Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:17:48 PM
715285 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 252
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 624008 times)
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3315 on: November 18, 2023, 11:43:48 AM »

Yeah, I wasn't exactly bored by FM but I did keep waiting for Ostlund to move the premise in a new/exciting direction and of course that doesn't really happen. I skipped THE SQUARE and wondered if I should go back and watch it. If it's not significantly more involving than TOS, ehh, I'm in no hurry.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3316 on: November 18, 2023, 05:21:42 PM »

Horror at 37,000 Feet (made for TV 1973) - more like horrible at 37,000 feet. Despite the high altitude, this thing never really gets off the ground. The saving grace is all the shots of the cute flight attendants and amazing amount of room and freedom everyone had in the cabin.

The professor from Gilligan's Island and William Shatner (who actually look quite a bit alike on screen) are the big stars. The less big stars are whoever played the weird clown cowboy and the goofy/ fancy talking black guy. There's some sort of Druid thing in the luggage area that causes everything to go haywire, so inebriated Shatner tries to hold everything together and figure out a plan. Buddy Ebsen is the disaster movie guy who is out for himself and is like "Let's sacrifice this cute little girl to it. Maybe that'll work!"

very bottom of the barrel stuff here. I'd stick with Ants (1977) or something if you want campy disaster.

2.5 /5
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 03:56:22 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3317 on: November 18, 2023, 10:46:03 PM »

Been fighting a nasty head cold the past few days, good reason to veg out after work watchin' movies:

"GoldenEye" (1995)
After a six year absence from the screen, James Bond returned in a big way in 1995 with a new man in the tux (Pierce Brosnan) and a new post Cold-War attitude. This time 007 must stop a rogue Russian general who's commandeered a laser weapon satellite. Pierce's first go-round as Bond was his best, and it's one of the better entries in the series overall.

"And Now For Something Completely Different" (1971)
The Monty Python troupe's first theatrical release is essentially a "highlight reel" of the best bits from the first two seasons of their TV show, re-created for the big screen, in an attempt to crossover to the American market. Sketches include favorites like "Upper Class Twit of the Year," "Hell's Grannies," "The Dead Parrot Sketch," "The Lumberjack Song," and more.

"Black Friday" (2021)
Employees at a big-box toy store are prepping for their midnight Black Friday opening when they come under attack by hordes of zombified shoppers, created by alien spores that fell from a meteor. Ultra-violence, splashy gore, and snarky humor ensue. Given that I work in retail, this seemed like a timely viewing pick.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #3318 on: November 19, 2023, 04:26:40 AM »

TRIANGLE OF SADNESS (2022):

I steered clear of this one. For one thing, the Critics Who Understand Movies all thought it was the best thing ever, which rarely does it for me. For another, based on the trailer it seemed to have the subtlety of a herd of elephants.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3319 on: November 19, 2023, 10:09:49 AM »

THEATER CAMP (2023):
Possibly my most serious criticism of this film is that, if it was made by lifelong theatre artists (which apparently it was), then dammit, they should know by now that "theater" is the room where "theatre" happens, thus if your movie was about tweens and teens spending their summer rehearsing plays and musicals, the correct title would be THEATRE CAMP. Hatred Anyway. I've worked in theatre, film, and education for most of life; have run a summer theatre camp for the past 12 years (which is pretty much the best thing I do w/ my idiotic life); and several of my students and colleagues wanted me to go see THEATER (sic) CAMP in an actual movie theater  TongueOut with them last summer. I was too busy running a new second theatre camp to go!

If THEATER CAMP had just one single legitimate laugh in it, I could say it at least had one more laugh than CAMP, the previous indie movie from 20 years back about the same topic. That would be a well-deserved kick to the teeth for 03's miserable CAMP, but fortunately the newer one actually made me laugh at least a dozen or more times (though many of those were in the last 10 or so minutes). There's also a lot of cheaper quasi-improv style clowning that's mostly tolerable-to-pleasant... these filmmakers seem to be taking their cue from WAITING FOR GUFFMAN and WET HOT AMERICAN SUMMER (the original and prequel) as much as anything, though they don't achieve the comedic heights of those films.

THEATRE CAMP is written, directed, produced, composed (!), and headlined by five young-ish musical theatre veterans, none of whom I was familiar w/, though my students seem to idolize them. I did recognize several members of the supporting cast, and of course I caught the ten-second uncredited cameo by Liza Minelli, which I imagine brought movie theater audiences to a standing ovation.  Lookingup All the adults do solid work, though they're naturally shown-up by a a few of the (outstanding) kids. The grand finale of the original musical-within-the-film asks  
Camp isn't home, but is it, kind of?
Kind of it is
I think it kind of is

...Then repeats its chorus several times, unnecessarily, 'cause I was already tearing up after the fist time they sang it. So, you know, reasonably reflective of some people's highly specific reality and nicely done for that.

