Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:59:43 PM
713373 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Just saw GRINDHOUSE. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Just saw GRINDHOUSE.  (Read 28944 times)
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 09:29:09 PM »

I agree with alot of the people on here. DEATH PROOF didnt seem much different that any of his other movies. It might as well have been KILL BILL or PULP FICTION in it's place. Did NOT seem like an exploitation film at all. I actually found myself banging the back of my head against my chair durring all the girl talk parts, which were PONTLESS by the way. They didnt seem to go anywhere. HUGE dissipointment. But PLANET TERROR alone was well worth the admission fee. The trailers and vintage warning signals were great too.

And did anyone else notice that DEATH PROOF had a loose end? Whatever happened to that girl that they left with the guy who owned the car?

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 12:49:22 AM »

I, too, Saw Grindhouse on Friday.  Sad as it may seem, when I go to pick up the DVD, I'll probably be telling everyone that I "picked up Planet Terror."

Planet Terror- One of the best new splatter films I've seen in a long time.  Absolutely ridiculous, over the top, and lots of fun. 

Death Proof- Well uh... There's a lot of dialogue!  Okay, so Kurt Russell was awesome, but there was so much downtime that didn't feel plot-important that I almost yelled in the theater, "What the f**k is this movie even about?"  I could actually sense the small crowd in the theater getting bored quickly.  I will say that I did like the movie all in all, but not in the sense that I liked Planet Terror.  I guess long dialogue is better than padding out the movie with pointless stock footage, a la Hell of the Living Dead or The Prey (1983).
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 06:17:01 AM »

Scott, in Death Proof i see what your saying it was almost if a slew of scenes were dropped out, but not intentionally like we had already seen in planet terror before hand and earlier in this one. it just wasnt there.....

SPOILERS!!!!

when kurts in the hospital (SIDE NOTE: im guessing the guy with the cowboy hat was his father and dakota from planet terror was his sister and it was the same hospital from planet terror and we see dakota show her distaste for her father and talks to him like she was kurts sister and his daughter, that was kinda cool. ) right after that scene it goes right into another group of girls and kurts antics. theres no scenes where he gets out of the hospital or getting a new car(or fixing it up) or anything.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 10:08:26 AM »

Scott:

Those fake trailers were directed by Rob Zombie, Eli Roth, and I forget who else.  I really enjoyed them.  And the ad for the Mexican restaurant was just like the low-budget ads they used to show at drive-ins for local businesses.  Ah, the memories . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 10:11:23 AM »

I also enjoyed the continuity errors.  The one that made me chuckle out loud was in DEATH PROOF when Kurt Russell is at the bar.  From one angle, he has a napkin in his hands, from the next angle, he is drinking water, then it switches back to the first angle and he has the napkin in his hands again. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pilgermann

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 10:31:34 AM »

I saw Grindhouse this past Thursday night and I really enjoyed it.  As many folks have said, Death Proof starts really slow.  *SPOILER SPOILER*  There was NO NEED to develop the first group of girls for so long, and I never cared about them one bit.  Their gruesome death scene was cool, though.  After that it's mostly good, minus a couple of more boring scenes of dialogue.

Oh, and Edgar Wright directed the trailer for Don't.  There's talks of making it into a feature, and Robert Rodriguez has pretty much confirmed that he's going to make Machete into a feature.

I'd like to see a Grindhouse 2 but Grindhouse didn't do to great at the box office this past weekend.  It made around $11 million.  I think it'll get steady business, though.

Oh, and I found this amusing: at the theater where I work someone complained about the "missing reel" in Planet Terror.

KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 10:38:57 AM »

I also enjoyed the continuity errors.  The one that made me chuckle out loud was in DEATH PROOF when Kurt Russell is at the bar.  From one angle, he has a napkin in his hands, from the next angle, he is drinking water, then it switches back to the first angle and he has the napkin in his hands again. 

I noticed one of these too. When tne "butterfly" girl is out side smoking a joint, the shot cuts, and shes smoking a cigerette. I wouldnt call it "amusing", and it definately didnt make up for the over bordom I experienced.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 10:54:52 AM »

Fausto:

ILSA: SHE WOLF OF THE S.S. is available on DVD.  I bought the boxed set, which includes :

* ILSA: SHE WOLF OF THE S.S.
* ILSA THE WICKED WARDEN
* ILSA: HAREM KEEPER OF THE OIL SHEIKS

However, it does not include ILSA: TIGRESS OF SIBERIA

Thank You-as god is my witness, I will see all 3 movies before I die! (hopefully netflix carries them).

