Main Menu

I am now employed.

Started by akiratubo, November 16, 2011, 09:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akiratubo

I'll be working part-time delivery for Advance Auto.  I get to drive around in their company truck ( which is *shudder* a Chevy Colorado), delivering parts to commercial businesses.  Not much pay and not many hours but it's better than nothing.  I look at it mostly as building up a current work history and current references so that my employment history will look better.  And, if nothing else, my self-esteem should start going up.

I'm actually thankful with the job market as bad as it is around here and with that huge gap in my work history.
Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!

Zapranoth

Excellent news, man.  :)  All good news, that.   :hot:

bob

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Rev. Powell

Congratulations!  Any job is a good job in this economy.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Silverlady

Hold onto your dreams ....

Trevor

I've had a crappy week but that announcement was a ray of warm sunshine to me.  :cheers:
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Doggett

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.

Flick James

I don't know if this is anything you are interested in or inclined to, akiraturbo, but this is just general advice for anybody going through hard times.

Freelance Writing.

This is something that is very real and a source of some extra income for those that have strong writing skills. I work fulltime, have two young kids, and go to school fulltime, but if I had the time I would definitely do it.

There are plenty of resources out there for online sites and organizations seeking freelance writing for a number of applications. It's not going to generate a ton of income, but I do know a guy who is making a living at it, but he does have to hustle and some months are not as good as others.

The point is, if you have writing chops, odds are you can find freelance writing opportunities. You can save all of your links when something is posted or published online and add it to your portfolio. This is particularly useful if you find opportunities that rely on the writing and communication skill set.

Something to consider. In this economy, some creativity is sometimes required to make ends meet.
I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org

tracy

Wonderful! Rev. Powell is so right....any job is a good one. Times are tough so hang in there! :smile:
Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.

Rev. Powell

Quote from: Flick James on November 17, 2011, 01:22:05 PM

Freelance Writing...

It's not going to generate a ton of income, but I do know a guy who is making a living at it, but he does have to hustle and some months are not as good as others.

Man, is that the understatement of the century.  The vast majority of people who try it earn $0.  That makes your friend's achievement quite impressive.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Flick James

Quote from: Rev. Powell on November 17, 2011, 03:40:34 PM
Quote from: Flick James on November 17, 2011, 01:22:05 PM

Freelance Writing...

It's not going to generate a ton of income, but I do know a guy who is making a living at it, but he does have to hustle and some months are not as good as others.

Man, is that the understatement of the century.  The vast majority of people who try it earn $0.  That makes your friend's achievement quite impressive.

Well, yeah, it's not easy. You have to know how to write well, first off, and you need to know how to search and play the game, so to speak. As an enrollment advisor I have several students who are enrolled in English programs and who want to be writers or work in the publishing industry in some way, and I always tell them they may want to look into freelance writing while they are working on their degree so that when they graduate they at least have some kind of portfolio of their work. I have talked to a couple of them that have pursured it and made it work. But yeah, it is work.
I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org

InformationGeek

That's great man!  I finally got a job myself last month at a libary.  Work buddies (though are jobs don't have anything in common)!   :teddyr:

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.

Psycho Circus