbags.  Somehow we'd survive very, very long I'd suspect.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2021, 11:23:20 PM »

I believe we all need each other.

Otherwise...whats the use?

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
LilCerberus

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2021, 11:27:34 PM »

^Except me^

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2021, 11:31:55 PM »

^Except me^

You don't feel needed or loved by anybody in your life?  Question
Your fine, man. Don't sweat it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 11:41:39 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A random theoretical question I asked a friend. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.