Main Menu

Recent Viewings, Part 2

Started by Rev. Powell, February 15, 2020, 10:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Post Apocalyptic Commando Shark.

So the Soviet Union has returned and a nuclear exchange has devastated the world (but somehow left it looking just like it did before), and Soviet troops have landed on American soil, their efforts spearheaded by half man half shark hybrids that look like their heads are made from paper mache. Defending their homeland are a series of middle-aged militiamen who are mostly overweight, and have no idea how to use things like camouflage, or even fire their guns effectively. There was some scientist trying to come up with his own hybrid super soldier and uhm, well I am sure other stuff happened too.

I think this movie was made by a bunch of friends on a zero budget. It has a fun spirit, even if by any standard it isn't very good.
I'll show you ruin
I'll show you heartbreak
I'll show you lonely
A sorrow in darkness

pennywise37

it's hard to believe that Bela was a dramatic actor for a long time before he did Dracula, i wonder how many of his films are missing though anyone know?

Rev. Powell

MST3K: ATTACK OF THE (THE) EYE CREATURES: Catching up on another one I hadn't seen since its original broadcast. The only thing I remembered was the oily drifter in a nightdress who thinks he's the young Jack Benny; turns out, he was the only thing worth remembering. A truly lousy Larry Buchanan monstrosity about space aliens covered in eyes who explode when you shine light on them; even Joel and the bots couldn't help much with this one. 3/5
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

RCMerchant

Quote from: pennywise37 on April 17, 2021, 06:18:05 AM
it's hard to believe that Bela was a dramatic actor for a long time before he did Dracula, i wonder how many of his films are missing though anyone know?

Yeah- I do. Most of his films made by Star from Hungary are lost. His most famous lost film was the German film by FW Murnau (NOSFERATU 1922) version of DR.JEKYLL AND MR.HYDE called DER JANUSKOPF (1920). With Conrad Veidt- who just did the classic CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI (1919).

This was not a bit part. He was second billed. And it was a major production.
Bela played Dr. Jekyll's butler who discovers the truth about his alter ego Mr.Hyde

Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

pennywise37

i dunno how many of his i have seen i'd have to count but i was looking at IMDB months ago and to take a guess and this is only a guess i got the impression by going through the stuff he did back than a lot of it does indeed exist but there are some lost course i dunno if i'm right or if IMDB is right. 

i'd love to see his German stuff of course it would have to be translated as i don't know German at all i wish i did though. there's a lot of his films that are just painful to sit through cause they are so bad i dunno what the worst one is though that i've seen i can't pick cause those i've seen only once but what do you think is his worst?

indianasmith

THE AFTERMATH (1983)  Two astronauts return from a year long space mission to find earth devastated by nuclear war.  They spend their time fighting off cannibal mutants and rescuing pretty girls from a gang leader (Sid Haig) who is murdering all the male survivors and taking their women/kids hostage.  Cheesy and dated but kinda fun; the bad guys were some of the worst shots I've ever seen - they make Imperial storm troopers look like expert marksmen!  4/5
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

Dr. Whom

The Shape of Water (2017)

Finally saw Guillermo Del Toro's homage/critique of classic B-movies. At times a bit self indulgent or on the nose, but very sweet.
"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

pennywise37

i saw that too when it hit video whenever the hell it was and i enjoyed it quite a bit but it was one of those movies you watch only once if i recall. i didn't like it enough to want to buy it though

FatFreddysCat

"Final Destination 5" (2011)
After narrowly surviving a catastrophic bridge collapse, a group of twenty somethings start to meet grisly ends one by one. Eventually they realize that they were all supposed to die on the bridge that day, leading to the usual panicked speeches about "figuring out how to defeat Death's plan!"  
...in other words, there's nothing here that you haven't already seen in the other four "FD" movies, but the special effects are top notch and the elaborate death scenes are as hilariously brutal as ever.
Added bonus, a montage of kills from the entire series plays over the end credits, accompanied by AC/DC's "If You Want Blood." :D
Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

RCMerchant

Quote from: pennywise37 on April 17, 2021, 08:42:10 PM
i dunno how many of his i have seen i'd have to count but i was looking at IMDB months ago and to take a guess and this is only a guess i got the impression by going through the stuff he did back than a lot of it does indeed exist but there are some lost course i dunno if i'm right or if IMDB is right. 

i'd love to see his German stuff of course it would have to be translated as i don't know German at all i wish i did though. there's a lot of his films that are just painful to sit through cause they are so bad i dunno what the worst one is though that i've seen i can't pick cause those i've seen only once but what do you think is his worst?

His worse? I would think BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA (1952)
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

FatFreddysCat

"Haunted Hollywood" aka "The Dead Want Women" (2012)
In the Roaring Twenties a silent film actress, distraught at the end of her career due to "the talkies," kills several of her associates and then herself during a party at her swanky estate. In the present day, a pair of real estate agents tasked with cleaning the house so it can be sold discover that the spirits of those who died there are still hanging around the place... (bwa-ha-ha)
This is a Full Moon Studios movie, so of course it's cheap, silly, poorly acted junk. However, there are a lot of pretty girls in it and they're frequently undressed, therefore I was entertained... even if it was for the wrong reasons.

pennywise37

i haven't seen that one but since i've seen so many bad ones of his i dunno which one is worst, there is one i borrowed from a friend  years ago but i forget which one it was cause it was that forgettable of a film. Final Destination 5 is the only one i haven't seen for some strange reason those are fun movies i think

pacman000

Ford v. Ferrari

Good movie with some cool cars. Don't want to say more to avoid spoilers.

FatFreddysCat

"Heavy Metal" (1981)
A trippy animated anthology flick based on stories from the French science-fiction adult comic magazine (aka Metal Hurlant), all revolving around various creatures' encounters with a source of cosmic evil called the "Loch-Nar."
This cult flick was pretty notorious in its day due to its R-rated depictions of cartoon boobs and gore... which were, of course, its main selling point for '80s teens (the soundtrack, which features heavy hitters like Dio-era Black Sabbath, Sammy Hagar, Stevie Nicks, Devo, and Nazareth also helped), but it hasn't aged all that well. Some segments are better than others and most of the animation is still pretty nice, but overall I liked this flick a lot better back when I first saw it in my college dorm after a few bong hits.

pennywise37

i saw that one and while i loved the soundtrack and the animation but the film i thought was just simply awful