Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:32:14 PM
715248 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Greasers Palace « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Greasers Palace  (Read 56597 times)
Gregg S
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

I first saw this movie back in 1990 and it has been my favorite ever since.  As stated earlier...the reviewer has completely understated how bizzare it is.

If you watch this movie, you will either hate it with a passion or love, love, love it!

I suggest finding it...if you can.
Steve S.
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Saw this movie when it came out and didn't understand it any better then, but it is truly entertaining.  I must study the Bible when I get a minute. Is stingeree a Biblical term? Found the film at Netflix.
Jadeh
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Bravo regularly shows this movie. I didn't recognize it from it's title unti lI saw the picture of Jessy.
Alex Dominguez
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Ya saw it on Bravo few years ago and was hooked. I realy like the abstract plot, that in my view pays homage to the
magic and fresh outlook that Christ gave to all the backward
people in the holy land.
Toby
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I taped greasers from the independent film channel years ago and made the guys at the shop watch it recently.  Laugh is an understatement.  Will have to get dvd for permanent video library. Another great flic is "Strozek" about a mans tough life in the US after leaving Berlin, subtitled but pretty damn funny.
mkhall
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I just finished watching this without benefit of your review ahead of time. You get major kudos for stringing together a quasi-plausible interpretation of the film, and making it funny as hell. I enjoyed the film, in a "what did I just do to my higher brain functions?" kind of way; your review let me know I'm not alone.
Nathan
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The following is a dead straight, true story about how I met my wife and this movie.

OK, the year is 1973 and I am a Physics student in Atlanta. Beard, broke, no money.  A single, hairy, dateless male was in fact de facto at Georgia Tech where females were under 10% of the populace. Today, there are lots of female students, but many of them are also single and hairy.

Back to 1973. I was (as per ususal) dead broke. Hanging around the Commons in AREA III we could see guys dropping off/picking up dates one Friday night. I saw a very cute girl driving up who I had seen earlier and (as it was 11:15). Easy to recognize as there were about five girsl who fit this description.  I bet another dateless loser colleague that she would not kiss her date good night. One dollar. Unfamiliar with dating rituals, said loser assumed that girls always kissed their dates good night. Purely a theoretical observation on his part. He accepted my wager and lost. In a confident mood, I said "double or nothing she will go out with me." "When?" he asks. "Now" I say and he accepts again. To our mutual surprise, she does accept; I get my two dollars and we head over to the midnight movie. hard for modern man to imagine but the Midnight Movie cost a dollar. The movie was "Greaser's Palace" (with, as I recall, "Bambi meets Godzilla" as an opening pre-movie). I am glad she didn't want popcorn as I was broke.

It was a weird movie for sure. No reviews can quite prepare you for it. But if you are still reading it isn;t because you wanted movie insights, but rather to hear the rest of my story. We later married (1976), had six children and are in the "living happily ever after" format. You know, big house in the burbs, nice cars and vacations in Europe.

A few years ago, one of my daughters sent me the DVD. I decided to see it again before any of my kids (or sposal unit) watched it. This is not a movie for my kids. Not for me or my wife either. Maybe it is for you. But it served its purpose.

Rick
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Saw the film on HBO, it seems like a century ago and have been quoting lines ever since.  A personal must see movie at least once a year just to stay grounded in it.  My favorite line is The Holy Ghost confronting GTF with the lament of every non-favored sibling, "You'll never know what I can do because you never give me the chance."  Instead of "Seaweedhead" I've always heard it as "See, Weedhead".  That makes more sense to me but I suppose I'd have to have access to the script in order to resolve what goes against popular interpretation. Don't miss this one.  
CaffeineJunkie
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 11:34:04 AM »

You seemed a bit confused by Jessy, the Jesus satire, suffering from stigmata.  I think the purpose of that scene is that when he tried to do positive things to entertain people (card tricks, singing and dancing, water to wine, etc.) nobody cared.  But when he starts screaming and bleeding, everybody applauds.  The point is that to most Christians, the greatest thing Jesus ever did was to DIE.  Not all the love and peace crap.  
raymonAnderson
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 10:37:38 AM »

Did you notice when God killed someone they stayed dead.
CarlosPC
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2007, 01:09:20 AM »

Quote from:  link=topic=111782.msg115813#msg115813 date=1002878389
Have you ever seen El Topo? Cause this movie looks like some kinda cheapo parody of that...

YES! It reminded me of El Topo many times. Oh God we all are losing our souls!!!  Wink
Petey Wheatstraw
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 01:29:48 AM »

A good companion piece to William Blatty's Ninth Configuration with Stacey Keach. Though a less cerebral exploration of religion. Bizarre humor, apologetics and random madness. Plus it's hard to ignore the Vietnam war connection between Ninth Config. and Alan Arbus' charachter on MASH.

My favorite Sidney Friedman line from MASH:
Ladies and gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
JoshieB
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 03:57:19 AM »

I'm watching this movie right now on the Turner Classic Movie channel in Vancouver, BC.  The guy just humped the statue.  You have no idea how relieved I am to find a forum that discusses this thing.  (Not that I'm recommending it -- in fact I'm about to pack it in -- but it is totally bizarre.)  Note that the guy who plays Jesse is also in "Putney Swope."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »

I can't agree with all your allegorical interpretations of the movie, Andrew, but man did you hit the nail on the head (so to speak) with the identity of "The Pioneer Woman."  Notice who nails Jesse to the cross at the end; it's fairly controversial when you think about it.

A very bizarre and subtly clever movie.  I liked it but wasn't overwhelmed by it when I first saw it years ago on Bravo, but I appreciated it much more on a second viewing, understanding going in that it was a comedy.  

It's a real shame that this has gone out of print on DVD.  I hope someone rectifies this situation soon.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 03:58:09 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Steven
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 12:57:32 AM »

Greaser = Caeser/Rome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Greasers Palace « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.