Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:06:42 AM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Devil Girl From Mars « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Devil Girl From Mars  (Read 67397 times)
Brandi
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

That robot is pretty funny; but then, robot FX have never seemed to be the Brits' strength...
Stefan Robak
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Ah yes, I was wondering when you'd get around to this one.  With a title like this it's hard to pass up.  And what the hell iswrong with the little kid in this movie.  Scaring everyone into thinking he'sa villain.  Is he real dense or what?
peter johnson
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Anyone notice how STAGY this thing is?  I mean, there is no real reason for this thing to be a moive.  There's only one set:  The pub interior.  The whole thing could be performed on one stage, in one high-school auditorium.  You wouldn't even have to see the robot -- the folk could come back into the pub from outside & breathlessly speak of what they had seen.  I bet this thing WAS a stage show first!  Anyway, I love the space-Nazi . . .
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This makes a great late night fave. I purchased this through Sinister Cinema, and it contains the elements of a horrible horror. Mundane diologue, amateurish special effects. The actress playing the martian female has a glaze in her eyes, like she was on heavy prozzak. Still, as they say, THEY DONT MAKE 'EM LIKE THIS ANYMORE.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

It seems stagey, because it was a stageshow first. And some other facts that may interest some. Probably the best known name among the cast is that of Hazel Court, who plays Ellen in the film, as she twice appeared opposite Vincent Price--in "The Raven" and "The Masque of the Red Death"--and starred in several Hammer horrors, including "The Curse of Frankenstein" and "The Man Who Could Cheat Death." Even back in the 1950's they knew what a tight fitting PVC outfit, with black sheer nylon tights or stockings, an uplift bra, and high patent leather boots would do for the image of women--a S&M's delight. They knew the same in the 1980's
(i.e. Amanda Donohoe as Lady Sylvia Marsh in "The Lair of the White Worm.) The difference was that in the 1980's you could get awany with more skin then you could in the 1950's.
And this film shows how the War set back the British film industry. It was release in 1954, nine years after the War ended, but it has the look of a 1930's release. Enjoy!
DJ
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Humm Yeah so why did that plane blow up mid air????
The only reason I can think of is Nyah mentions that part of the *space craft broke off
(like half way through the show she mentions this)

(*which looks a bit like the one used in Doctor Who movie "Dalek invasion Earth" think the name is from memory)

Robot man looks like it was a rip from a 30's Amazing Stories
One thing I did find interesting was the destrutive effects, looked very much like those used in "War of the Worlds"
(part of the resaon I went searching for the date on this movie.

PS Great site, Thanks for your efforts to all those that make this site possible.
As to the my email, no freebie box at the moment and I would rather not put up the ISP one (web bots etc)
gmork55
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

i love this film, its lousy in virtually every respect but the Robot and the flying saucer make everything worthwhile!
 Films like this and 'This Island Earth' inspired me to study science, it's a pity reality isn't quite so much fun.
 PS, Where can i meet a leather clad Martian Woman?
Tars
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Just saw this last night.  While the robot looks (ahem) pretty ridiculous, I wonder how they operated it.  When it stomps around the cast, the motion of the legs looks almost natural.  A giant marionette, maybe?

Also...Nyah is HOT.  Way, way HOT.
pepper-pigg
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

BLIMEY! Robot girls and astronauts don't mix! British film makers...eat %$@# !!!!
jayvinton
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I was 4 when War of the Worlds and Invaders From Mars came out and I was taken to a double bill to see both, I watched Invaders and Kept my head in my sisters lap throughout War of the worlds, probably causing irreversible trauma requiring therapy that was never received.

I saw Devil Girl from Mars when I was 5, at home on late night tv on a saturday on "Nightmare Theatre" a local show out of Fort Worth, I was instantly taken with the black clad NYAH and performed unspeakable acts upon my self to her vision.  I also drew her spaceship countless times. I was too young to realize that the movie was third rate at best and was in the English countryside with drunk scots as the predominate cast. I do love me some bad science fiction however.
Jim Holt
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Fabulous....transcendent....
my only question: why doesn't Nyah just ask for volunteers?
Hey, I'll go...I'll be the love slave of a FemDom Mars...anyday....just ask////
Scratch
New Visitor

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 08:46:57 PM »

It was actually adapted from a play.
Nyah wore way too much leather. Makes you wonder what was under that leather micro skirt.
naturak
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 07:38:38 AM »

This is from 1954 and look at Nia's miniskirt! Great set of long legs in black stockings. I'll bet more than one British lad dreamt of taking off with her in her spaceship to a Mars full of tall leggy women short of men!
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 06:15:18 PM »

Not a bag flick. Lots of good riffing potential. All it needed was Bela Lagosi and the humor would be compleat!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
marcus
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 10:01:16 AM »

I have to say i quite like this one.
Patricia Laffan was interviewed recently about this film on the BBC ( she must be ancient)
It was a programme about British B-movies , I have to say i don't remember them talking much about FIRE MAIDENS FROM OUTERSPACE, too embarrassing i suppose.
But this film has an interesting caste.
Three good looking women, Adrienne Corri, Hazel Court & Patricia Laffan.
Also there was Johnny Laurie, way before 'Dad's army'.( BBC television )
Best bit for me is when the saucer has just landed and the professor will not accept it's existence , telling everyone ' not to jump to conclusions' ????
Don't tell me , it's a weather balloon!.
A really awful, but funny Brit B-movie is 'Konga' ( recommended )
The acting and just about everything else fails in that one!
Now, that is an achingly funny bad film.
This one's not quite in that bracket, but entertaining.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Devil Girl From Mars « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.