Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:04:43 PM
715281 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 252
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 624008 times)
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #3390 on: December 13, 2023, 04:28:08 PM »

The General (1926)

Buster Keaton is a train engineer during the civil war. When a dastardly Union raiding party makes off with his train, while his fiancée is still in it, he goes after them with a determination and bad luck worthy of Wiley E. Coyote.

I was surprised by the scale of the movie. They don't muck about with miniatures, when they want a steam engine crashing from a bridge, they have a steam engine crash from a bridge. When they want battle scenes, they call out the National Guard. Perhaps not as funny as its reputation suggests, but very watchable.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3391 on: December 13, 2023, 04:58:28 PM »

I saw it when it came out and liked it a lot. The "bridge" speech sticks with me. The Big Short (2015) was a similar financial drama that was more entertaing

I actually got them confused and thought the rocket scientist character was Christian Bale for minute.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #3392 on: December 13, 2023, 05:05:25 PM »

"Creem: America's Only Rock Magazine" (2019)
Cool documentary about Creem, the gritty '70s rock magazine who served as the loud mouthed, stoner opposite of the stuffy Rolling Stone. Packed with cool vintage photos and interviews with former staffers as well as fans and readers like Kirk Hammett, Chad Smith (RHCP), Wayne Kramer (MC5), Alice Cooper, and more. By the time I started buying rock mags regularly in the mid 80s, Creem was already on its last legs (it ceased publication in 1989), so I only ever saw a few issues of it, but it sounds like it was a wild ride while it lasted. 

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3393 on: December 13, 2023, 05:06:58 PM »

^ I remember buying CREEM. "Boy Howdy"!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3394 on: December 14, 2023, 01:32:12 PM »

HOUSE (1977) Perhaps the most insane Japanese ghost movie you will ever see. Doesn't make a hell of a lotta sense- but who cares? The visuals are a trip without drugs or leaving the farm.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3395 on: December 15, 2023, 11:31:37 AM »

THE DARK SISTERS (2023): Two sisters reunite at a lakeside cabin to reflect on a crime from their past. Poetic, impressionistic, and opaque: great shots of Caddo Lake and its lily pads, vaguely defined archetypal characters, thick symbolism, voiceovers replacing dialogue, that kind of thing. 1.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3396 on: December 15, 2023, 03:07:17 PM »

LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND (2023) - Ethan Hawke and Julia Roberts star in this engrossing account of the end of civilization.
A husband and wife take their two teenagers to a nice bed and breakfast on the Jersey shore, intending to get away from it all for a few days.
But a trip to the beach ends in clamor and confusion after a huge oil tanker runs aground, and then the owners of the house they are staying in show up, explaining that there is a blackout in NYC and they are wanting to stay in the home with their guests till things get back to normal.  But then they don't . . .
Great film, lots of suspense, lots of unanswered questions, and stellar performances!  5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3397 on: December 15, 2023, 05:09:17 PM »

^ my friend described it as "Julia Roberts frowns for 3 hours"
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3398 on: December 15, 2023, 10:40:03 PM »

Ah, Indiana, you beat me to it. I watched it last Saturday, started a review early in the week, but my laptop crashed and I lost a buncha' words. Since I was on the fence initially, I'll, uh... let you have the spotlight here and I'll post my thoughts over in the "Bad Movies: Recent Viewings" thread instead.  Cheers
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3399 on: December 16, 2023, 04:29:46 AM »

HOUSE (1977) Perhaps the most insane Japanese ghost movie you will ever see. Doesn't make a hell of a lotta sense- but who cares? The visuals are a trip without drugs or leaving the farm.

a clip from this went semi-viral in the early days of YouTube… still never gotten round to seeing it.

I’m such a n00b when it comes to Asian horror. SICK NURSES (2007) is one of the few I’ve seen, and was pretty crazy

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3400 on: December 16, 2023, 12:10:00 PM »

a clip from this went semi-viral in the early days of YouTube… still never gotten round to seeing it.

I’m such a n00b when it comes to Asian horror. SICK NURSES (2007) is one of the few I’ve seen, and was pretty crazy

HAUSU is a must see. It's not really "Asian horror"; it's totally its own genre.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3401 on: December 16, 2023, 01:49:41 PM »

MADS ARE BACK: THE CREEPING TERROR: You know the story: mutant carpet comes to Earth, mutant carpet eats teens who helpfully crawl into its maw, army eventually kills mutant carpet way too late, Earth is doomed. Frank and Trace wring a few new chuckles out but stick with the original MST3K version for your own sanity. Includes a five-minute outtake segment that they should have left in. The Q&A guest is writer Kliph Nesteroff, who tells a few old showbiz stories about folks like Regis Philbin. 2.5/5.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3402 on: December 16, 2023, 04:51:50 PM »

Copycat (1995) - not bad for a random tubi find here. Pretty darn good thriller and certainly a must see for serial killer fans, of which I really am not generally. Sigourney Weaver embraces the darkness of the whole thing which also includes funky early internet stuff back when that was a novelty.

Weaver gets attacked by a serial killer, played well enough by the usually better Harry Connick Jr, which drives her into becoming an agoraphobe. The rest of the movie is basically a history of serial killers featuring all the big names the Boston Strangler, Ted Bundy etc as the police work to catch the titular copycat.

It did take me a few nights to watch but I already like it a lot better than The Departed which I just started.

4.5 /5
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3403 on: December 16, 2023, 04:54:07 PM »

^I thought the DEAPARTED was excellant!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
chainsaw midget

« Reply #3404 on: December 16, 2023, 05:44:03 PM »

I just got back from watching Napoleon. 

Visually, it was beautiful with great costumes, sets, and battle sequences. 

As a movie, it was kinda lacking.  It seemed more like a series of events than any actual narrative.  Also, Joaquin Phoenix comes across as very bland.  There's a bunch of points in the movie where it seems the script was written for somebody with a lot of wit and charisma, but he just comes across as dull.  He was also very noticeably lacking any kind of accent. 

Also, not once in the movie did they mention the time he went to San Dimas, California in the 1980s.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 252
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.