Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:05:25 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why Most Modern Movies Are Terrible « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why Most Modern Movies Are Terrible  (Read 13643 times)
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2021, 04:48:46 PM »

I cut my cable package to just the local channels years ago due to inflation, so I don't know what's big, but I have noticed a few things....

Off the top of my head, no more smoking.....
That means Nick Fury & The Man With No Name are no longer allowed to chomp on their cigars & cigarillos while kicking @$$ anymore....

Another thing, is that everything needs to have a token LGBTQ....
So token, that often, the audience needs to be made aware that they're LGBTQ, with the character getting token scenes & token dialog...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2021, 05:00:19 PM »

^ I have not seen that happen.
Are you just imagining this will happen?  Question
Do you smoke? If not, why do you care?
I smoke, pot and tobacco, and if they took Clint smoking a cigar out, gee- I would watch my old vhs, so I could watch him smoke, I guess.  But I don't see Clint making many more  movies, and I don't recall that many Nick Fury movies where he is smoking a cigar. Comic books, yes.
Is all this bulls**t that important? Who gives a f**k?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 05:15:39 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2021, 05:08:15 PM »

Are you just imagining this will happen?  Question

No, I see it on a lot of TV shows based on comic books.........

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2021, 05:16:23 PM »

Are you just imagining this will happen?  Question

No, I see it on a lot of TV shows based on comic books.........

Well, that explains a lot.  Question

You said 'no". So you never seen it happen except some  superhero TV shows.
C'mon, man. You can do better than that.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 05:23:55 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2021, 07:50:04 AM »

I cut my cable package to just the local channels years ago due to inflation, so I don't know what's big, but I have noticed a few things....

Off the top of my head, no more smoking.....
That means Nick Fury & The Man With No Name are no longer allowed to chomp on their cigars & cigarillos while kicking @$$ anymore....

Another thing, is that everything needs to have a token LGBTQ....
So token, that often, the audience needs to be made aware that they're LGBTQ, with the character getting token scenes & token dialog...

Usually in modern movies only "evil" characters smoke, if you pay attention. In my opinion, it's a rather pathetic attempt to discourage the habit, to be honest, but hey, what can you do about it.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2021, 08:42:03 AM »

About the Disney Star Wars movies, according to this article, the franchise has made so far $1.8 billion in profits:

https://observer.com/2020/08/star-wars-gross-profit-earnings-disney-box-office/

but the studio spent $4 billion to buy the franchise.

There's another problem:

I think the budgets don't include marketing, which can reach up to $100 billion for each movie. For example, the marketing cost for the first movie was $175 billion.

Second, I think the box office receipts are halved given the cut for distributors and theater owners. There are more details here:

https://stephenfollows.com/how-movies-make-money-hollywood-blockbusters/

That means a movie has to make at least 2.5 times its production budget just to break even. And in this case the profits have to cover more of the $4 billion paid for the franchise until investors start getting a return.

In addition, there appears to be growing dissatisfaction with the franchise as seen in sales, for example, for merchandise for the sequel trilogy characters. And revenues appear to be going through a downward trend for each movie.

This might explain why they are now giving more attention to TV shows, but those appear to face similar issues. For example, I recall that for another franchise, Star Trek, Discovery costs per season as much as a Hollywood tent-pole flick, and I hear that it might be cancelled because fans are also turned off by its emphasis on "wokeness." And viewers tend to subscribe for a few dollars to binge-view one season for a month, and then unsubscribe.

One more thing: it appears that one reason why not just studios but various companies focus on it is not because they believe in the stuff but because it increases their ESG (environmental, social, and governance) scorecard, and thus allows them to attract more investors.

jimpickens
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2021, 04:04:52 AM »

Very few are willing to take risks I mean if NC-17 existed in the 70's and 80's quite a few directors would've took advantage of it unlike todays directors.
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2021, 07:13:47 AM »

Very few are willing to take risks I mean if NC-17 existed in the 70's and 80's quite a few directors would've took advantage of it unlike todays directors.

They had the X-rating back in those days. For example, Scarface (1983) was going to be an X-rated movie in its original form unless the director Brian DePalma opted to tone down or cut out the bathtub chainsaw scene along with the plethora of F-bombs used in the movie. DePalma cleaned it up a bit and resubmitted the movie to the MPAA a few times, but they still weren't satisfied with the amount of violence and cuss words in the film and retained the X-rating. Finally, DePalma just got fed up and submitted the movie to the MPAA in its original format, and for whatever reason the MPAA approved it for the R-rating that it still has today. Later on, when asked if there would ever be a "director's cut" of the film, DePalma said that the version that we got is the "director's cut" because of the whole MPAA fiasco.  Cheers

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2021, 10:35:22 AM »

Because they rely too much on F/X, unreal action scenes, and pretty stars instead of a solid story and good acting.

They feel like fast food. You eat the s**t, it fills you up for awhile, but not a memorable meal.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 11:14:55 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2021, 09:46:27 PM »

there are modern movies which are awesome

there are older movies which are awesome

there are also modern movies which are terrible

there are also older movies which are terrible

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
pacman000
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2021, 09:29:25 AM »

The question is what proportion of each are awesome & terrible.

And I'm not sure that question really has an answer. What is an awesome film? What makes a movie good? Dramatic conventions change over time; it's possible people who say modern movies are terrible are just pining for old conventions which most others find passé today.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2021, 10:55:23 AM »

I agree. A lot of the horror groups I am in seem to argue endlessly whether slower paced films like Hereditary and Midsummer are good or crap and the arguments can get quite heated. If you enjoy them, then watch them, if you don't like them, then don't watch 'em. I don't understand the endless debate on them.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2021, 09:49:46 PM »

"Why Modern Movies Suck - They're Written By Children"

By Critical Drinker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ92cggLMx8

Some points:

In the past, writers could come up with very complex characterization, which when combined with very good dialogue led to excellent storytelling. This has been recently replaced with shouting and fighting.

Characters were also diverse but consistent. This has been replaced by characters acting like teenagers, with diversity that's only superficial.

Finally, it was mentioned briefly here but emphasized in other videos, that spectacle was used only to heighten parts of storytelling, and characterization drove action. Now, it's mostly action (and sometimes senseless) and spectacle, such that too much of both makes movies ironically banal.

The biggest tragedy about all this is that the solution to these problems is also the cheapest: work on better writing.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why Most Modern Movies Are Terrible « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.