Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:53:35 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Old home video game systems/handhelds you had, what games and when you got them? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Old home video game systems/handhelds you had, what games and when you got them?  (Read 4052 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2022, 06:07:57 PM »

Never did manage to complete Jet Set Willy, although I did get Manic Miner done.

kudos. never completed either, to this day (and I have a spectrum emulator now)

that's a thing about games in those days... you almost didn't even expect to complete them half the time.

Playstation 1--Fun times. Favorite games included the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series, and a bunch of fighting games.

absolutely loved Tony Hawk. especially the 2nd one. so good

Everybody's Golf 2 was another PS game that was way too much fun... and I don't even like golf!
Haven't people being up Golf in a long time.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2022, 01:20:09 AM »

If I could bring back any computer system I've played, I think it would be my Spectrum 48, rubber keys included (I do have an emulator for it, but it just isn't quite the same).

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2022, 04:00:59 PM »

I have a lot of nostalgic memories tied up in getting old games in my childhood.  So I could write a very long post about this, but I'll just go up to the NES.

The very first video game I ever owned was this:

This came out in 1988, and I definitely got in either '88 or '89.  It has very limited graphics, like Tiger handhelds for those who have seen those.  But, it's legitimately a pretty good game, and does a lot with a little.  Nintendo knows how to handle limited hardware.  I remember playing this in the back of the family station wagon, which was baby blue, on trips to the grocery store and stuff.  I still have the thing somewhere, and it still works too.  Image has gotten hard to see though.

A year or two later, we got an NES after over a year of my sister and I begging.  I remember we wanted Super Mario Bros 2, but it was sold out - likely from residual effects of the chip shortage of the late 80s.  So my dad got Tetris instead.  Which was disappointing for me, but great for my sister - she got great at it back then, and still a solid player today. 

Tetris was also the ONLY NES game my dad would ever try for more than a few minutes; he hated almost every other game on the system.  Which is a bit odd looking back, as my dad wasn't too bad of a gamer in some ways.  He could play Pac-Man for hours on one credit, loved StarCastle, and could beat the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text game without hints - which is bonkers to me, as that game is extremely difficult.  I feel like my dad would have enjoyed some other NES games if he'd given them more of a chance, like Adventures of Lolo, maybe Zelda, Solar Jetman, or even just the various maze games that felt a bit like Pac-Man.  But he never did, and too late now.

Other games I remember getting...  I got very sick a year or two after we got the NES, and my parents had to rush home from a vacation in Europe.  I was hospitalized for three days, and they presented me a copy of Super Mario 3 while I lay in bed.  I was pretty out of it, but I still remember it, vaguely.  It was a huge game that everyone wanted.

I got Battletoads from my grandmother, and I remember a guy in second grade overhearing this and being super impressed.  He came over to play it, and we became very good friends all the way through high school.

I remember seeing Castlevania III for $20 at Recordtown.  This was INCREDIBLY cheap at the time, so cheap it convinced my mom to get it for me.  Thinking back, this was probably 1991-1992, so about $40 in today's money.  Kind of crazy that that was "ultra cheap".  We are spoiled in pricing for games today, if you are at all patient.

Bionic Commando and Contra Force I bought from the mom and pop rental shop that I used to bike to.  They sold a lot of games off when new systems came out.

If anyone wants to see, I still have a large retro collection (especially NES stuff).  I think I have some photos online somewhere.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Old home video game systems/handhelds you had, what games and when you got them? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.