Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:17:50 PM
715285 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 252
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 624018 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2445 on: December 22, 2022, 11:49:57 PM »

Brit Marling is creating an interesting body of work
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2446 on: December 23, 2022, 10:32:53 AM »

SR. (2022): Robert Downey, Jr., makes a documentary about his father, maverick underground filmmaker Robert Downey Sr., as he's dying of Parkinsons; simultaneously, the bedridden Sr. can't resist directing his own cut of the film as an absurdist autobiography. A great documentary, simultaneously a tribute to a fascinating and flawed man, a lesson in film history, a real-time illustration of the creative process, and a touching glimpse of a son dealing with the imminent death of his father. On Netflix. 4.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2447 on: December 23, 2022, 10:39:33 PM »

GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY (2022)
I imagine there's already a review of this on here somewhere, though I couldn't find it. Like any good mystery, it's probably best to avoid ANY plot information before watching, thus I will disclose essentially nothing about the plot and just offer some miscellaneous qualitative comments:

If you liked KNIVES OUT, see GLASS ONION.
If you didn't like KNIVES OUT, see GLASS ONION.
If you did not see KNIVES OUT, see GLASS ONION.
In all cases - you get the idea.

I didn't dislike KNIVES OUT, but I didn't think it was up to nearly as much as its reputation might suggest... an idea that GLASS ONION actually seems aware of and sort of alludes to at one point. For one thing, KNIVES OUT would have had us believe that Daniel Craig's Benoit Blanc was a brilliant master detective and the centerpiece of the film, when in fact he was essentially a supporting player in a story about Ana de Armas' character, and not a supremely impressive one imho.

For over an hour, GLASS ONION seems - and this is the most plot-like info I will divulge - like a REAL vehicle for Benoit Blanc, new movie-franchise tentpole superstar. Rian Johnson writes Blanc as much smarter (and funnier) than I remember him from KNIVES OUT, and Daniel Craig seems utterly at home in the character's quirky shoes. In fact, GLASS ONION is an improvement over KNIVES OUT in nearly every way: more clever, fast-paced, well-made, nice to look at, and purely enjoyable than the previous film - and better acted, I think, by a more tight-knit ensemble.

Janelle Monae really impresses in particular - giving off some serious Kerry Washington intensity and intelligence.

Edward Norton is a pleasure - as are his three hairstyles. (The main one makes him look unnervingly a bit like Walken in some shots.)

I'll also mention that there are a parade of surprising cameos throughout the film - even if you're expecting cameos, you'll not likely expect some or most of these. The two folks on the left side of Benoit Blanc's zoom meeting in his first scene shocked me to the core and almost made me cry - just by showing up. The timing of GLASS ONION's release seems... impossibly prescient... and not just in Johnson's selection of celebrity guest appearances. The entire plot, frankly, and one central monologue by Norton particularly feels like Johnson could/should/must have written it sometime in the past month - November-December 2022. Of course he couldn't have. Whether it was luck or just a case of Johnson being really cued into global events that some of us are only starting to worry about in recent days... GLASS ONION goes beyond being fabulously entertaining to feel sort of like the primal scream session that many Americans need right about now.

One more non-spoiler: I watched the trailer a couple weeks ago, immediately regretting it as I felt confident that it revealed most of the major plot elements of the film. In retrospect, I think the trailer's editor does a magnificent job of obfuscating or misrepresenting what happens in GLASS ONION... which of course is exactly what you would want a trailer for a good mystery to do.

Nevertheless, skip the trailer - just see GLASS ONION. (You can always watch the trailer later.)

I won't say "Netflix, all is forgiven", but this is a much better use of my subscription money than THE GREY MAN!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2448 on: December 24, 2022, 08:48:53 AM »

SR. (2022): Robert Downey, Jr., makes a documentary about his father, maverick underground filmmaker Robert Downey Sr., as he's dying of Parkinsons; simultaneously, the bedridden Sr. can't resist directing his own cut of the film as an absurdist autobiography. A great documentary, simultaneously a tribute to a fascinating and flawed man, a lesson in film history, a real-time illustration of the creative process, and a touching glimpse of a son dealing with the imminent death of his father. On Netflix. 4.5/5.

Downey Sr was a great filmmaker but he introduced his young son to drugs: that I cannot condone.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2449 on: December 24, 2022, 09:57:02 AM »

Downey Sr was a great filmmaker but he introduced his young son to drugs: that I cannot condone.

They address it in the doc. Sr. regrets it, Jr. forgives him. It's touching.

M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2450 on: December 24, 2022, 02:48:32 PM »

HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD (1982)
Typical Italian zombie flick. Pretty run of the mill until the end when our heroine gets her tounge ripped out and her eyeballs squeezed out of her head.

As long as we're spoiling the climax (or presuming everyone on here has seen it) - how 'bout the one macho commando who abruptly decides to take advantage of an apparently secure dressing room or boudoir and immediately dons women's clothing (for no reason I could apprehend when I watched it 30 years ago) - AS ONE DOES when one is on special assignment in a third world war zone overrun by zombies....... and then immediately thereafter is surrounded and devoured by the living dead? 'Cause of course he is.

