Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:53:45 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Sports « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sports  (Read 2836 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: March 17, 2022, 08:52:25 AM »

So, today is a big sports day: with the right cable package, you can watch tournament basketball games from noon to midnight.

It occurs to me we never talk sports, and that it would be hard to gather a group of random people together with as little interest in sports as you find here. Still, everyone must have some kind of sports experience, either playing or watching, even if you didn't like it.

In school I was forced to try a little of everything (except hockey, growing up mostly in Texas). I ended up playing soccer (before it was cool and popular). I also played tennis, and was pretty good. We also had a basketball hoop at home so I became a good shooter (though since I never played anything organized I never gained any real skills).

When I moved up north I stopped with the soccer. In my last high school there was a lot of pressure for everyone to play sports, and I was no longer good enough for soccer and there wasn't a tennis team, so I ran track. When I got to college I started smoking and drinking and that ended most sports participation. I did hit the winning free throws in the only game my Freshman intramural team won, though.

As for watching sports, I can only handle football and basketball. I'm bored by baseball, and never got into hockey, and honestly I wouldn't watch that much football if not for fantasy football. Basketball is huge here and my family has had season tickets to the Louisville Cardinals for years. I almost never miss a game when they're playing.

And today, I am excited about my bracket(s) and hoping to finally win my family pool! This is the year! (I always come in near the top but I haven't been #1 in decades. Been runner-up more than I care to remember. I want that $25!)

What are your sports experiences, playing or watching?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 09:41:44 AM »

I used to compete at a national level for Judo, but due to family circumstances, I had to stop before I could potentially go any further. I was winning a lot of gold medals so I like to think I could have gone quite far had I been able to continue. Rugby was also something I found fun, while I was at school. I didn't care much for the other sports I'd to join in. The thing I did most was long-distance running. For 6 years I ran between 4 to 6 hours, five days a week (Wednesdays and Sundays were rest days). I'd get up at 3:30 am and go running, getting home around 8 then go to school or work, whichever I was doing at the time. Then a couple of times a week I'd go out and do another 2 hours in the evening. I started accumulating injuries, partially from running so much and partially from being stabbed a few times in random street fights but it was enough to put paid to my runs.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 10:25:21 AM »

I never was much into team sports on a personal level.  I was too self-conscious as a kid and acutely aware of being gangly and uncoordinated early on.  (Being quite tall for my age).  Softball at school was sheer agony.  I was the kid always picked last.

Skating I was relatively good at.  Biking.  Sailing.  I can paddle a mean canoe!  Loved my little boat back in my teens.

I grew up in a hockey family.  Everybody played the game but Mom.  Watching the Leafs play brings it all back - and does alarming things to my blood pressure, I am sure.

I have been told I am built for swimming and my husband says I could have been competitive in tennis.  Neither really lit my fire.

But horses is where it is at!   hot hot hot Equestrian pursuits I excel at.  Particularly going fast cross-country and jumping all the things.  Dressage is enjoyable too in its own way.  I train horses and coach people in riding.  Don't get me started...

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 10:39:29 AM »

JUST when I thought every possible topic had been covered on here, a new one comes out of nowhere!

Let's see....

I minored in PE in college and have always been active person. Inactivity is slow torture to me. But I am not all that into sports.

Tennis ruled my life in my early teens, there was room for no other sport, it was a near-constant pursuit, and false modesty aside, I was more than good. But, ibid.

Volleyball (tennis for slow people) can be fun but I hate playing on a team and would rather control my own fate.

For the past few years I have studied Krav Maga, first at a center, later in private lessons I got for my children, and I do like learning that physical art, but I am not butch, so I'm not built for the rigors of a lot of what's on offer there, to be honest, and once had to spar with a female descendant of the Jew Bear from Inglorious Basterds, and somehow in my terror I landed a lucky shot, then saw she wanted to hurt me for it, and I'd be lying if I didn't say that coincided with me easing back from my lessons. ;-)

As for watching sports....

Some guy briefly got me into college football years ago, but I seldom watch anymore. Or any football. A friend of mine in Austin used to say the most important things in life were: Texas, Family, God, the Cowboys, and everything else. Wow....

Where I went to college, hockey was king o' the world, but when it came to spectating I had zero basis of appreciating the subtleties of that delicate, ballet-like sport of gentlemen. I was invited to a game by my roommate and her friends my first year there and I took a book to read, something I do whenever I go to any sporting event in which my children aren't playing, and my roommate looked at me like I'd kicked her grandma, so I put the book away and instead watched burley men skate into each other for an hour. Not a bad sport, definitely not boring, I just didn't feel anything about it.

Baseball....I like the idea of baseball more than the reality, since years pass without me watching it. I grew up hearing tales of when the local team ruled the world, that's in the foundation of my childhood, and do have precious memories of going to a World Series game in 1990 with my grandpa and cousin, but mainly baseball is under my radar.

I don't know, what else....? Uh....My best friend growing up loved horses and planned to be an equine vet, and I sometimes would watch the big races with her each spring and summer but that was never my thing and seemed mean in a way, whipping horses and making them run.  I know horses are terrifying demons in disguise but that doesn't justify whipping on them.

I like badminton (tennis for slightly slow people) because I played that with my grandma as a kid.

Oh! Curling is amusing. I watch that every tie the Winter Olympics comes on.

There you go, sports and me!

