Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:26:54 PM
715288 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 252
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 624081 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1860 on: March 24, 2022, 01:26:34 PM »

"Toby Dammit" (1968): This is Fellini's 45-minute segment for the anthology film "Spirits of the Dead."  An English actor (Terrence Stamp) is haunted by visions of a young girl with a ball, which drives him to drink. Brought to Italy to receive an honorary award and star in a film, he gets drunk and gets into a Ferrari and drives like a maniac until he comes to a bridge that's out. This is Fellini's only horror movie, but it makes you wish he had made more. 4.5/5.

FELLINI: A DIRECTOR'S NOTEBOOK (1969): An hour-long experimental documentary made by the director while preparing to shoot SATYRICON, it consists of (frequently staged) segments where he visits an abandoned movie set that's been taken over by hippies, creates a scene for Marcello Mastroianni where he plays a cello while his eyes are dilated, and holds screen test for amateurs who are hoping to play extras in his latest film, among other sketches. Fascinating for fans (especially the incredible gallery of eccentrics who show up for Fellini's open casting call); unfortunately, the surviving prints are poor quality. 3/5

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1861 on: March 24, 2022, 01:57:14 PM »

"Toby Dammit" (1968): This is Fellini's 45-minute segment for the anthology film "Spirits of the Dead."  An English actor (Terrence Stamp) is haunted by visions of a young girl with a ball, which drives him to drink. Brought to Italy to receive an honorary award and star in a film, he gets drunk and gets into a Ferrari and drives like a maniac until he comes to a bridge that's out. This is Fellini's only horror movie, but it makes you wish he had made more. 4.5/5.

I seen the whole film. I quite enjoyed it, but the episode with Anita Ekberg as a 50 foot woman is my favorite.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1862 on: March 24, 2022, 02:53:06 PM »

I seen the whole film. I quite enjoyed it, but the episode with Anita Ekberg as a 50 foot woman is my favorite.

That's a different anthology film, BOCACCIO '70. The Anita Ekberg segment was directed by Fellini. I still need to see BOCACCIO '70 to complete my Fellini bingo card.

Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1863 on: March 24, 2022, 10:33:18 PM »

Broken Arrow (1950) - this is a movie I'd been aware of for a long time because of its identical title to the John Woo film.  Suffice to say, way different movie.  But it's pretty good, with a balanced depiction of Apache people.  I found the intentional choice where all the dialogue that would be in Apache is simply in English to be an interesting one too.  It helped them avoid stereotypes of the time.  Jeff Chandler as Cochise got an Oscar nom, and it's a good performance.  Jimmy Stewart is good, though the romance subplot feels a bit off.  A pretty solid Western.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1864 on: March 25, 2022, 09:58:49 AM »

PERIOD PIECE (2006): Made for about $10, this absurdity interweaves several obscene stories, highlighted by the repeated molestation of a teddy bear and a naked old man trying to hack off the head from a pig's corpse while he screams insults. Unforgettable, but for all the wrong reasons. 1.5/5.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1865 on: March 25, 2022, 01:08:55 PM »

"Toby Dammit" (1968): This is Fellini's 45-minute segment for the anthology film "Spirits of the Dead."  An English actor (Terrence Stamp) is haunted by visions of a young girl with a ball, which drives him to drink. Brought to Italy to receive an honorary award and star in a film, he gets drunk and gets into a Ferrari and drives like a maniac until he comes to a bridge that's out. This is Fellini's only horror movie, but it makes you wish he had made more. 4.5/5.

That's a different anthology film, BOCACCIO '70. The Anita Ekberg segment was directed by Fellini. I still need to see BOCACCIO '70 to complete my Fellini bingo card.

]

OK. I seen SPIRITS OF THE DEAD, because I recall the Toby Dammit episode. Maybe I seen both, and got them mixed up.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #1866 on: March 26, 2022, 04:28:30 AM »

Rim of the World (2019)

The alien invasion has struck and four early teen stereotypes have survived the mayhem by wandering off on summer camp. They now have to get the McGuffin to JPL to save the world, with a very persistent alien monster on their heels.

This is an homage to 80s kids adventure movies and is almost completely by the numbers. Enjoyable for what it is, but forgettable. Midway it briefly turns into a commercial for clothing.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Jim H

« Reply #1867 on: March 26, 2022, 02:23:25 PM »

Wrath of Man - OK Statham revenge flick.  Statham is quite good in the role, but it's limited in range.  The fractured narrative seems a bit much, doesn't really add anything.  It's well-made.  I dunno.  It's alright.  Considerably less action than I expected. 

