Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:27:01 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Region One vs Region Two DVD « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Region One vs Region Two DVD  (Read 8153 times)
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 11, 2006, 06:48:40 PM »

OK, I need some help here.   But first some backstory...
a) I am a Terry Practchett Fan
b) Sky One TV has made a film of one of his books: http://www.skyone.co.uk/hogfather/
c) there will be a DVD available that I would like.
d) it is a region 2 DVD

What are the odds that my Sony will work play iy, and how can I find out?
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 08:38:20 PM »

For a Sony Player?  Very unlikely.  Some of the other brands, APEX comes to mind, were quite friendly to region changing.  Sony is not, from every time I have seen this brought up.

You know something I am not sure of?  Region 2 is bound to be PAL video format (US uses NTSC).  Are there other considerations, such as having a TV that can display PAL?  I need to go brush up on my video format knowledge.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 02:40:45 AM »

Andrew's right.
Almost every electronic component I own is made by Sony and they're one of the "pickiest" brands when it comes to using competitors products.
Sony prefers you to use their products with their equipment and nothing else.

There's an actual term for that practice but I can't remember what it is.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 02:42:17 AM by Ashthecat » Logged
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 09:28:47 AM »

I believe the word Ash is looking for is "proprietary." To me, a more appropriate word would be something like "jackassery." I realize it's easier to make sure your products work well with each other than to assure they work well with competitors' products, but some companies seem to go out of their way to make sure that their products don't work well with anybody else's products. It's not just Sony; I don't mean to just pick on them. Apple is notorious for it; Microsoft claims not to, but they certainly don't make it easy for competitors to make products compatible with their software. Some companies produce things that seem pretty well universally compatible, among them Samsung and Panasonic (in my experience at least).

As far as DVD Regions, from what I've read, a computer monitor can show either PAL or NTSC, and it is possible to change the regions on a DVD-ROM drive, but only up to five times on most drives (that may have changed, but that's the way it was last year). I found sites here and here that might help you with that. There are also software solutions for Windows to accomplish region changes. With stand-alone DVD players, there are sites like this one that show how to hack dvd players to be region-free, but I have no idea how well they work, and all hacks are done at your own risk.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 10:17:22 AM »

If I remember correctly Menard had a whole thread on how to change your DVD player to play the different Regions. Even had a website where it told what DVD player you can fiddle with to change the player.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

raj

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 01:41:03 PM »

If I remember correctly Menard had a whole thread on how to change your DVD player to play the different Regions. Even had a website where it told what DVD player you can fiddle with to change the player.

I remember that site.  And for my dvd player (Panasonic) it listed that there were no fiddles for it.

I'm probably going to be in the market for a new player, as mine has developed the habit over the last couple of years of immediately closing once I hit the open button.

Are there any "all region" players out there?  I asked at Best Buy and they said they didn't have any such thing.
Menard
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 02:02:05 PM »

Several models of DVD players can be found which have built-in PAL converters and can be set to Region 0 encoding (meaning it can play a disc from anywhere in the world). The PAL converter reads the PAL format disc, but converts to an NTSC output signal (and vice versa is the opposite is true).

Economical models are made by Philips. Several of their models have built in PAL converters and can easily be made region free with a simple 5 digit code entered from the remote (do remember that when entering the code to keep the DVD tray in the open position). The code consists of four digits, plus one digit for the region you want to set (which is best just to set it for 0).

The site which has all the information you need is VideoHelp.com. You can find conversion hacks and find DVD player models which have built in converters and and can be easily converted with a simple code; I'd avoid any models requiring firmware upgrades as bugs usually accompany these hacks.

A very economical model is Philips DVP642 which can be found at Amazon for less than $50. It only requires a code to convert it and that can be found at the website I listed.
raj

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 02:07:17 PM »

Thanks Menard.
and a boost to your Karma.
(Now I just have to wait to pay off my Christmas credit card bills)
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 05:03:17 PM »

Hatred
Dang it all, but thanks for the input everyone.  I'll have to think of something else.   
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Region One vs Region Two DVD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.