Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:46:14 AM
714359 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Outer Limits: The Zanti Misfits « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Outer Limits: The Zanti Misfits  (Read 38870 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: March 04, 2008, 05:15:18 PM »

Cry havoc and let loose the ants of war!  A prison ship, filled with intelligent insects from outer space, lands on Earth.  The aliens promise "Total Destruction" to anyone who invades their privacy.  Of course, somebody invades their privacy.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 12:15:53 AM »

Personally I think this is one of the most unnerving hours of television ever put on the airwaves. Those Zanti Misfits are creepy as hell. And I love the early stuff with Bruce Dern. Here's a portion of what I had to say about it in the TV Files back in the day when they existed: ""The Zanti Misfits" are not for the weak of heart...these creepy critters will make your spine crawl, your body itch, your fear rise...you may even look around your room nervously as cold shivers run up and down your spine as you witness their revolting form and their hideous actions (so much so they entirely overshadow the forgettable regular cast). The bizarre humming whine they make and the scratching sound of their feet as they approach is something that will stay with you whether you want it to or not...so why did the perfectionist civilized Zanti inhabitants send these Misfits to our world? Well the answer says more about humanity maybe than we would ever want to admit about ourselves."

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jk
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 01:20:43 PM »

Buggedout Interesting!

Didn't know there were shows like this even in the 60's
I will check this series.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 02:33:21 PM »

Meat Beat Manifesto included excerpts from this episode on screen during their live show a couple years ago. They will be in my town again in about a month and I'm excited.

Meat Beat Manifesto, I mean, not the Zanti.

PS (Meat Beat Manifesto goes from punk industrial hip hop to funky electro jazz (( mixes that USUALLY never work)) over the course of almost two decades and I recommend them to everyone regardless of their taste in music.) 

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Brandi
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »

Is there some reason the front page only shows this getting 1 drop instead of 4?
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 06:01:41 PM »

Is there some reason the front page only shows this getting 1 drop instead of 4?

That would be me, screwing up.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
TheMark
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 08:39:36 PM »

Ah the outer limits...science fiction for pure science fiction's sake.  Is there a show on TV now that is willing to do what the old Outer limits did? Tell a story just because it was interesting? Some might have had some half assed moral lesson, but the best were just an interesting tale. Even the newer Outer Limits seemed to have missed the point of the old series.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 09:15:17 AM »

Funny thing about the Outer Limits... it manages to get the mix of campy/bizarre/ thought-provoking almost right every time. It's the kind of show that I always preferred over the Twilight Zone for its odd touches. I caught this episode on TV once right in the middle of the epic showdown and I couldn't stop laughing. To me, it's both weird and silly. Episodes like "Moonstone" & "Specimen Unknown" seemed to have a deeper message... but this one... heh, just good fun. The only weirder episode I've ever seen would probably be "Don't Open 'til Doomsday". Giving a blank box with a tiny peephole in it a sense of menace is something that either borders on being very creative or being just weird.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 04:28:42 PM »

Hmm, don't know how anyone can not see the brilliance in the original Outer Limits, particularly that Lovecraftian inspired classic "Don't Open Till Doomsday". Its plot may seem simple (Box Demon if released upon the world will send out a signal that will start a chain of events meaning doomsday) but there's some many symbolic undertones at work in that episode, especially sexuality and repressed sexuality, it's disturbing.

SPOILER WARNING: The Zanti Misfits ultimate fate suggest we're far bigger monsters perhaps than ever they were as humanity was in fact their chosen exterminators.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Justy
Bad Movie Lover

Oh the humanity!

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 10:17:16 PM »

Ahh! This was my favorite Outer Limits episode. Those little buggers freaked me out as a kid. B&W film is so undervalued as a medium. I grew up with color, but looking back at B&W it works so well. Modern technology is as much as a shackle as a key.

-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------
Giant Claw Jr
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 10:59:58 AM »

The only reason the zantis sent their crinimals to earth is becuase they knew we couldnt stand their looks and would squish them becuase the zantis cant exicute their crinimals and they came in a toy sized space craft
Flangepart

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »

Nice...but can you get a Zanti modle kit anywhere?
Be great for your ant farm!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Spider
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 07:55:03 PM »

I remember when this episode first came on. I had nightmares for more than a week afterwards and wouldn't open the closet door, sure that they were in there waiting! In retrospect, it is now one of my favorite Outer Limits episodes.  
dulouz
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »

TOL season 1 is the TV show of my lifetime.  The most scary part of the show and thus the most important was the intro where they mimicked civil defense drills.  We were short on nuclear attacks but did learn how to duck and cover.  I lived in the tornado area where we had CD warnings weekly and the siren was the same for nuclear attacks.

I liked this ep alot...

I have a hang up about one of the minor actors.... one soldier man looks alot like Chuck Woolery, alot like him.  I checked the credits and Mr. Woolery's bio but no, no mention of the role.   

I'm not giving up.   

What do you think?

d
Howard
New Visitor

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »

I'm with dulouz. I just saw a scene from the episode and had the same reaction -- that's Chuck Woolery!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Outer Limits: The Zanti Misfits « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.