3.5/5
However if you don't run a summer theatre camp, uh, you could probably pass on this.
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3320 on: November 19, 2023, 11:09:10 AM »

TRIANGLE OF SADNESS (2022):

I steered clear of this one. For one thing, the Critics Who Understand Movies all thought it was the best thing ever, which rarely does it for me. For another, based on the trailer it seemed to have the subtlety of a herd of elephants.

It's a schizophrenic film in that there is indeed a 15-20 minute sequence involving many people vomiting and toilets backing up/flooding the ship w/ brown liquid (while drunk Woody Harrelson debates the efficacy of communism over capitalism w/ a fat drunk old Russian oligarch) but then the most thematically central elements of the film are handled w/ extreme discretion and understatement, which is....... counterintuitive for sure and perhaps just reinforces any conviction to skip the film.  Wink If you already know you won't like TRIANGLE OF SADNESS, you have probably chosen wisely!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3321 on: November 19, 2023, 03:20:30 PM »

OPEN (2023): A middle-aged woman experimenting with an open marriage gets involved with an aging teen idol who was once her schoolgirl crush; she also has dream sequences where she's in an 80s pop band with the rest of the cast. The New Wave music videos are limited in means (one minimal set) and musical ability, but do capture the big hair aesthetic, and lend just enough novelty to make this otherwise predictable indie dramedy watchable. 2.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3322 on: November 20, 2023, 12:00:23 AM »

Weekend double feature:

KILLER BOOK CLUB (2023) - A group of lit majors decide to get revenge on an English professor who tried to rape one of their classmates; the prank gets out of hand and the professor falls to his death.  Now someone is posting a chapter-by-chapter book online describing how each of them will be murdered in turn to avenge his death - and the subject of each chapter disappears just before the chapter is posted online!  Who is killing them, and why?  A decent Netflix horror with a pretty fair twist at the end; a bit reminiscent of SCREAM. 3/5

IN HIS WAK (2023) A group of young people are being stalked by an inhuman creature; a former priest is trying to stop the monster before it can take more innocent lives - or is he?  Bad special effects, decent story, and one of the most gratuitous nude scenes in bad movie history!  Free on Tubi. 3.5/5 

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3323 on: November 20, 2023, 09:46:34 AM »

SCREWDRIVER (2023): After a breakup, a religious young woman goes to visit a high school friend and his wife; her hosts don't want her to leave--ever. It's mostly people talking in a single house, but the acting is pretty good, and the movie generally keeps your interest while only hinting at what is really going on under the surface. 2.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3324 on: November 21, 2023, 10:15:41 AM »

WHERE THE DEVIL ROAMS (2023): A nomadic carnival family--angry mom, blood-shy dad, and mute daughter--is addicted to killing; they come across a Satanic artifact that takes their act to the next level. I was really rooting for this little indie horror because of the Adams family's likeability (mom, dad and daughter make low-budget horrors together--how cool!), and it does have a great setting and good opening and closing scenes, but the majority of the movie is a muddle; the two stories (a homicidal family and an occult curse) are mashed together uncomfortably, with lots of carny downtime thrown in. 2/5.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3325 on: November 21, 2023, 10:23:37 AM »

CREEP (2004)

for the first 30 minutes this is like THE ROOM of horror movies. was expecting Tommy Wiseau to pop up as the villain. so many dumb lines and awkward situations. unfortunately it turns into a generic screamy chasey 'everything happens in pitch darkness' horror movie after a while so the fun stops

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3326 on: November 21, 2023, 10:30:06 AM »

CREEP (2004)

for the first 30 minutes this is like THE ROOM of horror movies. was expecting Tommy Wiseau to pop up as the villain. so many dumb lines and awkward situations. unfortunately it turns into a generic screamy chasey 'everything happens in pitch darkness' horror movie after a while so the fun stops

Is that the one set on the underground, or the one about the photographer?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3327 on: November 21, 2023, 04:28:42 PM »

Started watching some Tom Baker era Doctor Who. First story was a hokey but decent one about a killer robot.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3328 on: November 21, 2023, 04:38:11 PM »

CREEP (2004)

underground.

In terms of 'train' movies it's not touching UNDER SIEGE 2

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3329 on: November 21, 2023, 05:05:08 PM »

CREEP (2004)

underground.

In terms of 'train' movies it's not touching UNDER SIEGE 2

Yeah, saw that one when it came out. I'd agree with your assessment.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 252
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.