Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:38:54 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Your Top ten musical artists.... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Your Top ten musical artists....  (Read 18922 times)
Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 01:31:39 AM »

Hard to narrow down but here goes:

Radiohead
The Church
The Beach Boys
Charles Ives
Genesis
The Beatles
Brian Eno
The Flaming Lips
Talk Talk
XTC

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 08:33:25 AM »

VLADO PERLEMUTER
FATS WALLER
JOSHUA RIFKIN
MAURICE RAVEL
THE BEATLES
THE STOOGES
LED ZEPPELIN
JUNE CHRISTY
CLAUDE DEBUSSY
PIERRE MONTEUX

You've got a great taste in music, but I don't know about half your list.  Which is either a good thing or a bad thing, depending.  Usually, in the "Listening to" thread, I know who you post for the most part.  But you add someone like Claude Debussy and I"m like "Who?" Question

First, how do you know he has great taste in music if you don't know half his list?  They could be awful!

Second, are you saying you don't know who Claude Debussy is, but you recognize VLADO PERLEMUTER???

(No offense, Happy, I'm just funnin' with ya.  I'm just jealous because you don't recognize half MY list, but you don't think I have great taste in music. But you did recognize the Dead Milkmen a while back, so you'll always have a place in my heart).
Thing is though, I know most of the people and artists you listed, and am a fan of a majority of them.  In fact, of the twenty you mentioned, only 4 I'm not exactly sure who the hell they are.  But I see you listed Bach and Vivaldi.  Excellent choices there, in all seriousness. 

And yeah, I'm a bit fond of the Milkmen.  Even had them as my Myspace song/artist for a bit.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Cult Movie Mania
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 04:30:36 PM »

As you can see, I'm (still!) an '80s Waver:

1. Simple Minds
2. U2
3. Big Country
4. The Human League
5. China Crisis
6. ABC (coming to Florida Aug. 30th!!!)
7. Men Without Hats
8. Pet Shop Boys
9. The Style Council/Paul Weller
10. Ultravox

I also dig '70s/'80s alternative; people mentioned Nick Cave, Ramones, Eno, Talk Talk/Mark Hollis, Clash, Bauhaus, Killing Joke, Skinny Puppy, etc.

Your weird wide web HQ for the BEST Cult and Horror Movie coverage!
www.cultmoviemania.com
www.filthythemovie.com
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 04:54:31 PM »

Well my tastes have changed over the years but here's perhaps my all-time ten faves:

1) R.E.M.
2) Midnight Oil
3) Spirit of the West
4) The Ramones
5) The Skydiggers
6) The Misfits
7) The Clash
8) Blue Oyster Cult
9) The Cars
10) 54-40

Also really like the following: Nirvana, Pink Floyd, CCR, Bon Jovi, Tom Petty, Type O Negative, U2, The Grapes of Wrath,  P.M. Dawn, Ozzy Osbourne, Our Lady Peace, Living Colour, Lenny Kravitz, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Kinks, Black Flag, Beastie Boys, Alice Cooper

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Cult Movie Mania
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 04:50:29 AM »

1. W.A.S.P.
2. Kix
3. Overkill
4. Judas Priest
5. Whitesnake
6. Kiss
7. Megadeth
8. Ratt
9. Great White
10. Winger

Looking back, '80s metal was pretty interesting.  As mentioned, I was more of a New Waver, but had a soft spot for the gender-bending metal acts of the early '80s, such as Ratt and Twisted Sister.  Nowadays, the rivetheads and wavers find themselves in similar predicaments - that style of music is no longer around anymore, nor is it particularly revered, at least by newer generations, or am I wrong about that?

Your weird wide web HQ for the BEST Cult and Horror Movie coverage!
www.cultmoviemania.com
www.filthythemovie.com
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 09:45:31 AM »

I'm not sure I can narrow it down to 10, but here goes something:

In no particular order:
1. Tom Petty
2. Hank Williams, Sr.
3. Bing Crosby
4. The Andrews Sisters
5. They Might Be Giants
6. Petra (w/Greg Volz)
7. Tonio K.
8. Mark Heard
9. Nat "King" Cole
10. Amy Grant

With honorable mentions to
Weird Al
Martin Denny
Louis Armstrong
Barry Manilow
The Dukes of Dixieland

and a myriad of others too numerous to think of to mention right now.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 09:39:56 PM »

The Flaming Lips
Eels
Modest Mouse
Cracker
John Frusciante
Rage Against the Machine
Pixies
Rx Bandits
Weezer
Soundgarden
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 10:03:12 PM »

As you can see, I'm (still!) an '80s Waver:1. Simple Minds
2. U2
Saw SIMPLE MINDS open for the PRETENDERS on their Learning To Crawl tour, both bands were awe-inspiring.  Also saw U2 a year or two later, they were all a .25 inch high...!!  Lookingup (It was Giants Stadium.) 
Well my tastes have changed over the years but here's perhaps my all-time ten faves:
1) R.E.M. 2) Midnight Oil 3) Spirit of the West 4) The Ramones 5) The Skydiggers 6) The Misfits 7) The Clash 8) Blue Oyster Cult 9) The Cars 10) 54-40 ...
Saw MIDNIGHT OIL at The Spectrum in Philadelphia, what a great show!!!  I think it's being demolished (the theatre.)   Bluesad