Wow, that Bruno Mattei, man.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2451 on: December 24, 2022, 04:33:56 PM »

MST3K: THE CHRISTMAS DRAGON: The finale of Season 13 features all three hosts (Joel, Jonah and Emily) riffing in shifts on the movie, then all together for the final segment. The movie is a Christmas story told in a medieval fantasy setting---which actually isn't too bad an idea. A reasonable number of chuckles and a final scene that shows Joel and crew apparently escaping---but probably not. 3/5.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #2452 on: December 25, 2022, 01:59:30 AM »

Sigh. I consider it deprivation that I have never been able to get into MST3K like everyone else seems to.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #2453 on: December 25, 2022, 03:51:22 AM »

Glass Onion (2022)

To be honest, I liked Knives Out more. Part of it undoubtedly has to do with living up to expectations. While Knives Out was a spoof of the murder mystery/thriller with an ensemble cast, this is much more the Great Daniel Craig show, and is closer to an episode of Inspector Columbo filmed on an extravagantly lavish scale.

That being said, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. It is delightful and funny, and the whole cast seems to be having a blast, especially Daniel Craig. There are some inventive plot twists that mock the conventions of the genre. Also, extra points to Daniel Craig for wearing a shirt with cocktail cuffs (aka James Bond cuffs) during the final exposition scene. Very enjoyable all round.

As someone who is active in HVAC, however, I do have to point out that hydrogen doesn't work that way.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2454 on: December 25, 2022, 05:34:23 PM »

THE TERRITORY (2022): An indigenous tribe in the Amazon fights back the best they can against colonizers intent on moving into their protected territory and homesteading, while Bolsonaro's government looks the other way. An informative look at the evils of over-development, but unfortunately, not a hopeful one. 3/5.

M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2455 on: December 25, 2022, 07:15:17 PM »

I really liked Sleepaway Camp not just the ending. I didn't care for the Cropsy one whatever it was called. as far as post Friday the 13th camp movies

I'm with you, bro - SLEEPAWAY CAMP is a hoot in its entirety... from the ludicrous fashions to the overwrought performances (in those cases where the performers can be said to be performing). I'm especially fond of "Mel" the loathesome camp owner and most specifically of his unforgettable "Not you, Meg!" big Oscar-reel scene (SPOILERS, naturally):
https://youtu.be/v3gkYHhbzmc?t=24

...My 2nd favorite reaction to discovering a grisly murder scene in film history, right behind Heinz Bennett's spontaneous epileptic fit/blindness at the end of POSSESSION. Not to say SLEEPAWAY CAMP is on the same level as POSSESSION, but.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to those who celebrate and cheers to all others!  Cheers
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2456 on: December 25, 2022, 11:14:31 PM »

CREATURE CABIN (2017) - A low budget Aussie tribute to THE EVIL DEAD, this was a surprisingly enjoyable free offering on Tubi TV.
A rock singer named Oskar loses her job and her boyfriend (and her cat and her sofa) all in one day, so she decides to join her roomate, the roommate's boyfriend, and the boyfriend's hot cousin for a weekend in the woods - not realizing that a cult of undead slaves are trying to raise a demon unicorn from the ground to open the gates of hell, and that she is the chosen sacrifice!  Campy gore and hijinks ensue, lots of silly one-liners.  Bad movie mayhem from start to finish!  4/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2457 on: December 25, 2022, 11:23:47 PM »

aren't all tubi tv offerings free?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2458 on: December 25, 2022, 11:39:44 PM »

aren't all tubi tv offerings free?

Pretty much.  Some of them still make you want your money back!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2459 on: December 26, 2022, 10:20:08 AM »

Bowery at Midnight (1942) - A psychology professor who teaches about criminal behavior has a secret: he himself is a criminal. Bela Lugosi is all too believable as a guy using a soup kitchen as a cover for murder and burglary. I'm still not entirely sold on the concept. I think maybe they could have done the classroom stuff as a flashback. He works all day and all night when does he grade the papers, etc?

Anyway, he gets in some "three's Company" style hijinks when someone from the class wants to do a study at the soup kitchen. Will his whole diabolical plan come crashing down??? Tom Neal from Detour is awesome as one of his many criminal co horts. I have a feeling something was cut somewhere because all the sudden one of the guys I thought was dead was back. or maybe its the fact that everyone dresses the same and has the same haircut. how did people tell each other apart in the old days??? I sure can't do it now

4.5 /5

Glad to see another fan of BOWERY AT MIDNIGHT - it gets too-little love. I think it's quite engaging as the Monogram films go, and as a lifelong Bela megafan I'd place his performance here easily in his top 10 ever. He's highly convincing as a warm-hearted philanthropist (who just happens to also be a criminal mad scientist) yet when the screws start to turn on him, he exhibits some admirable internal conflict before (naturally) turning on those closest to him who've betrayed him.

Lester, your point about all-too-similar looking characters is a fair one - but as you bring it up (SPOILERS) I should acknowledge that Bela has a basement full of murdered and revived killer zombies that play crucially into the denouement. Several players who disappear (were presumably killed) early on can be spotted in the basement during the climax... so life after death in this film is not impossible!  Twirling
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 252
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.