Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:12:04 PM
713373 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Great tv trivia........... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Great tv trivia...........  (Read 8682 times)
respectmeordye3
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 03, 2007, 01:36:23 PM »

Just some trivial tv show stuff.....

I have these old books called "Nitpicker's Guide To Star Trek:TNG---If you have never heard of these, basically they just point out all the bloopers that were done during the show--the books are really quite funny, and they have them avalible for TNG, DS9, the classic Star Trek, and X-Files. Anyway, one of the funniest bits they point out is the poker games the high ranking officers play. What's the big deal?

Well let's take a look at who exactly is involved in these games.

Data: An android who can remember every single card in the deck.

Troi: As an empath who can read minds, she can very likely tell if you are bluffing or not.

Riker: Even if he knows someone has a hand that can beat his he will dismiss that person's hand--at least he will if they are female.

La Forge: The guy is blind, yes. However his VISOR has been revealed in several episodes to show him when a person is lying.

Worf: He's a Klingon. Klingons have extremely violent tempers. Do you really wanna play with this guy and be around him if he loses?

Are these really the kind folks you wanna play poker with?
respectmeordye3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:43:24 PM »

Anyone remember Sliders? It was that great sci-fi series about alternate dimensions of earth.

Then of course the whole thing went down the tubes as soon as the Kromags were introduced, and most of the cast killed off and replaced with annoying characters.

One of the best episodes--while the series still rocked--was when they landed on that earth where Rembrant was as huge as Elvis, and the Beatles combined. Without a doubt the best scene was when the Prof. blew his stack because he kept being mistaken for Opera legend L. Pavorati (sp?) and as an Englishman he took great offense to being called an Italian.

Hilarious.

I loved it when he snapped:

music geek: "Ohhhh Mr. Pavorati!, it is an honor to have you here!"

Prof: I AM NOT MISTER PAVORATI!, MISTER PAVORATI SPEAK-A LIKE-A THIS-A BECAUSE HE IS AN ITALIAN!........DO IIIIIIIIIIIII SPEAK-A LIKE-A THIS-A?........NO! WHY? BECAUSE I AM AN ENGLISHMAN YOU BLOODY TWIT!"
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 12:09:34 AM »

That episode of Sliders kept mentioning Jerry O'Connell's character as the return of Jim Morrison. 

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
respectmeordye3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 01:51:15 PM »

good times.

Damn Kromaggs ruined everything.
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 01:40:41 AM »

I have a book called the 'Science of Star Trek' it puts real world know physics to the world of Star Trek.

Has a things in it that if teleportation was possible it would take more power than the SUN to transport someone across a room.

If you was to go from 0 to light speed instantly you would vaporize. So they added the inertial damping field to skirt around this problem. But since space has no friction you have to rely on gravitational sling shots to move through space.

But we always have unknown physics to rely on, there is still much to learn.

My main nitpicker with Star Trek is nearly everyone is the same size and pretty much all of them speak English.

Theoretically there are stars larger than our solar system, which mean there can be planets larger than our sun and if a planet larger than our sun could support life, reason has it that life on that planet would be much larger as in 1000's of times larger and equally 1000's of times smaller.

RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 10:38:54 AM »

My favorite nitpick with Trek is their whole warp-factor thing.  I think, when the captains declare warp-factor such and such, they're implying how much faster than light they're travelling sort of how Mach represents how much faster than sound you're going.  The thing is, warping space has nothing to do with speed in relation to the speed of light. It's only technically faster than light travel.  Warping space is a theoretical process of physically joinging two points in space and instantaneously moving from one to the other.

String Theory and M-Theory have been exploring this as a theoretical possibility since their inception since the foundation of those theories rely on space existing on a plane or a membrane that can be bent.  The power necessary to affect gravity in such a way is unheard of, though.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 10:53:57 AM »

My main nitpicker with Star Trek is nearly everyone is the same size and pretty much all of them speak English.

I thought they explained that.  Didn't the badge communicators have a built-in universal translator?

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 12:45:35 PM »

I thought they explained that.  Didn't the badge communicators have a built-in universal translator?

True, but how can you instantly translate a language of a being or civilization you've had no prior contact with if you have no base phrase or knowledge base to decipher it from? You still need a Rosette Stone for their language.

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 01:45:02 PM »

True, but how can you instantly translate a language of a being or civilization you've had no prior contact with if you have no base phrase or knowledge base to decipher it from? You still need a Rosette Stone for their language.

Prepare to enter super-geek territory:  I think they explained this in Voyager by saying that the universal translator picks up speech patterns that are common in all spoken languages and translates them...that's why they were able to speak English with the unknown aliens in the Delta Quadrant. 

