Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 01:18:22 PM
715299 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 252
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 624278 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2805 on: May 13, 2023, 09:47:13 PM »

QUEST FOR THE UNICORN (2018) - An interesting freebie on Prime.  A buxom blonde prisoner of some weird cannibal tribe escapes her captors and then heads deeper into their territory in search of a mythical unicorn that she keeps seeing in her dreams.  Along the way she rescues a thief and a warrior, who help her in the quest as the cannibal queen leads her minions to hunt them down.  A surprisingly serious film for such a silly premise; the main stars are attractive, there is some pretty graphic violence and a tad of nudity to spice things up.  It was quite a bit better than I expected, honestly. 4/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2806 on: May 13, 2023, 10:26:37 PM »

THE MADS ARE BACK: TEENAGE ZOMBIES: Wow, what a turkey. A Jerry Warren film from the 50s in which nothing happens. There's maybe 10 minutes of plot padded to 70 minutes. Even the jokes couldn't make this one work. The Q&A, with a comedienne I'd never heard of, was pleasant enough. Not a recommended episode, however. 2.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #2807 on: May 14, 2023, 04:39:00 AM »

The wolf house/la casa lobo (2018)

An experimental Chilean animated feature inspired by a case of child abuse in a German closed community/cult in South Chile. It is also supposed to be a commentary on Pinochet.

I found out the above by googling, because the movie is completely opaque. Not since Primer have I seen a movie that so stubbornly refuses to explain anything at all. It does have a very nightmarish quality, with jittery stop motion animation of things constantly transmogrifying into other things. The language switches constantly from Spanish to German for no reason I could discover. Worth seeing as a visual experience.

Critics seem to love it, but I guess they read the press release beforehand.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2808 on: May 14, 2023, 05:07:23 AM »

Renfield.

A fairly fun spin on the Dracula story. Easy to overanalyze but just tell your brain to shut up and enjoy the movie. I especially liked the blank and white call back to the universal movies. Nic Cage is clearly having a blast in the role.

The teeth struck me as an odd choice though.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 05:10:22 AM by Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2809 on: May 14, 2023, 08:09:00 AM »

THE MADS ARE BACK: TEENAGE ZOMBIES: Wow, what a turkey. A Jerry Warren film from the 50s in which nothing happens. There's maybe 10 minutes of plot padded to 70 minutes.

I saw TZ once over a decade ago, was inclined to agree w/ you, then watched it again maybe 5-6 years (why?! I admit I used to drink a bit...) and it - grew on me? Low-billed Nan Green plays the perky, resourceful brunette Dotty (the only female member of the gang not to get captured and zombified) w/ such focus, initiative, and spunk that I spent most of the running time studying her and reflecting on how a dummy like Jerry Warren somehow ends up casting a real, trained (or innately gifted) actor and then doesn't seize the opportunity by inventing more stuff for her to do, thus improving his lame movie... or ever casting her again! Meanwhile he cast cheerfully inept and perpetually spaced out Katherine Victor (apparently not his mistress, though who knows) as the lead in almost all his movies.

I also dig the dopey gorilla. And that big fight scene (err, wrestling match?) at the end is in a class all its own per ineptitude.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2810 on: May 14, 2023, 08:45:56 AM »

The wolf house/la casa lobo (2018)

An experimental Chilean animated feature inspired by a case of child abuse in a German closed community/cult in South Chile. It is also supposed to be a commentary on Pinochet.

I found out the above by googling, because the movie is completely opaque. Not since Primer have I seen a movie that so stubbornly refuses to explain anything at all. It does have a very nightmarish quality, with jittery stop motion animation of things constantly transmogrifying into other things. The language switches constantly from Spanish to German for no reason I could discover. Worth seeing as a visual experience.

Critics seem to love it, but I guess they read the press release beforehand.

I loved it! I learned some of the background beforehand, but I don't think you need to know anything more than is given in the short prologue. Girl is in abusive cult, girl flees abusive cult, ends up in fairy tale nightmare. Visuals are astounding.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2811 on: May 14, 2023, 12:03:29 PM »

"The Bourne Supremacy" (2004)
Second film in the "Bourne" series sees the amnesiac super-agent (Matt Damon) hiding out in India, still trying to get his head together. Naturally, the shadowy government agency that he used to work for aren't going to leave him alone, and this time they're even trying to pin an assassination on him that he didn't commit. Once again, there's lots of globe trotting action (the car chase through the streets of Moscow is amazing!) and narrow escapes. Gritty, realistic spy-and-counterspy stuff; these films definitely had a major influence on the Daniel Craig era of 007.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2812 on: May 14, 2023, 10:01:17 PM »

"American Psycho 2: All American Girl" (2002)
A college criminology student (Mila Kunis) - who also happens to be the only survivor of Patrick Bateman's murderous rampage - has her eye on a prestigious teaching assistant position on campus and will do anything to get it, including murdering her competition for the job.
... this direct to video pseudo-sequel to Christian Bale's 2000 cult hit apparently started out as a stand-alone film with no connection to "American Psycho," before some last minute re-shoots and a new prologue were added in order to tie it into "A.P." It didn't help. Without the "Psycho" branding, this is just another cheap, post-Scream campus slasher flick. Skip it unless you're an obsessed Mila Kunis fan, or you want to see proof of how far William Shatner's career had slid by the early 2000s.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #2813 on: May 15, 2023, 01:11:28 AM »

I loved it! I learned some of the background beforehand, but I don't think you need to know anything more than is given in the short prologue. Girl is in abusive cult, girl flees abusive cult, ends up in fairy tale nightmare. Visuals are astounding.