Shoutout to Paramount Plus for being the technically worst streaming app I've ever used (PS4/5 app, specifically), as I watched this film on it and am watching a couple shows on it.  Here's the list of issues I had.  Subtitles are delayed, out of sync, in every show.  Subtitles are ugly and distracting.  The app forgets you're logged in, so you have to login EVERY DAY.  Fast forward and reverse don't show a preview, and on TV shows do not work at all - if you fast forward or reverse, it will break and you have to start the episode over - and you can't fast forward to where you were. 

Also, it abruptly cuts off the last 30 seconds to a minute of many things.  This includes movies, as it's trying to cut back when the credits start, but it's always early so you just miss the very end of the film.  If you resume the movie and try to fast forward past the "break" point, it'll break the stream.  You literally can't see the end of some movies on the PS4 app.  It is appallingly, bafflingly bad. 

On the plus side, it's better on PC, with most of these issues resolved.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1868 on: March 26, 2022, 05:46:41 PM »

THE WIZARD OF OZ: RFIFFTRAX: OZ is a classic that Rifftrrax jokes could neither improve, nor detract from. I got a few laughs, but basically it was a minor novelty and a fun excuse to travel the yellow brick road again. Still 5/5.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1869 on: March 26, 2022, 10:53:35 PM »

FREE GUY (2021) - An NPC in an online shooter game becomes self-aware, and falls in love with a human player - who happens to be the designer of the original game, whose code was stolen to make the game he lives in.  He has to help her find an isolated piece of code showing the original game's build, so she can prove the theft and get her intellectual property back.  A fun fantasy romp with Ryan Reynolds as Guy, an everyman NPC who becomes an unlikely hero.  5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #1870 on: March 26, 2022, 10:59:12 PM »

West Side Story (2021) - I've actually never seen the original, but ended up seeing the remake today.  I'm not really sure what I think.  It's well-made and well-performed, very good dance choreography, often visually very strong too.  But, I dunno, I didn't really like most of the songs in it, the love story is very thin, and it's long and feels it.  I think I'd rather have just seen a really nice version of Romeo and Juliet again.  
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #1871 on: March 27, 2022, 04:35:04 AM »

Monsieur Verdoux (1947)

The one Chaplin movie where he is cast completely against type as a suave and extremely well dressed Bluebeard serial killer. He is absolutely delightful as the loving father and husband and friend to stray cats who simply happens to be a ruthless and efficient killer. In the last third, there is some slapstick and vaudeville, whether to lighten the mood or out of force of habit, I can't tell. For me, this weakens rather than strengthens the dark comedy.

On a side note, I wonder whether the character of Verdoux was the inspiration for Mayor Wilkins in Buffy. They have the same kind of cheerful friendliness coupled with cunning and ruthlessness.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1872 on: March 27, 2022, 09:20:24 AM »

"Ghostbusters: Afterlife" (2021)
The estranged family of the late Dr. Egon Spengler inherits his run-down farm property in the middle of nowhere, Oklahoma. When his grandchildren start poking around his old laboratory and discover his Ghostbusting gear, they learn why he'd moved to this remote location in the first place -- because it's about to become Ground Zero for the second coming of the dreaded Gozer (the big bad from the O.G. 'Busters movie).
Jason Reitman (son of the original film's director, Ivan) attempts to bring the franchise back from the brink after the disastrous 2016 all-female remake, and the results are good, but not great. It gets off to a very slow, unexpectedly melancholy start but the total fan-service second half is great fun, with lots of action, old school zapping-and-blasting creature effects, and a welcome visit from some old friends. Better than expected.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1873 on: March 27, 2022, 09:30:56 AM »

"Ghostbusters: Afterlife" (2021)
after the disastrous 2016 all-female remake

Calling that pile of poo disastrous is being kind to it.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #1874 on: March 27, 2022, 05:59:28 PM »

The Lost City. (2022) An archeologist turned  romance novelist  gets kidnapped because the main villain thinks she can lead him to a lost treasure.  Her novels cover model tries to save her. Better than a bad movie, but not good enough to be called a good movie.  Some good performances brought down by what can be called moder humor

The Beast with Five Fingers  Really good old fashion horror movie that,  for me at least, was almost brought down by its very ending.  Its seems the director couldn't decide which gag to go out on so he put both in the film.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 252
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.