Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:58:44 AM
714431 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Alfred Hitchcock « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alfred Hitchcock  (Read 923 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: December 03, 2023, 01:23:25 PM »

Your thoughts?
I just rewatched PSYCHO (1960) and the BIRDS (1963) again last night, and am always amazed.
Other films of his I love are NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959), VERTIGO (1958), and the 1933 version of the MAN WHO KNEW TO MUCH- with Peter Lorre.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 01:39:01 PM »

PSYCHO is a masterpiece.

FRENZY is solid.

call me an uncultured toe-rag but I'm actually not that fussed about anything else he's done.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 01:49:40 PM »

Great filmmaker but not so great as a person, I believe: he almost ruined Tippi Hedren's career after The Birds as she wouldn't sleep with him.

My faves: Psycho, The Birds and Vertigo.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 02:25:40 PM »

I enjoy his more popular movies. I'm not very familiar with his earlier works. Furthermore, I didn't care much for Family Plot (1976).

Is it October yet?
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 03:40:24 PM »

I watched quite a few of his movies and enjoyed most of them. PSYCHO is insanely good, definitely his best in my opinion. I tried VERTIGO and it bored me to tears, an awful experience and honestly it doesn't make much sense in more than one part. NORTH BY NORTHWEST and REAR WINDOW were really fun and engaging too, great stuff.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 03:50:37 PM »

Great filmmaker but not so great as a person, I believe: he almost ruined Tippi Hedren's career after The Birds as she wouldn't sleep with him.

I'm convinced I read about a child actor (speaking as an adult)  who said Hitchcock threatened to bury him alive (or something) if he messed up his lines, and the kid was traumatised... but it was worse than that. possibly Hitchcock holding a knife to them? trying to find any references to it but can't... I'm sure it was Hitchcock

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2023, 04:37:42 PM »

David Niven told a funny story about the arrivals of celebrities at a film festival and the announcer was getting more and more excited and then, Hitchcock's car arrived.

Announcer: "Mr Alfred Hitchcar's cock has arrived!"  Buggedout Wink Wink

Incidentally, he came to South Africa to do a location scout for a film in 1956.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023, 05:16:01 PM »

I really like everything that Hitchcock has directed that I've seen.... except Vertigo

depending on the day either I love it or find it incredibly boring and dull for some reason  Question

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2023, 10:49:03 PM »

HITCHCOCK is so important, they've given his name to his style. 

SHADOW OF A DOUBT is typically overlooked and easily my own favorite, except for REAR WINDOW which is so wonderfully contrived, that might be his overall best. 
PSYCHO (however) is a landmark and changed cinema forever.  Very few movies have had that kind of impact. 

VERTIGO is the perplexing one, his most personal, probably loved by me because it is 1) implausible and 2) boring.  BERNARD HERRMANN's score is astounding. 

THE BIRDS is great; I'm bored with it, alright?   TeddyR

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 11:10:45 PM »

Of his I did not like- FRENZY (1972) and FAMILY PLOT (1976), which bored me.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2023, 11:19:42 AM »

I've watched and enjoyed all of Hitchcock's most popular movies multiple times. Over the past year I've been picking up blu-rays of some of his lesser-known movies like Number 17, Blackmail, Murder! and The Paradine Case. They all have at least minor flashes of brilliance.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2023, 04:42:48 PM »

Agreed w/ the comment(s) above: about all of his films having something good about them; about many of them either being a little boring (in spite of their quality) or maybe just being played-out and boring to jaded film nerds like myself; and about SHADOW OF A DOUBT being a stand-out. It doesn't get the laurels of so many of his more famous films, and perhaps because of that it retains a lot of charm for me. Superb performances, even from the bit players in that one.

I tend to find more interest these days in the underloved Hitchcocks. I watched TOPAZ for the first time a few years ago and, overlong and flawed though it is, I found a lot to like about it. Among the most famous ones, I'd say NORTH BY NORTHWEST is the one I can revisit most happily. REAR WINDOW is a very nice film w/ one shortcoming that always irritates me: Jimmy Stewart has way more chemistry w/ Thelma Ritter than he's got w/ mannequin-esque Grace Kelly!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Alfred Hitchcock « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.