Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:53:32 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Halloween III « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Halloween III  (Read 85519 times)
Jordan Garren
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I'm surprised at how many people are defending this film! It's terrible, mostly due to the fact it's a "Halloween" sequel without Michael Meyers! Also the plot is ludicrous, wow you've got a piece of Stonehenge, ok...and oh yeah, masks that sell like hotcakes to little kids (that include a built in device which will fry the little child's brain spewing forth a large array of harmless snakes and insects, when a certain annoying commercial is played!). The idea is sort of cool...but WHY would you want to kill off an entire generation of children...oh wait...look at the last FEW generations...I stand corrected on that. Needless to say it's bad. Despite that I can sit and watch it over and over again, coming up with some MST3K like jokes for it! And not many people remember it, but the main character, Dan Challis, was forced to sit and watch the original Halloween! And after Halloween ended he was supposed to get his brain fried by the annoying aforementioned T.V. commercial. Good thing he escaped and ended the movie! YAY!
Christian
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Some parts in this movie is just plain tasteless. I felt cheated when I saw this movie because I thought Mr Myers was going to be in it. So don't buy a Halloween box set containing the three first movies. Because the third one sucks big time. Anyway, I like the locations this movie were shot. I could live there easily, but who knows? Maybe there's evil lurking?
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2000, 11:43:37 AM »

This is one Halloween movie, that does keep within the mood of Halloween, but detracts from what the audience was anticipating. People expecting to see Michael Myers were grossly disappointed to not see him here. Still, the story is interesting. Plus, I love that song.
Chadzilla
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Ah sweet days of youth.  I saw this movie during its debut weekend and will never forget my father's comment during the end credit run.  "No wonder this movie wasn't any good...Dino De Laurnetis had something to do with it."

Ouch.

Actually this is my favorite Halloween sequel, because it isn't a generic slasher clone and it tries to do something with the "idea" of Halloween.  Also Carpenter's score was superb.

The original script was reportedly written by the legendary Nigel Kneale, author of the classic Quatermass telefilms and their Hammer Film adaptations.  When director Tommy Lee Wallace changed the script around (making it gorier and nastier) he removed his name from the project and walked away in a huff.  Don't blame him.

A nod should also go to Dennis Etchison, who, under the pen name of Jack Martin, wrote a novelization of the movie.  He cleared up a lot of the time zone issues (the Big Giveaway is a 6PM PST and 9PM EST, etc) as well as throwing in a lot of in-jokes to his other Carpenter novelizations (Halloween 2 and The Fog).  He even makes the Dr. Challies the Dead Beat Drunken Dad Anti-Hero a tad more sympathetic. The book is actually pretty decent, even though the movie is flawed.  Still, I love it and give it three slimes.
Ken Begg
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The plan for the Halloween movies at this point was to leave Michael M. permanently deceased, having blown him up real good in the second film, and release annual unrelated films all centering on the holiday of Halloween.  H3 didn't do too well, though, probably for the obvious reason, and new producers bought the rights and reestablished Myers as the focus of the increasingly desultory series.  

As for the above comments, I especially concur that I personally found the film overly mean-spirited (but then I have a comparitively low threshold of squeamishness), and the idea that anyone would tamper with a Nigel "Quatermass" Kneale screenplay is horrific.  I'd love to see someone redo this and go with the original script.
PETER JOHNSON
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I really can't believe all the positive commentary here.  Well, to each his own, and all that, but I thought this film blew chunks--really, really awful.  For one thing, it's shot so darkly that you have to squint (Is that a bug or part of his nose?) to see anything.  The business of the masks shooting out all sorts of different species of vermin that would co-exist only in the wrangler's bag (Quick!! Roll film! The millipedes are eating the roaches!!)left me with that cold, dull sensation behind the eyes that only the worst films can do.  ANY of the "Friday the 13th" films--horrid though they are--beat the stuffing out of this excrement.  Hated it.  One skull. NO slimes.
Cham
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2001, 08:37:01 PM »

One of the top 10 worst movies ever made. Also pretty cool. When I rented this a few years back I imagined I would be watching another Michael Myers slasher flick. But I was surprised. I give it a 3/5
Macabre Matt
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I first saw this film in the late 80's and thought it was pretty crap because I loved the first two films. Watched it again last year and didn't find it as bad as I first thought. But that song: 2 more days 'till Halloween etc... someone give me a shotgun!
Y2Cale
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2001, 03:53:20 PM »

Anyone who actually thought anything in this movie was interesting needs to do two things.  One:  Think about how gay a sequal of Friday the 13th would be without Jason or a Nightmare on Elm Street sequel without Freddy.  Halloween=Michael Myers.  And two:  Punch yourself in the nuts real, REAL hard.
Chris1
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2001, 07:33:56 PM »

I saw the commercial of it when it first came out boy, the commercial was more scary than the film. It made me not to wear a mask for Halloween for a long time but I got over it. Then I saw the film on cable and video and they made me not to wear a mask for Halloween for a long time again. Also I hate that creepy comercial and the annoying song.
Hermann
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I can't blame anyone who hates this movie, however, I still insist it deserves some credit for having a premise that is very atypical for a horror movie. Incidentally, Halloween is my favorite holiday, so I really dug the whole Stonehenge/masks/marketing/"our Celtic landscape"  part of the film. I also think it's not without its good moments.(bug crawling out that annoying woman's mouth)
I think its fatal flaw is that it asks way too much in the suspension of disbelief department, as many of you pointed out.  ROBOTS?!?!?!?!  That was plain stupid.  I think the film shot itself in the foot with that element.  (yes, yes I know it would be rather hard to get Stonehenge over here as well) Mr. Cochran being the high priest of some kind of neo-druid cult with human disciples running around doing the killing would be both more believable and unnerving. The acting had some decent parts and some really bad parts.  So....ultimately I guess what I'm saying is: I like this movie but I know it's pretty bad.
Eric
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

This movie has a VERY creative and interesting plot.  This is my favorite movie, period.

I remember growing up that one of my friends thought that Ellie Grimbridge was really hot.  At the time, I dismissed the comment preferring blondes.  Now that I older, I really appreciate the comment made by my friend.  Please get out your DVD copy of Halloween III: Season of the Witch and go to 38 minutes and 11 seconds and press your pause button. You can thank me later.  

Briansan
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

What ? Holloween III ? Sorry, no. It is actually a really cool movie that I own on DVD but it sure as hell aint' a sequel. Any true horror fan sick of the bratty little kid characters will be happy with this one. Of course the soundtrack will stick in your head for about four, no... five years.
dave
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Great soundtrack.  The guy who played Mr. Cochran (the evil, old warlock) did a fantastic job (he's been in many other movies, as well).  It's cool that it's not a typical "slasher film."

On the other hand, the plot stretches the limits of credibility, even for a horror film.  Still, it's better than Halloween 4, 5, etc.
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Worst movie I've ever seen. This isn't a B-movie...it's a freaking C-movie (C is for crap, if you couldn't tell).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Halloween III « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.