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Torgo

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 09:06:18 PM »

Here's how I would rate Grindhouse as a whole:   ***1/2 out of ****.

and here's how I rate the individual segments:

Planet Terror   ***
Death Proof    ***1/2

Machete   (fake trailer)  ***1/2
Werewolf Women of the S.S.  (fake trailer) ***
Don't      (fake trailer)  **** 
Thanksgiving   (fake trailer) ***1/2         

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 09:47:34 PM »

Just got back from seeing Grindhouse and all I can say is Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!   Smile

Both films more than exceeded my expectations.
I liked both but I have to say that I liked Death Proof the best.  It totally had that 70's feel to it.
Planet Terror was also great.  Tons of disgusting bloody gore and damn...Rose McGowan has never looked sexier!
One thing I noticed.  Planet Terror definitely had the feel of a John Carpenter movie. 
Anyone else notice that?

The extra dialogue in Death Proof that a lot of people have complained about actually made it better in my opinion.
The car chase scene at the end was f**king spectacular!

The faux trailers were great.
I especially liked the Thanksgiving trailer.
It has one of the best taglines ever...
"White meat, dark meat...All will be carved!"

Watch them now!

WARNING!  THESE TRAILERS ARE NOT SAFE FOR WORK!

Thanksgiving trailer:
Small | Large

Machete trailer:
"They just f**ked with the wrong Mexican!"
Small | Large

Don't trailer:
Small | Large

!!Slight Spoiler!!

Seeing Kurt Russel cry like a b***h after those girls stick it to him was worth the price of admission alone.
Especially when they beat the living daylights out of him and the end credit pops up out of nowhere.
Fantastic!   TeddyR

!!End Spoiler!!

I am so going to buy this on DVD when it comes out.
If I were you, I wouldn't wait to see this on DVD. 
Go out right now and see it the way it was meant to be seen...in the theater!

I rate Planet Terror 3.5 out of 4 stars.   Thumbup
And I gave Death Proof 4 out of 4 stars.   Thumbup
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:07:34 PM by Ash » Logged
Torgo

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007, 10:33:06 PM »

The entire theater cheered and clapped at the last shot of Death Proof.

I've only been to a handful of movies in my lifetime (so far) in which that has taken place.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2007, 10:52:23 PM »

Saw it Friday, loved both movies (even though Death Proof made you earn the best parts, they were some pretty f'ing good parts!), loved the trailers, wanted to nuke most of the US when I found out it was outsold by Are We Done Yet? for the weekend. Let's hope word of mouth (or message board posts as it may be) make for better box office on this and the following weekends.

You check out my full review(s) for the movie at www.tombofanubis.com if interested.

Cheers

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 11:13:04 PM »

By the way...
What was Stuntman Mike's hood ornament on his car?

I couldn't quite make it out each time they showed it.
My friend said it was a duck.
Was it?
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 07:09:22 AM »

By the way...
What was Stuntman Mike's hood ornament on his car?

I couldn't quite make it out each time they showed it.
My friend said it was a duck.
Was it?

Yes, the hood ornament was indeed a chrome duck. It's Tarantino's homage to the movie Convoy, from which the hood ornament was directly taken.

Thank my mother-in-law for that one, as I've tried my best to not watch Convoy...

"We got a great big coooonvooooy, rockin' through the niiiiiiight. We got a great big coooonvoooooy, ain't she a beautiful siiiiiight? Cooooonvoooooy!"

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 10:18:20 AM »

I just saw GRINDHOUSE last night as well.

I enjoyed both flicks but I liked Planet Terror much more than Death Proof.

I think QT's foot fetish has reached the level of unhealthy obsession.  Most of the shots feature woman's feet...including the opening shot.  Jeez!  Hey, Quentin, not everybody likes feet!  Ease up on it alright!  I liked Kurt Russel's character and he looked like thoroughly enjoyed making the film.  I don't mind character development but the girls' conversations come off as inane and don't really tell you a whole lot about them.  Now, I know the "feel" QT was going for and if you look at a bunch of car and motorcycle movies of the 70's, he nailed it.  In those type of movies you don't come for plot but you stay for the car chases.  That being said, it was a bit of a let down after Planet Terror.  When I get the DVD, I'll probably fast forward to the Stuntman Mike parts and skip the "girls talking" parts.  (BTW swearing like a drunken sailor is cool when your Samuel L. Jackson, not so much when your a cute girl)

Planet Terror was an homage of the highest order.  It was nothing if not entertaining from start to finish.  I'm not queamish but I winced at the level of gore.  They had a lot of cameos from B-grade stars.  It was good to see some actors you haven't seen in a while.  Maybe some of them will enjoy a Travolta-esque comeback.

The fake trailers are worth the price of admission!  Everybody in the theater was screaming with laughter.  I loved "Don't" and "Thanksgiving".  "Machete" was pretty good and Rob Zombie's "SS" was the worst of the bunch.  I'm not saying it was bad but I guess I was expecting something else.  Nick Cage is hysterical!  I hope they have an unrated directors' cut of the movie even though it'll be 4 hours long.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Just saw GRINDHOUSE. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.