Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:59:39 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CRUISING (1980) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CRUISING (1980)  (Read 2036 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: August 05, 2022, 02:57:21 PM »

CRUISING (1980) was on a free channel we're getting last night.  I had seen it in the '80s on VHS, I watched again.  
It's still revolting and perplexing psychobabble.  Much implied, nothing explained.   Thumbdown

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Trini
Crazy Poor Asian Valley Girl
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 02:14:01 AM »

I honestly liked the movie despite its flaws and innaccuracies.

Then again, I actually have a weird fascination with 1970's gay male culture, especially the leather subculture and the seedier side of NYC's underground in general. While the film got a lot of flack within the gay community at the time, there were also a lot who liked the movie and a lot of the extras in the movie were real leathermen.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 09:48:48 AM »

Cruising was banned in South Africa in 1980: I remember reading about it in Stephen King's book Danse Macabre where he says this about it:

It fascinated me because I suspect it indicates the wave of the future for the bad film which has a big budget: it has a sparkly look that is still somehow cheesy - it's like a dead rat in a Lucite block.

Buggedout
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 01:21:08 PM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 02:24:21 PM »

I honestly liked the movie despite its flaws and innaccuracies...

I do not see "inaccuracies" in the film, just disturbing and unpleasant messages and images.  It's all over the place; the editing is a hack job. 

Cruising was banned in South Africa in 1980: I remember reading about it in Stephen King's book Danse Macabre where he says this about the film:

It fascinated me because I suspect it indicates the wave of the future for the bad film which has a big budget: it has a sparkly look that is still somehow cheesy - it's like a dead rat in a Lucite block...

I decided myself that CRUISING is a "bad film".  I can understand an interest, even fascination with it.  I like "bad movies" but not all of them by far.  I do not like CRUISING.  Yet, it defines BAD to me at every level, even "bad" for you. 

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 02:57:05 PM »

I saw a documentary about gays in movies and one point it made was that visibility might outweigh crass depictions in some ways. There were gay people in old movies and they were always stereotypes but thats how they got them into the movie,as a one dimensional joke. so its a trade off
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 12:59:22 PM »

I saw a documentary about gays in movies and one point it made was that visibility might outweigh crass depictions in some ways. There were gay people in old movies and they were always stereotypes but thats how they got them into the movie,as a one dimensional joke. so its a trade off

CRUISING wasn't a "visibility" movie.  It's an exploitative "in-your-face" movie.  Your remarks are 20th century; visibility is not the issue it was for gays. 

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 02:18:41 PM »

Well, I saw the documentary in 1992 and this movie came out in 1980. It was certainly the first mainstream one to showcase these various aspects of gay culture
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 07:47:03 PM »

Well, I saw the documentary in 1992 and this movie came out in 1980. It was certainly the first mainstream one to showcase these various aspects of gay culture

So what?  Who wants to look at it?  Perhaps those in the mood for that, but the movie is still a let-down.  It's a particularly stinky fart in the wind. 

Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 07:25:28 AM »

CRUISING wasn't a "visibility" movie.  It's an exploitative "in-your-face" movie.  Your remarks are 20th century; visibility is not the issue it was for gays. 

I agree with this. William Friedkin's films have always been sensationalist. He is not a storyteller in the traditional sense, he attempts to shock.

As for the film, I've tried to like it. It has many things going for it, such as an interesting premise and a comitted performance by Al Pacino. But as it goes on it becomes exploitative, boring and unraveled.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 11:47:22 PM »

One of the craziest bits of trivia is the real story this film is based on, the actual serial killer might (his guilt is not certain) have played an onscreen role in another Friedkin film: The Exorcist. 

I haven't seen the movie, it's just such a nutty piece of trivia I wanted to share it.

This guy. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bateson
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 03:34:48 PM »

One of the craziest bits of trivia is the real story this film is based on, the actual serial killer might (his guilt is not certain) have played an onscreen role in another Friedkin film: The Exorcist. 
I haven't seen the movie, it's just such a nutty piece of trivia I wanted to share it.
This guy. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bateson

Interesting.  THE EXORCIST is a masterpiece.  CRUISING is a masterpoo ( Lookingup). 

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CRUISING (1980) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.