If they wanted to show the translator working properly they'd have to dub the alien characters like a kung-fu movie.   BounceGiggle

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........

respectmeordye3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 02:32:57 PM »

I never understood why this "Federation" that was supposedly so much for exploration and the learning of alien races etc.-----consisted almost entirely of humans. Just for once I would like to see see a Federation ship consisting mostly of alien races.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 06:36:14 PM »

Prepare to enter super-geek territory:  I think they explained this in Voyager by saying that the universal translator picks up speech patterns that are common in all spoken languages and translates them...that's why they were able to speak English with the unknown aliens in the Delta Quadrant. 

If they wanted to show the translator working properly they'd have to dub the alien characters like a kung-fu movie.   BounceGiggle

I'll see your super-geek and raise you ultra-geek:

Verb use, even in earth languages the verb use changes.
Example in English (Latin/Germanic) on would say...
"I did not go to the store today."
In Japanese (agglutinative) translated to English the sentence structure is ...
Today, I went to the store not."

So The computer would not only have to know instantly what they are saying but also the sentence structure and subject, object, verb usage of that civilization. Because the computer starts translating from the very first word said with no time for analysis, the computer would also have to know dialectic variations, regional or planetary accents, slang, vernacular and words just unique to the culture with no English translation, just as there are in many of earths languages some words just do not translate. The computer would have to know all that from the very first word.

What's the English word for Sushi? It's not 'raw fish' that's 'sashimi'.

And yes to be 100% accurate the mouth would have to lip the native language and the voice sound English, much like a Honk Kong cinema. And what about those creatures that do not speak but use telekinesis, why is it that the crew hears them in English? Can they transmit thought without mental language?

Now that's nitpicken'

Actually as long as the show is good, who cares. My personal favs in the sci-fi are FarScape, Babylon 5, Firefly, and Battlestar G. Star Trek with the exception of DS9 is to goody-goody idealistic world for me.

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 07:29:37 PM »

Actually as long as the show is good, who cares. My personal favs in the sci-fi are FarScape, Babylon 5, Firefly, and Battlestar G. Star Trek with the exception of DS9 is to goody-goody idealistic world for me.

And don't forget the good Doctor!

I can't wait for the new season of Dr. Who!

respectmeordye3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 10:27:46 AM »

I'll see your super-geek and raise you ultra-geek:

Verb use, even in earth languages the verb use changes.
Example in English (Latin/Germanic) on would say...
"I did not go to the store today."
In Japanese (agglutinative) translated to English the sentence structure is ...

So The computer would not only have to know instantly what they are saying but also the sentence structure and subject, object, verb usage of that civilization. Because the computer starts translating from the very first word said with no time for analysis, the computer would also have to know dialectic variations, regional or planetary accents, slang, vernacular and words just unique to the culture with no English translation, just as there are in many of earths languages some words just do not translate. The computer would have to know all that from the very first word.

What's the English word for Sushi? It's not 'raw fish' that's 'sashimi'.

And yes to be 100% accurate the mouth would have to lip the native language and the voice sound English, much like a Honk Kong cinema. And what about those creatures that do not speak but use telekinesis, why is it that the crew hears them in English? Can they transmit thought without mental language?

Now that's nitpicken'

Actually I have to disagree with you there.....I actually like the goody-goody mentality of Star Trek. I never really cared for the dime a dozen "bleak future" that most sci-fi shows do. I mean basically If you've seen one you seen them all. I think that is what makes me like Star Trek- it's goes in a way that most if not all other sci-fi shows don't go and shows the future as mostly positive and something to look forward to.(most of them anyway--I was always only a partial fan of DS9 and the new Dax kinda ruined that for me--she sucked and got on the nerves very quickly.The original Dax was good looking and she was likeable as well. DS9 went even further down when Worf joined up. I didn't like the new look he had and his character just did not seem to fit on the show. One of the things I did like though was the addition of O'Brien as a regular cast member rather than just a guest star type character. Instead of Worf I really woulda prefered someone else who got almost no time on TNG--someone like say.......Barclay?

Although I was never very much for DS9 however, I gotta say the worst series was the one with Scott Bakula--a shame since he showed so much promise and was awesome in Quantum Leap......he was also a good choice as a Captain. But Enterprise lost my vote--Bakula or no Bakula when they decided they needed to "re-write" the universe and say the last four series never happened.

hated that.
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 01:09:38 PM »

This suit is black not.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 08:07:51 PM »

This suit is black not.
Black was suit not.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Great tv trivia........... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.