Main Menu

Converting Video and DVD to mpegs?

Started by Him, May 08, 2007, 08:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Him

I notice on the review portion of this site, there are small mpeg clips of the films that I assume were taken from either a DVD or a VHS copy of the movie. I have some stuff on video that I'd like to convert into mpeg clips. How do you do that? What sort of equipment and software would I need?

StackAttack

in this day of technology it seems it should be easy enough to do what youre asking. if you try a google search you should be able to find out how to do it or at the least some kind of cheap peripheral that can do the job. i did the search and found a few options that cost around one hundred dollars but im sure you could find something cheaper that also works. good luck!

LilCerberus

Most of the folks I've encountered on the web tend to recommend Dazzle or Hauphaug, but I've had better results with AverMedia.

I believe the popular term is "DVC Card" or, & you can find them starting around $40 at OfficeMax, Best Buy, etc.
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

Andrew

Here you go, right from the FAQ:

http://www.badmovies.org/information/faq.html

How did you make the image, video, and sound clips? 

This question does come up often. My current setup is a Dell E1505 laptop, with a Pinnacle Moviebox Plus USB2 capture device. The Moviebox unit comes with editing software, Pinnacle's Studio Plus, that I use to capture and edit the video. To edit the audio clips, I use a Soundblaster Live! USB and the included Wave Studio software. A Pioneer DVL-700 Laserdisc/DVD player, Pioneer VSX-D557 Tuner, and Sony 4-Head Stereo VCR complete the setup. When capturing from DVD or LD, I use the super VHS connector on my Moviebox; VHS tapes are using the standard RCA jacks on the Moviebox. 
Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org

Him