Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:12:50 PM
714402 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  SON OF INGAGI (1940) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SON OF INGAGI (1940)  (Read 5140 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 27, 2007, 04:51:28 PM »

This movie is included in Mill Creek's NIGHT SCREAMS 50 MOVIE PACK.

The only reason to watch this is as a history lesson in blaxploitation horror cinema . . . more specifically, bad blaxploitation horror cinema.

Dr. Jackson, a female mad scientist, has a jungle man (sort of an ape man in cheap make-up who looks more like a man than an ape) hidden in a secret room in her basement.  When she wants to summon him, she bangs a gong and he creeps up from the basement.

The jungle man kills a couple of people, but the dimwitted police detective can't figure out that there's a hidden basement in the house.  In a 3-Stooges style comedy scene the detective keeps making sandwiches and every time he turns his back the jungle man walks into the kitchen and steals them.

Most of this movie takes place on sparsely decorated sets and there is almost no musical score.  It's just a cheap, creaky, old comedy/thriller that probably won't appeal to most modern viewers.  But it's only about an hour long, so you might want to give it a try. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:18:35 AM »

I haven't seen this, but it looks pretty odd.  Based on the pictures, I was more convinced that the antagonist was mentally disabled, and not some kind of ape man.
Raffine

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:44:58 PM »

Tried this one last night, but fell asleep right when the party started at the newlywed's apartment. Those close harmony crooners lured me to sleep.

From what I've seen the Dr. Jackson character impressed me as very unusual, particularly for the genre (if early no-budget all-black comedy-horror really is a genre!).

There are reports a print of the original INGAGI (1931), long thought to be lost, has been discovered and may soon be released on DVD. It was a quite famous and popular fake African travelogue/guy in a gorillla suit movie in its day. The Little Rascals made references to it a couple of times.

It was completely unrelated to sequel-in-name-only SON OF INGAGI.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 03:46:36 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 06:06:25 PM »

I read a little bit on the original Ingagi, and it sounds like it's inspired by, if not a complete ape of, H.P. Lovecraft's Arthur Jermyn.  The copyright, according to the Lovecraft book I have, predates Ingagi by seven years, so it sounds possible.  The premise sound pretty close to the same, with a few small differences.  I'm pretty sure the predictable twist ending wasn't included. 

Being a mere 10 page story, I do recommend reading it.  It does make me hope that that Ingagi DVD does come out so I can compare the two.
Raffine

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 09:45:40 AM »

Here's the Classic Horror Film Board thread where the supposed rediscovery of INGAGI is discussed:

http://p075.ezboard.com/fmonsterkidclassichorrorforumfrm72.showMessage?topicID=223.topic

Again, everybody go check your garage for a print of LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT!

Frankly I'd be surprised if the makers were even aware of Lovecraft's story. He was still very obscure at the time (1930) this was made. More likely this was seen as an opportunity to release a bunch of jungle stock footage and some rather bizarre new stuff (that pre-Gamera "tortadillo" creature is a hoot!) tied together with an "Apes Mate With Wimmin!" exploitation angle.

Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 09:41:19 PM »

Ozzymandias speaks: This is not so much blackexploitation. I think it was one of the films made for the black cinema circut. Mill Stream has put a few of these in their box sets. This is one of the few that actually qualifies as a horror film.  I don't remember the titles of the others but one has a woman rumored to be a voodoo queen. The other is a tear jerker about a grandfather's ghost protecting the family (or something).

I've kicked myself for not buying one of the Herb Jeffries/Spencer Williams B-westerns at the Cowboy Hall of Fame in OKC a few years back when I was there.

Ozzymandias has spoken!!! 
Raffine

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 12:20:35 AM »

There were literally hundreds of these all-black cast films made for the "colored circut", most sadly are lost and most of the surviving films are in terrible shape. One of the best I've seen is a very early example titled WITHIN OUR GATES (1920) directed by Oscar Micheaux. It's a serious and really shocking look at the terrible treatment of blacks by whites, including the lynching of a young child and an elderly woman,  in the (then) contemporary south.

Now here's some SON OF INGAGI trivia for you, gleemed from imdb:

Zack Williams, the actor who played "Ingeena the Ape Man", was in GONE WITH THE WIND the previous year.

I watched NABONGA (1944), another ape flick in this collection, this afternoon. The print is terribly dark, but it's a fairly entertaining little jungle movie in a goofy kind of way. It was released by PRC, which was sort of a poor man's Monogram Pictures.  TeddyR With Buster Crabbe, Barton MacLane, Fifi D'Orsay, a very young Julie London, and Ray "Crash" Corrigan (billed as N'bonga) as Samson the Gorilla. A couple of years later MacLane and Corrigan would both be in UNKNOWN ISLAND!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 12:24:52 AM by Raffine » Logged

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  SON OF INGAGI (1940) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.