Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:23:59 PM
715288 Posts in 53130 Topics by 7756 Members
Latest Member: Anthonynolla
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 252
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 624081 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2940 on: July 06, 2023, 04:06:36 PM »

Strange Illusion (1945) - A better director could have brought out the wanna be Hitchcock elements better, but it's still decent. I've been getting in to these weird psychic/ psychological black and white things and, more importantly, this was the movie tubi recommended I watch after "Man on the Prowl" so I gave it a go.

A guy who may or not be obsessed with his Mom starts having dreams where she gets married to the guy who killed her husband/ his father. Wouldn't you know it: she starts dating a mysterious guy with a mysterious background! These premonitions continue as a gimmick throughout the movie. The director just can't harness all this suspense and weird sexual energy so it ends up being a regular crime movie. spooky ending

4/5
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 01:16:42 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2941 on: July 07, 2023, 08:45:02 AM »

the EERIE MIDNIGHT HORROR SHOW (1974) aka the TORMENTED aka ENTER THE DEVIL

Now THIS is an Exorcism movie!
What a f**ked up movie! Really perverse!
A young woman see's her mother being whipped with thorny roses, is raped and possessed by a crucified demon, tries to f**k her father and a priest, and pukes LOTS of melted pistachio ice cream! VERY sacralgious! Losta nudity too! It's Italian, of course!
I love it!

Cheers to this! Lovely little under-the-radar sexploitation horror. Lots of nice photography and ludicrous misbehavior. Dug it!
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2942 on: July 07, 2023, 08:48:55 AM »

I remember an interview with Sharon Stone after that movie came out. She said that she'd had to drink a bottle of vodka before she could bring herself to do a sex scene with Stallone and the only attractive part of his body was his ankles.

She's legitimately hilarious on MURDERVILLE, if you want to catch up on her recent activity. (Still looks nice, too.) Actually she had comedy chops way back in the mid-80s in the ridiculous ALLAN QUARTERMAIN movies.
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2943 on: July 07, 2023, 02:23:36 PM »

"The Thing" (1982)
A stone cold classic that still holds up after all these years.

"Mutant" (aka "Night Shadows," 1984)
A fast moving, entertaining little B-grade horror flick that gets the job done in spite of the obviously low budget and high cheese factor.

^^^YES
and per MUTANT
Heck yes!
Glad you liked it/glad to see it get some love!
I don't know that I've EVER read another positive review of this one... which always surprises me. Downbeat and ruthless enough to be made in the 70s and feels closer to 28 DAYS LATER than to a Romero joint. I liked the two female leads, plus Wings Hauser and Bo Hopkins? That's an exploitation flick tagteam extraordinaire!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2944 on: July 07, 2023, 06:00:31 PM »

INDIANA SMITH JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY (2023)

As an historian, it's always amusing to watch films based on real events in history and see how much they get wrong about the events they claim to depict.
But when the movie is based on your own life and exports, it can be downright painful.

However, unlike RAIDERS and TEMPLE OF DOOM, this movie actually got most of the events correct.  I mean, Archimedes was taller, slimmer, and younger than they portrayed him, and as usual, they got the types of aircraft involved all wrong (of course, I don't think there is a flyable Dornier-117 left in the world today).  Harrison Ford isn't as good-looking as me, but then, he never was.  Still, overall, the events in the movie are pretty close to how I remember them, even down to the crazy car chase during the Apollo-11 crew's ticker tape parade and the scuba diving sequence with all the eels on the ancient Roman shipwreck.  Anyway, if you want to see what I was up to about 50 years ago, check out the movie while it's still in the theaters!  I think it is my third favorite of all the Indiana "Jones" adaptations.  4/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2945 on: July 07, 2023, 07:05:05 PM »

^ This may seem weird, but I never seen an Indiana Jones movie.  Bluesad I seen Buckaroo Banzai!  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2946 on: July 07, 2023, 11:01:05 PM »

^ This may seem weird, but I never seen an Indiana Jones movie.  Bluesad I seen Buckaroo Banzai!  Smile

You know me.  You don't need the movies!!   TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2947 on: July 08, 2023, 12:40:08 AM »

^ Aye, Captain Bligh!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Poo Person
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2948 on: July 08, 2023, 01:25:19 AM »

But when the movie is based on your own life and exports, it can be downright painful.