In no particular order: 1. Tom Petty 2. Hank Williams, Sr. 3. Bing Crosby 4. The Andrews Sisters 5. They Might Be Giants 6. Petra (w/Greg Volz) 7. Tonio K. 8. Mark Heard 9. Nat "King" Cole 10. Amy Grant
LOUIS ARMSTRONG mentioned even before you (and not by me) would have to be my number 11... NAT KING COLE, HANK WILLIAMS would be 12 and 13 or vice versa...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 10:18:16 PM »

Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa
AC/DC
Bloodhound Gang
Marilyn Manson
Weird Al (definitely the best at what HE does)
MC Chris (Also the best at what HE does)
Ozzy Osbourne
Nine Inch Nails
Motley Crue, , in their Shout/Theater of pain days

I also have to cast an anti-vote for Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd, , IMO two of the most over-rated bands ever, along with Chicago.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 05:52:02 AM »

Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa
AC/DC
Bloodhound Gang
Marilyn Manson
Weird Al (definitely the best at what HE does)
MC Chris (Also the best at what HE does)
Ozzy Osbourne
Nine Inch Nails
Motley Crue, , in their Shout/Theater of pain days

I also have to cast an anti-vote for Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd, , IMO two of the most over-rated bands ever, along with Chicago.

I agree with you about Pink Floyd and to an extent, Zeppelin. I have a ton of respect for Led Zep, but I have never been able to get into their music, just always got bored with 'em.

Also, I nearly put Motley Crue on my list, because they were a big influence on me and the crazyness I pursued at 18.
But at the end of the day, they are not a great band musically. (Peter Cetera solo, is better than Chicago)

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 09:57:55 AM »

Motley Crue also is the epitome of the rich and famous getting away with murder. Vince Neil killed a passenger and seriously injured two others from DWI, and did 15 days in jail. I know of a person that was DWI and ran over a drunk woman laying in the road passed out and they got a number of years. Ozzy Osbourne said when the ytoured together even HE couldn't hang with their lifestyle. You're right, as musicians they kinda suck, , Mick Mars IMO is the only one with true talent.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 10:03:38 AM »

Motley Crue also is the epitome of the rich and famous getting away with murder. Vince Neil killed a passenger and seriously injured two others from DWI, and did 15 days in jail. I know of a person that was DWI and ran over a drunk woman laying in the road passed out and they got a number of years. Ozzy Osbourne said when the ytoured together even HE couldn't hang with their lifestyle. You're right, as musicians they kinda suck, , Mick Mars IMO is the only one with true talent.

Oh yeah, Mick deserves alot of credit, I don't have any respect for Motley any more now that they tour with Papa Roach & Buckcherry. Also, I was outraged when they released a box set called: "Music to crash your car to", total slap in the face for Hanoi and those victims.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 10:05:50 AM »

As you can see, I'm (still!) an '80s Waver:1. Simple Minds
2. U2
Saw SIMPLE MINDS open for the PRETENDERS on their Learning To Crawl tour, both bands were awe-inspiring.  Also saw U2 a year or two later, they were all a .25 inch high...!!  Lookingup (It was Giants Stadium.) 
1) R.E.M. 2) Midnight Oil 3) Spirit of the West 4) The Ramones 5) The Skydiggers 6) The Misfits 7) The Clash 8) Blue Oyster Cult 9) The Cars 10) 54-40 ...
Saw MIDNIGHT OIL at The Spectrum in Philadelphia, what a great show!!!  I think it's being demolished (the theatre.)   Bluesad

Yeah, it's being demolished at the end of the 2009 season for the Phantoms.  That's in April, so I'm guessing sometime in May it'll be down.  

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 02:06:14 PM »

can't figure out whether to do a list based on what I would class as genuine musical accomplishment, or just based on what I personally like to listen to, which is sometimes the opposite...

for example, this track doesnt really have any musical 'merit' but I listen to it all the time.

Small | Large
  Thumbup

and then you've got someone like Miles Davis who is a true pioneer and a genius, but I just can't listen to his music for more than 20 seconds without wanting to turn it off!

Small | Large
  Thumbdown

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
darthchicken
Bad Movie Lover

"If my rhyme was a drug, I'd sell it by the gram"

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 06:55:51 PM »

I find it hard to pick favorites, but here they are in no real order.

Guns N' Roses
The Doors
Black Sabbath
Rage Against the Machine
Nirvana
Alice in Chains
The Clash
The Ramones
Hendrix
Creedence Clearwater Revival

"His coconut gun can fire in spurts. If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt!" - James Madison
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Your Top ten musical artists.... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.