Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:50:57 PM
715285 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 252
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 624017 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2745 on: April 13, 2023, 07:46:33 PM »

"Burn" (2019)
A withdrawn young woman working the graveyard shift at a gas station convenience store has an unusual encounter with an armed robber, and the situation quickly spirals out of control. A decent low budget suspense thriller which goes off in some unexpected directions.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2746 on: April 14, 2023, 01:45:55 PM »

Horror in the High desert 2: Minerva

This was not a success, but it's somehow still watchable. Basically, everyone did their job but the script just doesn't go anywhere. They seem to abandon the titular character Minerva 3/4 of the way through and try for something else. what happened?

If you saw and liked the first one you may want to see this just to re capture some of that vibe, but it's too poorly put together to be scary or memorable.

2.75/5
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 05:06:32 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2747 on: April 15, 2023, 03:00:06 PM »

Epic Tails.

A French animated movie. I got the impression that whoever translated the script didn't have English as their first language as the language was a tad awkward. Terrible songs, but a cute film for kids. Ash seemed to enjoy it.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2748 on: April 15, 2023, 03:46:43 PM »

THE MADS ARE BACK: A NIGHT OF SHORTS XI: Frank and Trace riff four long-ish shorts: a grocery store management guide, a capitalism 101 Lego-type stop motion animation, an industrial musical by General Motors (think "Design for Dreaming"), and a Mylar promotional short by DuPont that was originally riffed by MST3K for a CD-ROM project that got abandoned (and the original somehow lost). The after-show guest is film critic Walter Chaw, who may be the most intellectual guest they've ever had but can still talk about Bert I. Gordon movies with the best of them. This is a funny show that would be a good introduction to the series (most of the shorts compilations make better watches than the movies). 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #2749 on: April 16, 2023, 05:49:23 AM »

Furie/Hai Phuong (2019)

Turns out the movie that was at the basis of Furies/Thanh Soi was also on Netflix, so I had to see it.

Hai Phuong (Veronica Ngo) is an ex gangster who is laying low in the countryside trying to raise her daughter. When her daughter is kidnapped, she goes on a relentless chase to rescue her;

This is a far superior movie to the spinoff/sequel. For one thing, Veronica Ngo is a much better protagonist of a martial arts movie, with many and varied action scenes. Pacing is very tight: she has to rescue her daughter before the villains can get away, so there is an urgency to the action. It is also supremely focused: there is no romance (not even with the handsome police officers who helps her), no side plots, no comic relief, just Veronica Ngo beating up everyone who is standing in her way. And she has to do it alone. When she tries to renew her old contacts in Saigon, everyone is like 'you bailed on us ten years ago, and now you're back, asking for help? Fxxk off', which I thought was a nice twist.

It is what it is, but if you want a tight martial action movie (and a story of persistence in an uncaring universe), well worth watching.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2750 on: April 16, 2023, 08:04:33 AM »

"Cocaine Bear" (2023)
A drug smuggling plane crashes in Tennessee, spilling a payload of cocaine bundles across a national forest. When a black bear laps up the dope it turns into a coked out, jacked up killing machine and a whole bunch of stupid human characters get mangled during its rampage. This tongue-in-cheek horror comedy is loosely based on a true event that happened in 1985. "Cocaine Bear" is certainly not a masterpiece, but it's fast moving, gory, and funny as hell. Two paws up.

"R.I.P.D." (2013)
A recently-deceased Boston cop (Ryan Reynolds) is drafted into an afterlife police force called the Rest In Peace Dept., whose job is to track down criminal souls and dispatch them "downstairs." On his first day on the job, Reynolds and his new partner (Jeff Bridges) stumble across a conspiracy that will allow the Undead to return to Earth, which leads to much blasting and zapping.
Reynolds and Bridges make a good team and the special effects are passable in this way-too-obvious combo of "Men In Black" and "Ghostbusters." Not original in the slightest, but an OK time waster.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2751 on: April 16, 2023, 02:52:02 PM »

found footage movie that was so nondescript I can't remember the title  -  A young woman from California moves to an east coast city and starts having paranormal experiences in her new apartment, while also exhibiting weird behavior. A murder apparently happened there and the spirit is trying to reach her by moving a glass across a table and, surprise surprise, communicating via ouija board. The main actress was well cast but the acting and writing in general isn't too sharp, it's not that scary, and it ultimately doesn't do anything to distinguish itself. Proof: I don't remember what it was called. and yet, I did sit through it

