Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:55:53 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Possible Spyware Problem Here « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Possible Spyware Problem Here  (Read 10834 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: November 18, 2006, 11:10:58 PM »

As I was browsing this forum, everything froze up for a second and then dozens of new windows started popping up at a very rapid rate.

Obviously this was caused by a malicious program of some kind and I either contracted it here or from another site.

After there were around 100 windows up and still more popping up at an alarming rate, I rebooted my p.c., disabled my Internet access and ran both AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy.
AdAware found only tracking cookies but Spybot found a particularly vicious spyware program called "Movieland". 
I Googled it and found out that it's quite nasty.
It pretty much ground my computer to a halt. (assuming it was Movieland that caused it)
I've also noticed considerable slowdown on this site tonight as well.  (10-18)

Andrew, you might want to check everything out on your end to be sure there's nothing wrong.

Since the problem occured while here, I was wondering if any of you had experienced anything similar.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 03:50:54 AM by Ashthecat » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 12:31:52 AM »

Nothing.  I have done a check of files that would be suspect, but they are matching up with my local copies (unchanged).  I will run a complete check, but that is going to take a while to return a result.

If anyone sees anything, of course let me know.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 09:38:30 PM »

Hmmmm...
Everything seems to be ok now that I removed that spyware last night.
I have no idea where I could have gotten it from.
All I know is that it activated here.
And the coincidence that the spyware was called Movieland and it activated itself on a movie message board.

Weird.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 09:53:20 PM »

Nothing found during my check, including browsing the site with an unpatched version of IE from a test computer.

It is strange, but it could also matter how often you visit the site (if you visit 5% of your time online, then there was a 5% chance it would pop up here).  Looking at the information on the spyware, it appears that there is a 3 day "Trial Period" and then the pop-ups come hard and fast.  If so, you were infected 3 days prior.  It also looks like they (Movieland) are being taken to court over drive-by downloads.

Throw the jerks who create stuff like this into a pit with some angry dogs is my suggestion.  If they manage to win, well - add more dogs.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 05:38:51 PM »

My Dad's computer got this one, took me hours to root it out of his machine.

Throw the jerks who create stuff like this into a pit with some angry dogs is my suggestion.  If they manage to win, well - add more dogs.

You forgot to wrap them in bacon first.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Possible Spyware Problem Here « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.