Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:31:21 AM
714541 Posts in 53100 Topics by 7746 Members
Latest Member: Bluetoothicb
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  China suffering mass prolonged protests over covid policies. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: China suffering mass prolonged protests over covid policies.  (Read 2238 times)
Morpheus, the unwoke.
Bad Movie Lover

I am a Bill Maher Democrat. Deal with it.

« on: December 01, 2022, 10:35:11 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eT5_a0m4Rcw

For the first time since Chinese tanks crushed protests in Tiananmen square, there have been mass public protests, some forceful, in China. They've been going on for nearly a week now. The policies are over massive large scale lockdowns lastibg weeks or months over covid tgst have shut in millions of people repeatedly for about 3 years now.

Protests in Russia against pooty, protests in Iran against oppression of women and human rights violations and now protests in a country that last used tanks when the people protested. Seems like people are getting tired of totalitarianism and oppression.

I'd like to talk about people rebelling against tyranny, if possible. I'm hoping it doesn't go off into a long tangent.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 10:45:37 PM by Morpheus, the unwoke. » Logged

They will come back, come back again, As long as the red earth rolls. He never wasted a leaf or a tree. Do you think he would squander souls?” ― Ruyard Kipling

We all come from the goddess and to her we shall return, like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 12:50:00 AM »

Generals fighting the last war
Morpheus, the unwoke.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 02:28:06 AM »

Generals fighting the last war

Those get a lot of their own people killed...

They will come back, come back again, As long as the red earth rolls. He never wasted a leaf or a tree. Do you think he would squander souls?” ― Ruyard Kipling

We all come from the goddess and to her we shall return, like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 12:10:20 PM »

The protests in Iran, China and Russia give me a little but of hope for the world.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 01:08:03 PM »

I don't think by themselves these protests will overthrow governments. I don't think they quite on the path that swept through the middle east a few years back, but I hope it is steps along the path that leads them to a freer type of government if that is what the people want. I'd be happy if they were though and hope that it ended better for them than it has for the people of Libya and Syria.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 02:38:44 PM »

I think it was Toynbee who pointed out that wars and violent revolutions tend to come during times of improving conditions, so sometimes protests make me nervous. Of course I'm also all in favor of people having better lives and admire the courage it takes to face down a violent government.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 01:41:09 AM »

there are protests in russia?
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 03:54:45 AM »

there are protests in russia?

They are cracked down on by the security forces quite heavily, but yes there are protests. One day in September saw over 1300 people arrested alone.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Morpheus, the unwoke.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 05:04:29 PM »

Looks like emperor Xi has backed down on the covid policy. A little.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ChrOpdAr7fY

ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 10:14:25 PM »

I shared this in another thread: some Westerners living in China also point out that hundreds of protests take place every year, and many of them involve not just against things like lockdowns but also local politicians grabbing land, bank runs, and poor work conditions in places where electronic gadgets are manufactured from outsourcing of companies in rich countries.

I also visited some right-wing fora which naturally blame China, Russia, gays, Muslims, etc., for any societal ills, and there appears to be threads every year or so of China falling apart and revolution taking place since 2010.

Here's where it gets weirder: according to one source, Harvard conducted on-the-ground studies with careful avoidance of any biases, and discovered that the approval rating of the Commies is around 90+ pct. However, most Chinese aren't Communists but capitalists: they want to do business in the long-term. The conclusion of the studies is that the only reason why the CCP has been able to retain power is because of unprecedented economic growth: something like 7 pct on average the last four decades, one of the highest in the world, and where they essentially lifted something like 800 million people out of poverty in only two decades, and mainly through manufacturing and mechanized agriculture.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 03:40:04 AM »

There are unconfirmed reports that Iran has announced they are disbanding the morality police and looking at the law requiring women to wear hijabs.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 06:54:26 AM »

I shared this in another thread: some Westerners living in China also point out that hundreds of protests take place every year, and many of them involve not just against things like lockdowns but also local politicians grabbing land, bank runs, and poor work conditions in places where electronic gadgets are manufactured from outsourcing of companies in rich countries.

I also visited some right-wing fora which naturally blame China, Russia, gays, Muslims, etc., for any societal ills, and there appears to be threads every year or so of China falling apart and revolution taking place since 2010.

Here's where it gets weirder: according to one source, Harvard conducted on-the-ground studies with careful avoidance of any biases, and discovered that the approval rating of the Commies is around 90+ pct. However, most Chinese aren't Communists but capitalists: they want to do business in the long-term. The conclusion of the studies is that the only reason why the CCP has been able to retain power is because of unprecedented economic growth: something like 7 pct on average the last four decades, one of the highest in the world, and where they essentially lifted something like 800 million people out of poverty in only two decades, and mainly through manufacturing and mechanized agriculture.

Ralfy, the day Harvard does ANYTHING without biases is the day pigs fly.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2022, 08:58:40 AM »

There are unconfirmed reports that Iran has announced they are disbanding the morality police and looking at the law requiring women to wear hijabs.

Good news if true. We'll see how far they actually go.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2022, 03:58:17 PM »

I was talking to a guy from Turkey the other day. It is not uncommon for women from oppressive Middle Eastern countries to go there to wear mini skirts and so forth.
Morpheus, the unwoke.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2022, 05:32:23 PM »

Gee, a poll taken in a hyper authoritarian state says the people support tge state. Imagine my amazement. Could it be that saying you don't support the state in such a country could get you a scholarship to a re education facility?

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  China suffering mass prolonged protests over covid policies. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.