Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:15:09 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (Capsule Review) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (Capsule Review)  (Read 15052 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: October 30, 2007, 06:57:13 PM »

New York City is attacked by a plague-infested dinosaur.  Even today, Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion work looks great.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
peter j/denny c
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 06:36:30 PM »

You really can't say enough good things about this film --
Looks even better on a really big screen, so if you know anyone with video projection capabilities, you should show this one on the back of a garage one night for the neighborhood kids --
Didn't Bradbury get actual screen credit for this?  So, not really a steal? . . .
peter johnson/denny crane
Nev
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 06:39:21 PM »

This movie is so good.  Special effects are always top notch from ray.  One of my favorite classic american monster movies. 

Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 11:53:37 AM »

Too much exposition, not enough monster, solid B cast, first time someone hands Lee Van Cleef a gun! ( I'd have used a Garand, myself, but hey...)
Fun time in the world of B&W.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
George
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 06:52:44 PM »

What happens when movie producers see a monster movie script and decide there is entirely to much monster in the story?.
Well you get The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms!.
It could of been so much better,but for some reason,Jack Ditz and Hal Chester (our producers),said "Way to much Monster",what did they want?,you know he was originally to be called Godzilla,but at the last minute Warner Bros. decided this title would be a better eye catcher,(good thing,for a three years later that name would be given to one of the most famous monsters in history!,though I still like Gamera better,and landed Raymond Burr the role as the country's most famous defense attorney in TV history,up to the time of Matlock,today they are both the most famous attorneys on TV).
Anyway,yet another A-bomb test unleashes the Beast,Paul Christan(Tom Nesbit) is the only one who survives the first encounter and tries to convince everyone else as to what he has seen.
You know no one believes him,until he meets Dr.Elsion and Miss Lee Hunter,who's played,believe it or not, by non other than Gracie Allen!!,the first straight role she's ever had!.
Oh I'm sorry,that's not our queen of confusion,it's really Paula Raymond,who just happens to look like a young Gracie Allen.
Meantime the beast goes on the rampage,needing to eat after all those thousands of years,he eats the following,Icebergs,Canadian fishing boats,with nice Canadian Fishermen morsels,Lighthouses,Divingbells,and finally he comes to New York City!.
Where he's amazed by the well paved road to walk on,stopping only to eat cars and policemen!,with special guest screamer Aunt Bea!,and crashing through The Jeffersons deluxe east side apartment!,now where else are you going to find a monster movie like this one?.
He also carries a prehistoric disease,and so at Conny Island while the monster eats his last meal,(that rollercoaster),Tom gives a grenade rifle to non other than Mr.Ugly,Lee Van Clef himself,(I know he was the bad one in the Clint Eastwood picture,but in another western movie he's referred to as Mr.Ugly,unfortunately I don't remember the name of that movie right now).
Lee shoots the radioactive isotope into the monster and he screams out in horrible pain and dies.
Loosely based on a Ray Bradbury story in the Saturday Evening Post called The Fog Horn,in which a sea monster hears the foghorn,thinking it's another monster,he rushes to meet it,needless to say when he sees it's a lighthouse,he dies of a broken heart.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 09:25:15 AM »

this was the beast of the time, stop-motion movies! TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

yeah no.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (Capsule Review) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.