Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:25:12 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ancient Apocalypse -Are there lost civilizations out there? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ancient Apocalypse -Are there lost civilizations out there?  (Read 1285 times)
Hollie Osborne
New Visitor

« on: November 21, 2022, 06:04:47 AM »

If you don’t fancy turning back to dusty cable again, complete with adverts every 7 minutes, then Netflix have you covered with its latest psuedo-science show, Ancient Apocalypse. Although Graham Hancock (our narrator and host we follow through this show) labels himself more of an investigative journalist, pseudoscience is literally translated to consisting of statements, beliefs or practices that claim to be scientific and factual but don’t actually have methods or facts to back up those claims.

Across the 8 episodes, Hancock and his team jet across the world to various different heritage locations, pointing out and highlighting potential evidence of ancient civilizations that have been around since before our hunter-gatherer ancestors, showcasing ancient civilizations that were here way before them.

While the show is interesting, it’s worth pointing out that it’s highly biased and skewed in one direction. The only mention of scientists or those in the community are in back-handed digs or bad-mouthed retorts, pointing out how scientists don’t know what they’re doing.

It’s actually a shame because Hancock presents some pretty interesting findings but the ripples of mean-spirited ribbing against science doesn’t do his cause any favours. The first episode, for example, looks at Gunung Padang, a site that seems to be evidence of an ancient civilization operating in Indonesia thousands of years ago.

As I said before though, this is a very addictive series and it’s one of those that’s easy to get lost down the rabbit hole, scrambling from mystery to mystery. One episode that’s particularly good for this looks at the Bimini rock formation, that many have pointed to as evidence of the road to Atlantis. This is actually shown off with sonars and equipment to measure the rocks, reinforcing the ideas and really sucking you into the mystery. In fact, I’d argue this is the best episode of the bunch.

However, other chapters go from the compelling to the bonkers with one chapter looking at “Poverty Point” in North America and immediately jumping into believing that the entire site is part of something much bigger, using a lot of “ifs” “maybes” and “I don’t knows” to piece together a civilization fascinated by the sky, and potentially hinting at an apocalyptic climate event.

How much you get out of Ancient Apocalyps depends on what you’re looking for. You won’t get much in the way of balanced viewpoints but tumbling down the rabbit hole and looking deeper at ancient monuments and theorizing that they could be part of something larger is undeniably moreish. This is certainly not a show to take as scientific fact but if you’re looking for more Ancient Aliens and pseudoscience entertainment, this show absolutely has you covered
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 08:15:16 AM »

As an amateur archeologist, I find these things rather laughable, but they are fun to watch.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 02:31:53 AM »

Not a show I've watched yet, although I have thought about it for the comedy value.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 07:01:55 PM »

Although it's not quite the same subject as this topic, I saw an interesting YouTube video that said the best evidence that exists for advanced pre-human civilizations having dwelled on this planet is the strange fact that the geological record shows about 75,000,000 years ago there was a spike in carbon levels on Earth that matches anything we have today as a result of our industrialized society. This level of carbon far exceeds anything that nature has ever been known to produce, and the presence of this carbon spikes seems to have been confined to a period of about 20,000 years.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 07:04:55 PM »

I know there are still probably lost cities out there somewhere.  The book The Lost City of the Monkey god talks about one that was found in the rain forest using basically deep sea scanning techniques.  But the problems with shows like this is they present the lost civilizations as super advanced even beyond what we have now, in a time when the rest of the world was still discovering agriculture and inventing the wheel.  IF there are lost civilizations, they would be most likely offshoots of already existing ones who either never amounted to much or folded back into larger ones.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 08:24:25 PM »

Ain't the OP just a spammer? 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 01:07:31 AM »

It's a fun docu series, but it gets bogged down after the third episode. I think the narrative was overly stretched, compensated only by the short running time per episode and the need to exploit the high expense of shooting on location.

Also, I would have concentrated more on reasonable points of investigation that were not pursued, like failure to find out what was beneath the mound in Indonesia or explaining why parts of the tunnels in Mexico were kept locked.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ancient Apocalypse -Are there lost civilizations out there? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.