Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:45:36 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Voltron: Blue Lion Collection (eps. 1-15) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Voltron: Blue Lion Collection (eps. 1-15)  (Read 9031 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 23, 2006, 06:23:02 PM »

The Lion Voltron series finally gets an official DVD release.  In order to create an acceptable product, Anime Works had to take some rather unusual steps.  Since Voltron was cobbled together from two different series, Anime Works got the rights to both GoLion and Dairugger, restored them both, and re-edited them together into Voltron.

The episodes look great, better than I've ever seen.

Voltron doesn't quite hold up to my memories but, after the first few horrendous episodes, it gets down to business and is pretty good.

Some highlights include the episodes "The Princess Joins Up", which features a great battle between Voltron and a cyclops monster, "Bad Birthday" which features scenes of forced cannibalism and TWO monsters that just come out of nowhere at the end, and "Yurak Gets His Pink Slip", in which Prince Lotor is debuted and previous head-villain Yurak gets to go out fighting.

I had only seen random episodes before and was suprised to find that, when viewed in sequence, there is a loose continuity (or at least chronology) at work.  The rough, '80s anime style is refreshing in these days of overly-slick, overly-stylized crap.

The only real impediment to my complete enjoyment is that Voltron is basically an "idiot picture".  For the plot to advance, characters usually have to do the stupidest thing possible at any given moment.  For example, in one episode, Princess Allura takes the black lion out for a solo training run without permission and almost ends up getting everybody killed.  That's bad enough but, later, to make up for it, she decides that she must surrender herself to Lotor. (!!!!!!!!)  I hope, I really hope, that in GoLion she was actually going to kill Lotor to redeem herself.

Also, Voltron's battles are sometimes rather perfunctory.  A robeast will show up, Voltron will form, pull out his blazing sword, and CHOP, all within 45 seconds or so.  You can really tell the animators were thinking, "Yeah, better drop a robeast in here, I guess."

The Yellow Lion Collection (eps. 16-30) should be out this week.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 04:02:53 PM »

I wondered how my memories of Voltron would stand up.  Even working with memories that were years old, I thought that most of the episodes followed nearly the same thread with ultimate resolution (Voltron chopping up the last big monster).  The reason I thought of it is that I have been watching my way through the Ultraman first series DVD set.  They do much the same thing, with Ultraman finally zapping the last monster in every episode.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 07:30:43 AM »

I used to have the toy of Voltron when I was a boy in the 80's.
I loved playing with it!

I can't remember whatever happened to it though.
I think my mom sold it in a garage sale.
 Hatred
It would probably be worth quite a pretty penny today.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Voltron: Blue Lion Collection (eps. 1-15) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.