Well, I must admit that most of the time I had no clue what was going on. At one point I was wondering whether this would turn into a weird retelling of the three little pigs, with Maria being revealed as the third pig that had escaped. That being said, what it lacks in plot, it largely makes up for in atmosphere.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2814 on: May 15, 2023, 06:28:07 AM »

"American Psycho 2: All American Girl" (2002)
A college criminology student (Mila Kunis) - who also happens to be the only survivor of Patrick Bateman's murderous rampage - has her eye on a prestigious teaching assistant position on campus and will do anything to get it, including murdering her competition for the job.
... this direct to video pseudo-sequel to Christian Bale's 2000 cult hit apparently started out as a stand-alone film with no connection to "American Psycho," before some last minute re-shoots and a new prologue were added in order to tie it into "A.P." It didn't help.

It certainly didn't help motivate ME to watch this - one of the handful of films I've rejected sight unseen on the basis of premise rather than director or lead actor. I feel like the historical record demands that there can be no literal "only survivor of Patrick Bateman's murderous rampage" as, strictly speaking, everyone on MovieEarth (and NovelEarth) is a "survivor of Patrick Bateman's murderous rampage", as

***SPOILER***
Patrick Batemam is a pathetic delusional man who never actually kills anyone
***END SPOILER***

...Amused that the producers of ALL-AMERICAN GIRL bothered to retrofit their unrelated film as a sequel to AMERICAN PSYCHO w/o bothering to read or watch the source material. Not amused enough to endure the "sequel", however!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2815 on: May 15, 2023, 08:46:49 AM »

LINOLEUM (2022): When a rocket crashes in his backyard, failed children's TV-show host and astronomer Cameron (Jim Gaffigan) decides to rebuild it; meanwhile, a lot of other strange things are happening in town, like the appearance of his doppelganger and a strange old woman who appears and stares at him. The movie almost seems to bite off more than it can chew, following not only Cameron but also his wife's career struggles, his daughter's burgeoning romance with the new kid in town, and his dementia-ridden father; a (guessable) plot twist ties everything up tidily. 3/5.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2816 on: May 15, 2023, 10:11:09 AM »

Unicorn Wars.

Teddy bears are at war with unicorns in a film filled with blood and teddy bear penises. Seriously, I had never realised that I never wanted to see teddy bear genitalia until I saw them in this film. Anyway, lots of religious allegory stop this film being as fun as it could have been. I was expecting something closer to South Park than Full Metal Jacket.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2817 on: May 15, 2023, 11:00:33 AM »

Winnie the Pooh: Bloody & Honey.

In the 80s or 90s this would have been an acceptable average slasher, doubtless pushed into the realm of a classic just because of the idea of turning beloved childhood icons into murderers.For something made today, it's a bit sub-par. The kills aren't innovative, the effects are passable. The only thing it has going for it to make it stand out in any way is the furor over the IP. Acting is poor and the killers could be any two guys in masks. The director is going to be at a Horror Convention I am thinking about getting tickets for. I wouldn't make any effort to meet him, but I wouldn't jeer him on the street either.

Shame really. I can see a lot of ways this could have been made much better and achieved much more. It finishes with some quite clear room for a sequel.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2818 on: May 15, 2023, 03:03:01 PM »

Hollywood Stadium Mystery (1938) - I'll just keep watching these things because they're good enough? A boxer dies in the ring and police try to find who did it, with the help of mystery writer played by a relatively attractive lady. As the case heats up, her and the district attorney begin a torrid affair (actually mild flirtation). A hilarious running joke is how they keep making a bet for $5.

about an hour long. Next !

4.35 (for variety) / 5

Commissioner Gordon from the Batman TV show is the DA

« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 03:16:52 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2819 on: May 15, 2023, 04:35:26 PM »

Infinity Pool.

Another film that could have been so much more than it was. I'd have concentrated more on the lead character's reaction to the decision he made (trying to avoid spoilers), but this is the Cronenberg bloodline we are talking about here, so it gets the sexualised and violent treatment instead. I found the end of the movie unsatisfying. It wasn't bad, but I doubt I'd get enough interest in it to watch it again. It does seem though at the moment, if you are interested on horror that it is impossible to avoid hearing about Mia Goth at the moment.

Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 252
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.