Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:39:53 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 244
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 600821 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2020, 05:59:57 PM »

"Demolition Man" (1993)
A two-fisted, all-guns-blazing 20th century cop (Sylvester Stallone) cryogenically frozen in 1996, is thawed out in the year 2032 when his arch enemy (Wesley Snipes, clearly having the time of his life) resurfaces in the ultra-PC, docile, safe-as-milk California of the future. Bullets fly, cars crash, and things frequently explode as Sly shows the wimpy future cops (incl. a young, cute-as-hell Sandra Bullock) how real police handled crime back in the day.
This elaborate, satirical sci-fi action flick gets a lot of laughs out Stallone's attempts to adjust to the dystopian 21st century, but doesn't hold back when it comes to action sequences, which are still impressive today. One of Sly's better mid-career efforts.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2020, 06:20:16 PM »

"Demolition Man" (1993)
A two-fisted, all-guns-blazing 20th century cop (Sylvester Stallone) cryogenically frozen in 1996, is thawed out in the year 2032 when his arch enemy (Wesley Snipes, clearly having the time of his life) resurfaces in the ultra-PC, docile, safe-as-milk California of the future. Bullets fly, cars crash, and things frequently explode as Sly shows the wimpy future cops (incl. a young, cute-as-hell Sandra Bullock) how real police handled crime back in the day.
This elaborate, satirical sci-fi action flick gets a lot of laughs out Stallone's attempts to adjust to the dystopian 21st century, but doesn't hold back when it comes to action sequences, which are still impressive today. One of Sly's better mid-career efforts.

Given the current toilet paper shortage, I just wish someone would explain to me how to use the three shells!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #212 on: May 10, 2020, 08:29:31 PM »

"The Substitute 4: Failure Is Not an Option" (2001)
Treat Williams' third and final go-round as the avenging educator sends him to an exclusive military academy, where a crazed commandant is recruiting the school's elite cadets for a white-supremacist army.
Treat and the supporting cast do their best, but the action is hampered by the movie's obvious made-for-cable budget restraints.
I guess if you've seen the other 3 "Substitutes," you might as well watch this one to run the table, but otherwise there's no real need to bother with it.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2020, 10:55:12 AM »

PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN (1951): A cruel seductress falls for a ship captain who may in fact be the Flying Dutchman, a sailor cursed to wander the seas forever until he can find a woman willing to die for him to break the curse. A bit too slow-paced and obvious, but it does have James Mason and Ava Gardner and a s**t ton of class. 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »

Given the current toilet paper shortage, I just wish someone would explain to me how to use the three shells!

Maybe they'll explain it in the sequel that Stallone sez is supposedly in development right now... :D

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #215 on: May 12, 2020, 01:00:51 PM »

13 cameras - for once, this prior installment is NOT as a good as the sequel, which avoids all the formality and just gets to the squirm.  3/5
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #216 on: May 12, 2020, 01:04:53 PM »

At The Earths Core. Peter Cushing & Doug Maclure meet Caroline Munro beneath the earth. Campy but enjoyable adventure.

Tales from the Crypt. More Peter Cushing, along with Joan Collins, Ralph Richardson and Nigel Patrick is a set of portmanu stories from Amicus.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2020, 08:56:20 AM »

ASSASSIN 33 A.D. (2020): Muslim extremists use a time machine to go back to 33 A.D. to try to assassinate Jesus; with the encouragement of his Christian girlfriend, an agnostic genius tries to fix the time stream. I wouldn't say its impossible to make a good Christian time travel movie; but I am pretty sure it is impossible to make a good Christian time travel movie that involves strike teams with assault weapons going back to 1st century Judea to kill Jesus. 1.5/5.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2020, 11:56:13 AM »

ASSASSIN 33 A.D. (2020): Muslim extremists use a time machine to go back to 33 A.D. to try to assassinate Jesus; with the encouragement of his Christian girlfriend, an agnostic genius tries to fix the time stream. I wouldn't say its impossible to make a good Christian time travel movie; but I am pretty sure it is impossible to make a good Christian time travel movie that involves strike teams with assault weapons going back to 1st century Judea to kill Jesus. 1.5/5.

This one sounds like a real groaner, but at the same time I'm a bit curious . . .

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2020, 12:31:33 PM »

what would Jesus do...in that situation
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2020, 02:59:07 PM »

This one sounds like a real groaner, but at the same time I'm a bit curious . . .

There are so many problems with it my head is spinning. It's hard to make an action movie with lots of gun battles and still be a "faith based" movie about a pacifist who preached to "love your enemies." The script's solution, I guess, is that Jesus is just fine with automatic weapons as long as you only shoot Muslim terrorists.

Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #221 on: May 14, 2020, 12:56:20 AM »

I'm not qualified to comment on theological points, but given that the death and subsequent resurrection of Jesus is a central tenet of the Christian faith, how does this even make sense? The whole point is that Jesus died for our sins.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #222 on: May 14, 2020, 11:01:26 AM »

"Freejack" (1992)
A 1990s race-car driver (Emilio Estevez) is teleported out of a crash a split second before he would have been killed, and finds himself on the run in the dystopian New York City of 2009 (hah!), where rich elites routinely pluck healthy bodies out of the past to transfer their minds into.

