Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:41:37 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Benedict XVI has died « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Benedict XVI has died  (Read 1711 times)
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« on: December 31, 2022, 06:49:13 AM »

The former Pope died at the age of 95 this morning

Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, the Bavarian-born theologian whose conservative Roman Catholicism earned him the nickname “God’s Rottweiler” and who shocked his flock by suddenly resigning the papacy after just eight years, died Saturday, the Vatican said.

Benedict was the longest-living pope, having surpassed Pope Leo XIII in September 2020.

“With sorrow I inform you that the Pope Emeritus, Benedict XVI, passed away today at 9:34 in the Mater Ecclesiae Monastery in the Vatican,” the Vatican said in a statement early Saturday. No cause of death was provided. "Further information will be provided as soon as possible,” the statement said.

The Vatican said Benedict’s remains would be on public display in St. Peter’s Basilica starting Monday, with his funeral to be held on Thursday, Jan. 5 in St. Peter's Square.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 09:21:49 AM »

I am not a Catholic but I have a deep respect for this man; not the least for choosing to resign when he grew too old to do the job.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Morpheus, the unwoke.
Bad Movie Lover

I am a Bill Maher Democrat. Deal with it.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 01:48:37 AM »

I'm not catholic but was glad to see Benedict replaced by a far better man, imo, so I commend him for retiring, which was a historical move.

They will come back, come back again, As long as the red earth rolls. He never wasted a leaf or a tree. Do you think he would squander souls?” ― Ruyard Kipling

We all come from the goddess and to her we shall return, like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 07:06:57 PM »

I am Catholic, so this was kind of sad to hear about.  I do like our current pope more-but still.  I didn't hate him, but I'm kind of glad he stepped down.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 11:45:49 PM »

I've heard it snidely suggested he may well be remembered as the last Catholic Pope.

I also saw a roundtable discussion about him on EWTN last night and those who knew him said in private he was the gentlest and kindest of men, so apparently he primarily came off as "God's Rottweiler" in the eyes of those who opposed him.

I think there was integrity in his decision to resign his office, and I missed him, because in terms of pure intellect I suspect he was likely the most intelligent, scholarly pontiff in centuries. If you've read his writings, there is a depth to them that compares itself to Aquinas. The books of JP2 I had to read in school struck me as more the product of an idealist who felt his way through life emotionally rather than that of a man who surrendered himself up to a purely intellectual approach to the faith, as Benedict surely did. (JP2's  mantra of "Fear Not" seemed almost misleading to me in a world where there's a great deal to be afraid of, and fear was sometimes a wise and motivating reaction.)

However good a man Francis may be, I think a great deal of his popularity (which strikes me as much wider than it is deep) may relate to the fact he has been so pliable, when it is not strictly the job of a Pope to bend with the wind. Benedict did not bend with pressure, nor was JP2 famous for doing so.

Anyway, yes, he is gone, peace be with him, and I think history may be kinder to his memory than many alive during his papacy might have suspected.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 06:46:40 AM »

Also played by Anthony Hopkins in The Two Popes (2019) which I can recommend

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 06:40:32 PM »

Rest in Peace, Benedict XVI.  God bless you. 

Long live Pope Francis! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Benedict XVI has died « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.