2.75 /5
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 10:15:08 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2752 on: April 16, 2023, 10:57:26 PM »

RENFIELD (2023) - Every bit as awesome as the trailer made it look, maybe better!  My favorite vampire movie since the original FRIGHT NIGHT.
5/5 

GO SEE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2753 on: April 17, 2023, 04:08:05 AM »

^I really want to.  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2754 on: April 18, 2023, 09:54:02 AM »

SOMETHING WEIRD (1967): An electrician develops ESP after an accident with a live wire, turns into a huge jerk, meets a witch, travels to a small town to solve a murder, and takes LSD. With all that going on, H.G. Lewis still makes this incredibly cheap-looking, badly acted film crawl at a snail's pace. True cinema garbage, without any gore or nudity. The only professionally-done part of this mess is the psychedelic guitar score, which the Something Weird video company adopted as its theme song. This movie has "RC Merchant" written all over it! 2/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2755 on: April 18, 2023, 03:44:43 PM »

^ I seen it.  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2756 on: April 22, 2023, 10:09:32 PM »

"South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut" (1999)
The U.S. declares war on Canada due to smutty Canuck comics Terrance & Philip's undue influence on the children of South Park, while Satan and his gay lover Saddam Hussein wait in the wings to take over the world. Can Kyle, Cartman, Stan and the gang save their heroes and stop the apocalypse before it's too late? This feature length cartoon adventure is definitely not for the kiddies, but it is funny as hell.

"Orion: The Man Who Would Be King" (2015)
The strange story of country singer Jimmy Ellis, aka "Orion." After Elvis Presley's death in 1977, some unscrupulous record execs plucked Jimmy from obscurity and parlayed his uncanny vocal resemblance to the King into a series of records and concert tours in which he sported Elvis' jumpsuit and pompadour hair, but hid his face behind a Lone Ranger style mask, leading some fans to believe he really was Elvis reborn. I've seen this guy's records in thrift shops over the years but never knew much about his mostly-sad story until this bizarrely entertaining in-depth doc.

Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #2757 on: April 23, 2023, 08:59:27 AM »

Love after Love (2020)

In the 1930s Hong Kong, a young girl from Shanghai seeks refuge by her aunt. She ends up marrying a playboy to avert scandal, and replaces her aunt as the mistress of an older rich businessman.

This is another one of those slow, meandering beautifully shot stories about the impossibility of meaningful relationships and the influence of mercenary motives on human interaction. There is a lot of indirect narration. Everybody is immensely stylish as well.

Fans of Wong Kar Wai (count me in) will like this. I've seen a number of films from Hong Kong and Taiwan like this, which raises the question: is this really representative of the production over there, or is this just the kind of movie that tends to get distributed in the West?

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2758 on: April 24, 2023, 07:40:45 AM »

"Batman and Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero" (1998)
The villainous Mr. Freeze returns to Gotham City, seeking an organ donor to save his dying wife. As it turns out, Barbara (Batgirl) Gordon is a perfect match...but she won't survive the experience unless the Dynamic Duo can rescue her in time. A cool (pun not intended) feature-length spinoff from Batman: The Animated Series, with lots of cool cartoon action and fine voice work.  

"Batman and Bill" (2017)
For nearly 70 years, every piece of Batman media included the credit line "Batman Created By Bob Kane" -- because Kane screwed over his writing partner and co-creator Bill Finger, who came up with the majority of the Dark Knight mythos, back in the '30s. Bill Finger died penniless in the 1970s while the now-very-wealthy Kane stuck to the myth that he was Batman's sole creator. This documentary follows the grass roots movement by a group of comic historians and Bill's surviving family members to restore Bill's name to the Batman masthead. After years of denials, DC Comics finally did the right thing and as of 2015's "Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice," the creator credit now reads "Batman Created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger." This deep dive into one of the comics industry's most notorious, longest-running controversies is an important history lesson and essential viewing for Bat-fans.

M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2759 on: April 25, 2023, 07:59:50 AM »

Horror in the High desert 2: Minerva

If you saw and liked the first one you may want to see this just to re capture some of that vibe, but it's too poorly put together to be scary or memorable.

Discouraging news! I did like the first one and hoped the filmmakers could progress and achieve something even more impressive the next time around, instead of backsliding.  Bluesad
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 252
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.