TeddyR BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2949 on: July 08, 2023, 05:02:10 PM »

"Ape vs. Mecha-Ape" (2023)
The Asylum's at it again with a sequel to "Ape Vs. Monster." Following the events of the last movie, the giant ape "Abraham" has been living peacefully on a remote nature preserve. Meanwhile, the U.S. Government, for some reason, has created a giant robotic duplicate of him called "Mecha-Ape." When foreign terrorists take control of the mechanical monkey, the good guys have to unleash the real deal in order to save Chicago from a nuclear meltdown.
Silly junk, but it's at least superior to the first "Ape" flick. The first half is mostly dull, talky techno-babble BS, but once the title creatures finally started throwin' down my inner 8 year old was satisfied. The CGI is better than average for Asylum , and in the "slumming celebrity" department, Tom Arnold is good for a few chuckles as he picks up a quick paycheck playing the Secretary of Defense. Not the best Asylum film I've seen, but thankfully far from the worst.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2950 on: July 09, 2023, 07:13:55 AM »

"Hamburger: The Motion Picture" (1986)
Studly academic wash-out Russell (Leigh McCloskey of "Just One Of The Guys") won't receive his $250,000 inheritance unless he obtains a college degree, but pretty girls keep getting him in trouble everywhere he goes (I wish I had that problem...).
As a last ditch attempt, he signs up for Buster Burger University, the training program for a large fast food chain, which leads to lots of wacky hi-jinks involving food, sex, casual racism, flatulence, and endless burger-related puns.
This dumb-as-hell, but funny-as-hell moron comedy was an HBO staple back in the day and it still appeals to my inner 13 year old after all these years.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 07:17:04 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2951 on: July 09, 2023, 08:19:28 AM »

GONZO (2008)
The life and times of Hunter Thompson.
Unlike a lot of fast washes from A+E, this is a very detailed documentary of the very f**ked up author. A mad genuis. Lots of rare documentary footage and interviews with his friends and family. So sad he blew his brains out. A madman with an artists mind.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2952 on: July 09, 2023, 08:46:58 AM »

THE KILLING ROOM (2009): Four volunteers are lured under false pretenses to a room where they undergo an experiment with fatal consequences. Attempt at a minimalist thriller sports a decent cast (Chloe Sevigny, Peter Stormare) but lacks psychological insight, suspense, or a meaningful twist. 2/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2953 on: July 09, 2023, 09:40:54 AM »

3.75 I'd watch it again though. who cares any more

^Exactly this vibe, Lester...!  Cheers
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2954 on: July 09, 2023, 10:13:19 AM »

ARMAGEDDON TIME (2023):
This ultimately frustrated me but I'll post on it here as Anthony Hopkins gives a performance that I think might be his most natural and affecting. Of course I haven't seen every Hopkins performance (nor will I ever) and it's not like he needs a third Oscar but despite being "Anthony Hopkins" he surprised and impressed me here. Co-star Jeremy Strong (fresh off SUCCESSION, where his unnecessary commitment to full-time method acting bemused and irritated Hopkins' classically trained contemporary and fellow Lecter Brian Cox) follows Hopkins' lead and also delivers a disarmingly honest, small-scale performance. There's something about seeing actors of great range, who are often known for playing larger-than-life gods and maniacs, just speaking quietly and sincerely about human matters. That alone probably makes ARMAGEDDON TIME worth watching.

I'll admit I disliked James Gray's early films but he's grown on me w/ his recent work. Thus I was patient for almost an hour before ARMAGEDDON TIME seemed to show its cards as more than just a low-key period autobiography. Gray puts in place all the pieces necessary to illustrate the disillusionment of his adolescent stand-in and how that character finds himself at odds w/ the role model of his grandfather (Hopkins) when confronted w/ the cruel realities of the nascent Trump era. (Fred Trump is a minor character but big presence in the film...) The film's conclusion is so mild, understated, or even anti-climactic, however, as to provide little insight into how the protagonist feels about the moral compromises he's made or even how Gray wants the audience to feel. Perhaps the director is guilty only of being too subtle - yet I'm ambivalent about subtlety in social commentary in 2023.

Of course, old man that I've become, I'm merely ambivalent in 2023. 15 or 20 years ago I would've accused Gray of promoting or reinforcing white complacency, rather than just portraying it. As our national and global circumstances have grown more desperate, I've unfortunately only grown more circumspect and equivocal. Perhaps ARMAGEDDON TIME would've also been more potent and satisfying in the hands of a younger, angrier filmmaker.
3.5/5
anyway for world-class realist acting
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 252
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.