Good topic, Rev!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 10:52:05 AM »

Yeah got my brackets for men's and women's done this morning.  It'll probably be all shot to hell by the end of the week - especially the part that has Iowa going to the championship - but it's fun putting it together.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 11:10:56 AM »

...partially from being stabbed a few times in random street fights...

Buggedout

I forgot about judo. I started in judo as a kid but on the day of my yellow belt test I broke my collarbone! That ended that. Although, oddly enough, I still remembered the simple hip-leverage throw we learned and instinctively used in it an actual (playful) fight many years later.

Also, I bowled for a while in my teens and 20s. It was enjoyable and certainly something I could have kept up with. It takes a bit of effort to get out to an alley, though, and I guess I just lost interest.

And pool, I got decent at pool because we had a table in our dorm, but I haven't played in years.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 12:16:12 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 12:05:54 PM »

Although I'm a nerd (and proud of it) I have always enjoyed sports, both playing and watching.

Cricket and soccer were and remain my games of choice: in cricket, I wasn't a bad batter or bowler but I hated fielding.

I remember taking a penalty in a practice soccer match once: I ran in, kicked the ball, slipped and landed on my ass. Buggedout

Rugby: not a fan at all. I had a bad experience where I injured someone on the field and I never played again.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 12:16:52 PM »

I usta watch a lot of boxing in the late 70's and 80's.
Then the cable stations started pay for view- and I quit.

I would pay to see Musk and Putin duke it out! At the final bell, they both fall through a trap door into a pool of sharks.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 12:45:40 PM »

But horses is where it is at!   hot hot hot Equestrian pursuits I excel at.  Particularly going fast cross-country and jumping all the things.  Dressage is enjoyable too in its own way.  I train horses and coach people in riding.  Don't get me started...

I remember when I was a kid (around seven, maybe eight) visiting family here and a cousin of mine asked me if I wanted to tag along to a gymkhana. I said I would like to and was impressed with the horses, the dressage, the jumping etc but something happened that day which freaked me out and I very rarely talk about it.

One of the riders - who seemed to be a bit upset with his horse and dug his spurs into the horse's flanks - got bucked off his horse and fell headfirst on a thick wooden fence post. The person lay on the ground and started convulsing: my cousin got me away from the scene and all I remember after that was seeing an ambulance arriving. Buggedout

Moral of the story: treat animals well and they will reward you in many ways.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 01:38:05 PM »

I remember when I was a kid (around seven, maybe eight) visiting family here and a cousin of mine asked me if I wanted to tag along to a gymkhana.

Gymkata! There's another sport I like watching.

https://youtu.be/yMQmBupWJXI

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 02:18:58 PM »

One of the riders - who seemed to be a bit upset with his horse and dug his spurs into the horse's flanks - got bucked off his horse and fell headfirst on a thick wooden fence post. The person lay on the ground and started convulsing: my cousin got me away from the scene and all I remember after that was seeing an ambulance arriving. Buggedout

Moral of the story: treat animals well and they will reward you in many ways.

Buggedout  Seeing that would certainly be traumatic!  Animals do have a strongly developed sense of right and wrong.  And retribution. Transgress at your peril.  

Eta: that is what makes working with them so rewarding:  to be able to elicit their trust and full cooperation is a huge compliment to one's tact and empathy.  The ultimate social approval.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 02:24:45 PM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 02:46:42 PM »

I remember when I was a kid (around seven, maybe eight) visiting family here and a cousin of mine asked me if I wanted to tag along to a gymkhana.

Gymkata! There's another sport I like watching.

https://youtu.be/yMQmBupWJXI

TeddyR TeddyR

Rev, I think I am the only person you know who will admit to seeing that in a theater  Wink

sprite75

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2022, 05:14:13 PM »

Yeah there goes my bracket.

The 5th seeded Iowa Hawkeyes lost a tough NCAA Tournament first-round game to the 12th seeded Richmond Spiders, who pulled of a big upset.

The heavily favored Hawkeyes fell to Richmond 67-63 in a game of runs that came down to the last seconds.

After being down by six with 34 seconds left, Iowa was able to score a basket, get a steal, and score again to be within two points. The Spiders, however, continued to make their free-throws to close out the game and send the Hawkeyes home.

The Hawkeyes struggled making baskets, shooting just 36% from the field, and 21% from three.

f**k.

sprite75

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2022, 08:57:02 PM »

I had Iowa facing Kentucky in the championship game.  Well, looks like Kentucky's not going to that game either now.

John Calipari built perennial contenders at Kentucky with the very best amateur basketball players in America. He shunned experience for one-and-dones. He took in high school All-Americans and churned out lottery picks. He won championships and hundreds of games along the way, and then, in 2021, he scrapped that model for an entirely new approach.

In 2022, on Thursday in Indianapolis, it backfired.

Kentucky's oldest team in six decades, a diverse group of transfers and upperclassmen and non-top-10 recruits, entered the NCAA tournament eyeing a national title. Instead, it fell to No. 15 seed Saint Peter's in overtime, 85-79.

It's Calipari's first opening-round NCAA tournament loss at Kentucky. And it was ugly.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 12:47:26 AM »

...Gymkata! There's another sport I like watching.

GYMKATA is definitely in my top 5 favorite Bad Movies.  It is awesome.  

I used to watch baseball on TV a lot, and I went to quite a few games at Veterans, Shea, and Yankee stadiums.  We liked the National League, but convinced my friend to go with me the one time I was at Yankee stadium.  I should add baseball to the no longer interested in thread...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 12:56:52 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Sports « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.