This fast paced, dumb but fun sci-fi action thriller is worth a watch mainly for the stunt casting of Mick Jagger (!) -- he plays a bounty hunter who pursues Estevez's character, with a "What the hell am I doing in this movie? Remind me to fire my agent" look on his face the entire time. Sir Anthony Hopkins, fresh off of his triumphant turn in "Silence of the Lambs," shows up for a quick paycheck playing the film's Big Bad, and Renee "Lethal Weapon Babe" Russo, as Estevez's love interest, doesn't do much besides stand around and pout.

The "virtual reality" special effects were  pretty whiz-bang for the time period, but have aged horribly, and as an added Metal Nerd Bonus, the end credit theme is the Scorpions' "Hit Between the Eyes." A time capsule of early '90s cheesiness!

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #223 on: May 14, 2020, 12:58:33 PM »

MAD MAX (1979)

In a self-destructing world, a vengeful Australian policeman sets out to stop a violent motorcycle gang.

I gotta say, this movie didn't aged well in my eyes. Still, the simple premise works, and the young Mel Gibson does make a good job as the broken interceptor.
My main gripe with it is that it barely feels post apocalyptic and certainly not futuristic. There's zero background for the current state of the world, and nobody seems to have serious issues getting water, fuel, or anything else to be honest. Heck, they even go in a vacation to a beatiful place and have ice cream, wtf.

Entertaining but nowadays it's only good to serve as a trampoline for the sequel. 6/10  Lookingup

MAD MAX II (1981)

In the post-apocalyptic Australian wasteland, a cynical drifter agrees to help a small, gasoline rich community escape a horde of bandits.

This is it, now we're talking. The movie begins with a great introduction about the world and its people, setting the tone just right. Max is clearly defined as a violent but noble wanderer, and the rest of the characters are just amazing, especially the Gyro Captain. The plot is rather bland but enough to keep you entertained, and doesn't try to take itself too seriously, which works great because there's plenty of delicious cheesyness around.

Great movie, and a total classic that spawned a million copycats. 8/10 Thumbup

MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME (1985)

After being exiled from the most advanced town in post apocalyptic Australia, a drifter travels with a group of abandoned children to rebel against the town's queen.

When this movie started I was actually really hooked. The whole idea of Bartertown, the deceiving queen, and the crazy characters was awesome. Master Blaster looked great and everything went flawlessly... until someone lost the script and had to come up with something else, and quick. So it begins Mad Max Meets Peter Pan, and it goes downhill from there, never to recover again.
If you enjoyed the violence and somber tone of the previous movies, get ready to be disappointed with this ridiculous garbage. And please, please tell me something: why would they cast Bruce Spence again for an exactly looking role than MAD MAX II, but changing the character altogether? Are you saying that you have another guy who flies, looks and dress exactly the same, but he's a completely different person? Why would they do that will always be a mystery to me.

Avoid this like the plague, it's a complete disaster. Or just watch until the Thunderdome scene is over, at least you'll enjoy that. 4/10  Thumbdown

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (2015)

In a post-apocalyptic wasteland, a woman rebels against a tyrannical ruler in search for her homeland with the aid of a group of female prisoners, a psychotic worshiper, and a drifter named Max.

I try to avoid reboots but decided to give this one a chance, since, like MAD MAX II, it was made by George Miller. I gotta say, the guy did a great job, although there are some problems with this movie. First, there's no plot. Like, at all. It's not until 60 minutes in, when they meet the biker grannies, when something resembling a plot starts to show, but there's not much else that "they escape from point A, reach point B, and go back to point A". That's right: the first hour is nothing more than a big, huge, crazy car chase.
Along the way we have very little character development, enough for us to care for the characters. Max barely talks, although I think Tom Hardy did a good work trying to emulate Mel Gibson. Charlize Theron kicks ass and she's probably the best of the bunch, honestly the movie would fall apart without her commanding and empathic presence.

One thing I absolutely loved about this movie it's the looks. Every character is completely different, and it tells a story of its own; hell, you could make spinoffs of pretty much everyone involved, even the guitar guy. The rigs are pure badass and the practical effects are amazing; it's only when they use CGI that the movie starts to look like a videogame, like when they go into the thunderstorm.

You'll find plenty of nods to MAD MAX II, like the musical box, Max's broken leg, the failing shotgun, and even the Gyro Captain skull, all which show the love of its creator., and may bring you for a second viewing. A very fun movie, but you'll probably forget about it the following week. 7/10  Thumbup

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #224 on: May 14, 2020, 01:36:34 PM »

The guitar guy actually got a back story.

There are two different back stories for Coma. George's version was Coma lived in an abandoned mine with his mother. He survived eating rodents and drinking water from the sea bed. Immortan Joe came past the mine one day and heard Coma playing guitar. He was taken in and from there rose to the position of bugler, calling everyone to war.

Iota expanded on that: he was a child musical prodigy brought up in a happy environment by his mother, who was a musician herself. Then Coma and his mother were attacked. His mother was dragged away and days later someone dropped her head in Coma's lap. Immortan Joe found Coma clinging to the head of his mother. Joe took him in. There are two different stories about the origin of his mask. The first story notes that Coma made a mask from his mother's face, which he sliced from her skull himself.[1] The second story differs, claiming that Immortan Joe made the mask for him, a battle singer, to "Enact Joe's revenge on the world with his mother's screaming face on."

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 244
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.