Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:52:04 AM
715257 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  horror remakes: the okay, the bad, and the terrible « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: horror remakes: the okay, the bad, and the terrible  (Read 1933 times)
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2024, 04:10:32 PM »

I try to refrain from being redundant - again, I agree w/ a lot of the sentiments on here, more or less - but THE OMEN remake deserves some mention. I like the original a lot and agree that the remake is pretty pointless....... except I adore Liev Schreiber and David Thewlis, and (not to say a bad word about either Gregory Peck nor David Warner) just having Schreiber and Thewlis fill the original roles made it worthwhile for me.

On the other hand, the remake of SISTERS was completely appalling.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2024, 05:05:20 PM »

The remake of SUSPIRIA bored the crap out of me.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2024, 05:27:16 PM »

....... except I adore Liev Schreiber and David Thewlis, and (not to say a bad word about either Gregory Peck nor David Warner) just having Schreiber and Thewlis fill the original roles made it worthwhile for me.

fair enough, this is the thing it's totally subjective. I wouldn't want anyone thinking they can't say they personally like X,Y,Z movie for any reason. anything goes... I preferred it to OMEN IV at least.

The remake of SUSPIRIA bored the crap out of me.

yeah I haven't watched it, but I just feel like it's not gonna be my cup of tea based off everything. can't think of a single 'classic era' Argento that could benefit off a remake tbh

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2024, 11:16:24 AM »

Does 13 Ghosts count? It is a remake, but the original version was from 1960. I dug the remake.

Nightmare on Elm Street from like 2010. Overall, lackluster, but I felt Jackie Earle Haley was decent as Freddy. Script was bad.

Psycho from 1998 was awful.

I did like Texas Chainsaw Massacre from 2003. Pretty decent remake.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Cult_Moody_Movies
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2024, 11:01:01 PM »

Best -
1. John Carpenter's The Thing (1982)
2. The Hammer Horror Series - Horror of Dracula (1958), The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) and so on.
3. David Cronenberg's The Fly (1986)
4. Evil Dead (2013) - One of the few modern remakes to make me eat a little crow.
5. Invaders from Mars (1986) - The flaws of the film are only carried over from the original 1950's version.
6. Cape Fear (1991) - I prefer Robert Mitchum's performance but a very competent remake that still holds up well.
8. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - Keanu Reeves's kneecaps the film but once you get over that it's is a fantastic take.
9. The Mummy (1999) - While this film certainly took the fantasy/adventure route over the original Universal and Hammer films it was a fun blockbuster (note very dated CG)
10. House of Wax (1953)

Worst/Overrated -
1. Psycho (1998)
2. Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007) - One of the worst films from the edge lord era of horror.
3. The Haunting (1999)
4. Friday the 13th (2009) - Bland, boring and forgettable. Even for Friday the 13th.
5. Godzilla (1998)
6. The Ring (2002) - I feel this looses a lot of in translation and cultural aspects to the Japanese version. That includes most of the J-Horror remakes of this era. 
7. Peter Jackson's King Kong (2005) - Way too long.
8. The Shining (TV Mini Series 1997)
9. Salem's Lot (TV Mini Series 2004)
10. The Amityville Horror (2005)

I normally steer away from remakes in the rotten area unless REALLY recommended.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2024, 12:53:18 AM »

I'm talking about 2000s era remakes of 70s and 80s horrors... so not, like, THE FLY

3. David Cronenberg's The Fly (1986)

sorry  TeddyR

It is a fantastic film. rewatched it recently, definitely holds up... also like the '91 CAPE FEAR quite a lot. still never seen the original

agree the 2009 F13 was rubbish. did not have the spirit of the 80s ones

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2024, 01:06:01 AM »

Does 13 Ghosts count? It is a remake, but the original version was from 1960.

no, doesn't count... saw it recently, only because Rah Digga is in it and I didn't know she did acting

Nightmare on Elm Street from like 2010. Overall, lackluster, but I felt Jackie Earle Haley was decent as Freddy. Script was bad.

I'm actually not a fan of the original, but even I can see that it's clearly the kind of film that did not need to be remade, because the original did what it did to the utmost.

M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2024, 06:07:45 AM »

>>> saw it recently, only because Rah Digga is in it

Question
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2024, 07:08:09 AM »

Does 13 Ghosts count? It is a remake, but the original version was from 1960.

no, doesn't count... saw it recently, only because Rah Digga is in it and I didn't know she did acting

I'm actually not a fan of the original, but even I can see that it's clearly the kind of film that did not need to be remade, because the original did what it did to the utmost.
The original Elm worked i feel because of Wes Craven and Robert Englund was perfect. I can see how one could not like it

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2024, 09:55:04 AM »

Question

I’m a fan of her music

M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2024, 06:58:24 PM »

Question

I’m a fan of her music

I figured. I wasn't TRYING to be a snarky jerk, and I was vaguely aware that she was a musician... but TBH my only encounter w/ the name or image of "Rah Digga" was wandering into a theatrical screening of THIRTEEN GHOSTS and wondering who the heck "Rah Digga" was that she managed to get billing right behind Tony Shalhoub and F. Murray Abraham. I left that theater still none the wiser, being unimpressed w/ Rah's performance. Then again, it's a nothing comic relief role, and to be additionally fair to Ms. Digga, Oscar winner F. Murray is also terrible in THIRTEEN GHOSTS. (Bizarrely, SCOOBY DOO star Matthew Lilliard gives the film's most committed performance!)

Anyway. By all means, sell me on Rah Digga! Presuming I can only listen to one Rah Digga album - which one should I try?
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2024, 01:32:42 AM »

well... she's a rapper. so if you're not into rap it's not happening (although I can't listen to practically any rap from the last 20 years) . she was also part of Flipmode Squad which was Busta Rhymes's crew, so maybe him being in HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION opened the door for her acting 'career'?

I think she only did 1 album

https://youtu.be/WQvoeRhL21o?si=w7kKiHvfdCo7kBxB

claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2024, 03:14:51 AM »

This made me wonder what her claim to fame is. Her album was released in April 2000. She was in Da Hip Hop Witch, released August 2000 (playing herself), a movie not many have seen. Filming of Thir13en Ghosts began in October 2000. She didn't do another film until 2023 (with only five votes at IMDb).

Her album sold 300,000,00 copies, but none of her singles had chart success.

In the book 'How to Rap' she is listed as "one of hip hop's most skilled female MCs."

I hope this wasn't too snarky. I was only wondering about her.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 03:17:52 AM by claws » Logged

Is it October yet?
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2024, 03:36:59 AM »

not sure she has a 'claim to fame', haha... her career didn't really take off.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2024, 06:29:52 AM »

last night watched the 2006 remake of WHEN A STRANGER CALLS , original from '79

lame acting, fairly lame execution... but the house that most of the film takes place in is amazing. it's worth watching just for this bizarre, dreamlike house!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  horror remakes: the okay, the bad, and the terrible « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.