Main Menu

What Magazines Do You Read?

Started by Mr. DS, October 15, 2008, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ER

OK, you asked for it... National Geographic, Entertainment Weekly, Galway Now, People, Smithsonian, Playboy, Newsweek, The New Yorker, The Southern Review, Adventure Cyclist, Reminisce, The Atlantic Monthly, Women's Health, The Ontario Review, Down East, Ireland of the Welcomes, Reader's Digest, Inside Tennis, Chocolatier, National Geographic Traveler....and a few others, but I'll stop here. Obviously it's all part of my holy mission to keep the American publishing industry on its feet. :-)
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

HappyGilmore

Used to get a bunch of magazine's delivered.  Nowadays, with the prices of some of them, it's easier to just go to the store and pick which ones I want, if I want any that particular week.

But, I usually try to pick up: Mad, Fangoria, Maxim, Pro Wrestling Illustrated/The Wrestler, and the occasional Playboy, but I feel dirty doing it cause it's only available around here at Borders, and the 17 year old girls who work the register give me that look.

Although, I do get both The Amazing Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk delivered.  But their 'comics' not magazines.
"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don't get too close, it's dark inside.
It's where my demons hide, it's where my demons hide.

Mr. DS

I used to "read" Playboy.  Then I graduated into other mags in the plastic wrap at the newstand.   :bouncegiggle:  I haven't bought any magazines with nudity in the last 10 years I'd say.  Probably for the best seeing I have a two year old son who would eventually find it and ask questions I'd rather not answer.   
DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall

Trevor

Quote from: Rev. Powell on October 15, 2008, 03:48:27 PM
The only magazine I get now is VIDEOSCOPE, because Joe Kane can't figure out how to operate Microsoft FrontPage and put up a simple website.

:teddyr:

Magazines in South Africa are way too pricey for me and Starlog and Fangoria aren't on our shelves anymore. I stick to local magazines instead ~ we only have one film industry trade paper and that can be found here www.screenafrica.com.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

HappyGilmore

Quote from: The DarkSider on October 16, 2008, 09:20:43 PM
I used to "read" Playboy.  Then I graduated into other mags in the plastic wrap at the newstand.   :bouncegiggle:  I haven't bought any magazines with nudity in the last 10 years I'd say.  Probably for the best seeing I have a two year old son who would eventually find it and ask questions I'd rather not answer.   
In all honesty though, outside of the nudity, they do have some cool articles.  Kinda like Maxim, only the girls aren't in bikinis.  Just naked.

Ash

I used to get a subscription to Playboy several years ago.
They do have some good articles in there.
Plus it's a badge of honor and manhood to turn the magazine vertically and check out the centerfold.   :thumbup: 
That's something that's done in almost every movie.  Whenever people look at a dirty mag in movies, they are obligated to turn it on its end.

Trevor

Quote from: Ash on October 17, 2008, 08:38:40 AM
That's something that's done in almost every movie.  Whenever people look at a dirty mag in movies, they are obligated to turn it on its end.

:teddyr: I remember Emilio Estevez in National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1doing exactly that, Ash. However, when he turned the centrefold on its end, it was the "Gun Of The Month" and he said "Ohhhhh, baby..."  :teddyr:
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

HappyGilmore

I used to get a subscription to Playboy several years ago.
They do have some good articles in there.
Plus it's a badge of honor and manhood to turn the magazine vertically and check out the centerfold.   :thumbup: 

I used to work in a nursing home, from the time I was about 21-23.  About 4 years ago or so.  I worked with a bunch of kids, like, 16-19 or so, mostly girls.  We went on break one night, they're telling me stories about buying various sex toys (don't know how that whole thing got started), and they brought up Playboy.  The one girl says, "I really liked looking at it, cause they had some really great article written in it.  I thought it was just wall to wall naked chicks, but it's not."  Thus leading to a whole other discussion about various other adult mags.  Good times at that place.

Quote from: Trevor on October 17, 2008, 09:39:25 AM

:teddyr: I remember Emilio Estevez in National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1doing exactly that, Ash. However, when he turned the centrefold on its end, it was the "Gun Of The Month" and he said "Ohhhhh, baby..."  :teddyr:
Underrated movie, by the way.  I loved the cameo by Bruce Willis as John McClane when they blew up his trailer.  He's like, "No, it's half a block down the OTHER direction." 

CheezeFlixz

Quote from: HappyGilmore on October 16, 2008, 08:42:50 PM
and the occasional Playboy, but I feel dirty doing it cause it's only available around here at Borders, and the 17 year old girls who work the register give me that look.

Just hold the magazine up next to her face and say in your best voice ...

"You know, you'd look good on the cover."

if see smiles say ... "but better in the center."

ToyMan

i've enjoyed the last few issues of horrorhound magazine. i used to like reading fortean times, but it's hard to come by, and got way too expensive.

HappyGilmore

Quote from: CheezeFlixz on October 18, 2008, 12:38:31 AM
and the occasional Playboy, but I feel dirty doing it cause it's only available around here at Borders, and the 17 year old girls who work the register give me that look.

I should try that.   :wink:

Rev. Powell

Alert for RC: Bela's on the cover of the Fall 2008 VIDEOSCOPE (sorry, don't recognize the movie it's from).
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Patient7

Quote from: HappyGilmore on October 18, 2008, 08:41:20 AM
Quote from: CheezeFlixz on October 18, 2008, 12:38:31 AM

I should try that.   :wink:

Don't forget to duck when she slapps, while sherecovers from the miss you can run away.
Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.

JJ80

I used to read "Q" the British popular music magazine (not the winged serpent) and NME (really more of a newspaper) as well as "G-Fan" magazine, but I never really bought them religiously or subscribed to them. I tend to read about my regular interests online nowadays. It's far cheaper and the articles are more up to date.
There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack